F-350 crew cab 8’ bed

MOAK

Adventurer
A few years ago I was impressed by an F-350 used by contractors that had no issues navigating Elephant Hill. The truck was bone stock with a septic tank and a cleaning tank mounted on it so the obviously got it down to Horsehoof Campsite. Anyone else get their full size down in there? Long bed? Short bed? Stories?

phsycle

Adventurer
Did they make it through SOB? I’ve seen power wagons struggle through that.
I’ve only taken a Jeep through it.
I’m sure full-size is fine although NPS does say no vehicles over 21’.

MOAK

Adventurer
Did they make it through SOB? I’ve seen power wagons struggle through that.
I’ve only taken a Jeep through it.
I’m sure full-size is fine although NPS does say no vehicles over 21’.
The sign does say that, but I’ve gotten through with cruzer & trailer at 26ft. ( articulated of course not the same as 22 solid feet) ya, they’d had to have shoved it through SOB in order to get to the pit toilets at each camp down there. As I recall there is a pit toilet at the Joint trail head as well.

rruff

Explorer
A few years ago I was impressed by an F-350 used by contractors that had no issues navigating Elephant Hill.
I'd buy a F-450 CC if I wanted offroad capability and big camper hauling. Much sharper turning with SS wheels, better articulation with a pivoting subframe, bigger tank option, and a wide choice of wheelbases. If you don't need the back seat for people, a regular cab with storage on the bed would be ideal IMO.

Pardon if I've already voiced my opinion to you...

MOAK

Adventurer
I'd buy a F-450 CC if I wanted offroad capability and big camper hauling. Much sharper turning with SS wheels, better articulation with a pivoting subframe, bigger tank option, and a wide choice of wheelbases. If you don't need the back seat for people, a regular cab with storage on the bed would be ideal IMO.

Pardon if I've already voiced my opinion to you...
Thanks, you’ve given me reason to look into this option. Coming from the transport industry and my knowledge of trucks I’m attracted to the 450, however it is way too much truck for our needs and/or wants. The camper scales out at 1,700 lbs. Our maximum weight will be less than 2,200 lbs. The 350 is a little too much, but the 250 not quite enough. Another consideration is cost. We do have a budget that cannot be exceeded and the 450 along with a proper flatbed and custom storage boxes would far exceed our means.

Thanks, you’ve given me reason to look into this option. Coming from the transport industry and my knowledge of trucks I’m attracted to the 450, however it is way too much truck for our needs and/or wants. The camper scales out at 1,700 lbs. Our maximum weight will be less than 2,200 lbs. The 350 is a little too much, but the 250 not quite enough. Another consideration is cost. We do have a budget that cannot be exceeded and the 450 along with a proper flatbed and custom storage boxes would far exceed our means.
IMO, get the F350. It’s not that much more expensive, you’ll have a lot of capacity (I’d have to check the door sticker, but I believe mine is rated at 4400#) for what ever comes next, and typically resale is better on a 1 ton.

phsycle

Adventurer
Do you really need an 8’ bed? A Supercrew with standard bed is long enough for those type of trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taunger