F-150 vs F250-350 SD 1998-2003

Shaunnan

Hello all, my wife and I are actively searching for a truck to be our next rig. I'm exclusively looking for trucks with the 2V Triton motors. 1997-2003 F-series trucks.
This will be a vehicle that we would hopefully travel to Central and eventually South America in. If you have some experience in international travel please chime in.

My main question is total vehicle weight and payload, and how that translates off road. I come from a background of off-road motorcycle travel where the wisdom is the lighter you are the better of you'll be. I would only assume this would also be true in the world of 4 wheels(+) off-roading. We like to go to the far out places but are by no means hardcore 4x4 enthusiasts. I would intend to keep the vehicle practically stock except for slightly taller AT tires. I would like to have the option to carry a pop up slide in camper which a 250-350 would carry well off road, but unfortunately I believe the 150 would quite stressed even with a lightweight slide In like a 4 wheelcamper it would very close to the GVWR once everything is loaded. If we did go with the F150 we would have a fiberglass bed topper type of setup. Which we might would do with the 250 as well, just would like to have the option to carry a few more amenities.

So my primary question is for off-road travel/international travel is there any notable reasons to go with the smaller and a bit lighter F-150? Or is the 1000-1500 pound difference marginal?

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
One thing to bear in mind with that generation of F150 7700 or F250 is the 7 lug wheels. If anything happens to one, it may be tough to find a replacement. Personally, if you are wanting to be around those years, look for a '99-'03 Super Duty. Added bonus you'd have solid axles too. (Not sure the type of travel you are doing, but they could be a plus if heading off pavement)

Your adventure reminds me a bit of the book 'The Drive' by Theresa Bruce.

Screenshot 2023-10-03 084351.png

Shaunnan

I'm looking at the 5 lug axle on the f150 or the super duty, I wouldn't consider the 7lug unless I found a screaming deal on one. The solid front axle is a huge bonus on the super duty's. I'm definitely leaning towards a super duty, I don't think there's much if anything that it wouldn't do compared to the 150. It's just the extra weight I wonder about in slippery situations.

I've owned both. The differences are pretty much what you would expect. The F150 rode nicer, and the turning radius was significantly better. The F250 has a solid axle and leaf springs under the front end. It rides rougher than the F150, but way better than the OBS solid axle trucks. Turning radius is not great. Fuel economy differences were insignificant, but the F250 didn't have the failure prone cam phasers. F250 hubs can be locked manually in case the vacuum system for the 4WD fails.

If I was in your shoes I would buy the F250. Our trucks spend a lot of time off road doing farm chores, and the weight was never a problem. The bigger cab, bigger bed, and more robust components were worth the few small drawbacks.

The V10 power bump is nice, but the exhaust manifolds are a huge mother-effer to keep straight. If the V8 has enough power for you, I can't think of a reason the V10 is better. Both are fairly easy to work on.

Shaunnan

I'll find out if it has enough power soon enough. Picking up a northern lite next Tuesday, #1875 dry. According to my local scrap yard's scale my truck only has about 2400# payload capacity. That only leaves about 250# after me and my wife are in the truck, still need water, food and gear. Ouch. I know I could upgrade the truck to handle it just fine but for legal reasons that sucks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad

Members online