ExPo's 2000 7.3 Excursion Build

KeyserSoSay

Adventurer
Lol all about perception. You say youd like to spend more time in a 4x4, id like health insurance and a retirement plan haha. Though I still will choose to work the rest of my life without retirement if it means I get to spend more time in nature. :)

I love it. I work as a game warden for the past 18 years. It's pretty much every day that someone tells me how lucky I am, and I have a standard response: You could be a professional ice-cream taster, but as long as you have to be a certain place, and do a certain thing, it's still a job. I've come to understand that no day I've ever spent building or creating something in my shop has ever felt like work- I'm sure that would change the moment I had to be in there for a payday, and all I'd want to do is be out in the woods in my truck. We're a fickle little primate.

Nice build, and great work in general here on the ExPo.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
I love it. I work as a game warden for the past 18 years. It's pretty much every day that someone tells me how lucky I am, and I have a standard response: You could be a professional ice-cream taster, but as long as you have to be a certain place, and do a certain thing, it's still a job. I've come to understand that no day I've ever spent building or creating something in my shop has ever felt like work- I'm sure that would change the moment I had to be in there for a payday, and all I'd want to do is be out in the woods in my truck. We're a fickle little primate.

Nice build, and great work in general here on the ExPo.

Thanks! yeah it's funny how that works :)

Marine

Adventurer
Your excursion is looking great. The wife saw it and dropped a hint, you know you could trade your cummins in and get one of those. Got me thinking how would a dead elk fit in the back :) and would it fly with the powers that be? Anyway keep the pics coming and keep up the good work

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Your excursion is looking great. The wife saw it and dropped a hint, you know you could trade your cummins in and get one of those. Got me thinking how would a dead elk fit in the back :) and would it fly with the powers that be? Anyway keep the pics coming and keep up the good work

That's why there's tarps. Or you use it as an excuse to buy a matching trailer to haul the elk ;)

Marine

Adventurer
You might be in to something there. We are looking at adopting siblings (4) and the room would be nice, and a trailer well that would be the cherry on top.

screwball48

Explorer
e21629f3ba12a1f8556a15c132292d16.jpg

Ooooo....build one like this but out of a matching body style Super Duty bed! Bonus points if it is color matched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dman93

Adventurer
I've owned three Toyota 4wds and a few other smaller 4wds, but never a diesel, or a full-size domestic pickup or SUV. But somehow I've long had a hankering for Excursions. My neighbor has a (stock) 7.3 4wd that I often cast covetous glances at. Thanks for letting us follow along.

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
So as I mentioned I screwed up the platform in the back. As it turns out, the third row needs to be flat against the carpet to lock in so any sleeping platform must be removable between the second row and rear of third row. So here is what im thinking and I would appreciate any feedback.

1. The platform is constructed of three independent sections - The cargo deck and fridge section / and two more sections of equal length spanning to the foot well of the third row just behind second row.
2. The fridge / cargo section utilizes the same tie in points I used for this platform and is secured with flush bolts.
3. The subsequent two sections are hinged with soss hinges to keep things flush. This will allow them to fold back and up against the cargo rack to rest vertically, therefor clearing the space for the third row.
4. To keep things flat, the existing fold flat backs of the second row need a spacer to level them with the platform. This is a permanent fixture and I will use it as a lip for slam latched on the forward piece of the folding platform.

This all sounds confusing when I write it out so I have attached some terrible sketches I just made on my note pad. Please hit me with every opinion and though as they may just save me from making another mistake :)

screwball48

Explorer
Are the original seat covers on the Ex a single sewn style of covering or are they a sewn front with a carpeted rear panel fastened on to the seat frame?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Are the original seat covers on the Ex a single sewn style of covering or are they a sewn front with a carpeted rear panel fastened on to the seat frame?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are carpeted to the rear.

Also I just got the truck back and looked. It will only need one hinge so it should be really simple!

screwball48

Explorer
I was thinking that if the rear seat back was a carpeted panel you could remove it. Then use the panel as a template and cut out a replacement from HDPE like starboard in your desired thickness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
That's not a bad idea. We shall see! For now Im just going to proceed with the platform as is since im moving to Texas on friday. Once im settled in there Ill start tackling this piece by piece in the garage.

I also owe everyone an update on the switch pro system I installed and the airbag system coming in tomorrow. (or so amazon says. always late here)

mccustomize

Explorer
That's not a bad idea. We shall see! For now Im just going to proceed with the platform as is since im moving to Texas on friday. Once im settled in there Ill start tackling this piece by piece in the garage.

I also owe everyone an update on the switch pro system I installed and the airbag system coming in tomorrow. (or so amazon says. always late here)

What part of Texas? we have a great group on FB called Texas Overland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nepaltourism