F150 trim/flare question

emoddriver

Howdy,

Been lurking a while and finally got the nerve to ask a question.

I have a '97 F150 reg. cab short bed that i have been slowly converting to something more overland worthy (Shell, trans pan protection, platform+bed etc). My question is specifically surrounding trimming the fenders for tire clearance. I have looked on the internet a bunch and havent found any examples of people trimming to fit 35" tires. I will likely only get approval once (in a few years) to buy a set of wheels and tires so if I can go 35's with a bit of cutting/flare action I would prefer do do it once. We spend most of our time in Colorado tooling around the trails there and I could use another inch and a half of clearance. I am running the 265's right now for reference.

I know I can throw the 285/75/16's on there with minimal adjustment and am on the fence between those or a trim/35" option. I know a that the F150 can be lifted but I would prefer not to raise the CG and with the IFS I really dont gain a whole lot of clearance due to the torsion bar setup. Going solid axle up front would be too hard to get budget approval on.

Anyone have experience or pictures of some 35's and some trimming on an otherwise stock '97-'03 F150?

Thanks,

-Mark

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
You could do a body lift and put the 35s on. You can cut the fenders and put on Bushwacker flares. I would do a body lift and the flares.:smiley_drive:

chet

island Explorer
i HAVE A '99 ON 265'S as well and anyone I have seen that runs 35's eat ball joints. They don't last long as it is! My one buddy gets around a year per set and his truck never sees dirt.

emoddriver

Thanks for the replies.

I think I will go with the 285-75-16's and focus a bit more on my underbody protection. It always spooks my co-driver (wife) when we clank into a hard thing with underbody stuff...

As for ball joints, I once had a week-long vacation hosed when one of my LBJ's started clacking during a trip that halted in the Ouray, CO area. Missed the alpine loop because of it. Now I replace them annually with the Moog units with a zerk. Likely overkill but I hate to say I am getting pretty good at swapping them out. I am almost considering having an extra set of lower control arms around with new ones but haven't tried to pull the torsion bars out of a set yet to know how hard it is.

My uppers seem to do just fine so far.

Thanks again

-Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal