F150 with the Heavy Duty Payload Package?

D45

Explorer
I had the max tow and max payload package in my 2012 F150

Had 2400 - 2600 pounds in the bed.......no problem at all

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Almost assure you can!

Surprising more folks don't special order vehicles to their exact liking, versus hunting for something all around the country and making compromises.

Go to local dealer, spec out EXACTLY what you want, be patient, upon arrival, enjoy EXACTLY what you want. The End

This boggles my mind. I mean it paid my wages when I was a 17 year old kid. People would come in asking for a specific model, trim, accesories, etc and we'd (by that I mean the salesman) find one 30 miles away so I'd take one of our stock and trade it with that dealership. Without people willing to pay the fee instead of driving 30 miles I wouldn't have had a job.

Also had no idea that 7-lug F150s existed. I had seen it as option on some sites dropdown selections. I had thought it was more of a non-Super Duty F250 thing.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I searched for my current truck because of end of the year pricing. Completely basic XL, trying to build a new copy of my dream truck which was a 2001 6.8l F250 Lariat with a rubber floor. An XL today is only leather seats away from being a 2001 Lariat. And I don't like leather seats.

XL's on the lot included the power groups, and Fx4 for less than my build sheet. Or about $38k for CC,SB.

OP, what exactly is this truck for? Towing, hauling what? Bigger tires or lockers in the future?

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
This boggles my mind. I mean it paid my wages when I was a 17 year old kid. People would come in asking for a specific model, trim, accesories, etc and we'd (by that I mean the salesman) find one 30 miles away so I'd take one of our stock and trade it with that dealership. Without people willing to pay the fee instead of driving 30 miles I wouldn't have had a job.

Well... In my (and i am sure many others) case.. Sometimes said wanted vehicle simply doesnt exsist, so it must be special ordered..

D

Deleted member 9101

I had an XL with the 3.5, max tow, and HDPP for 170k as a work truck. Only repair in that time was an alternator. It got an oil change every 5k and spark plugs at 100k. It had no problem towing 10k and staying in the left hand lane. It spent hours on end ideling and was never babied.

Many of the "problems" with the 3.5 are operator error. Just run full synthetic oil and change it every 5k and the cam phasers will last a looong time.

wanabxtrm

Observer
I have one and love it; though the tremor definitely has my interest. 2016 f150 hdpp; lariat fx4 with most options ~2100 lb payload. Mileage is 17ish combined on BFG2’s; 19-21 highway; 14-15 city. Stock Goodyear mpg was slightly better (lighter tire). Towing a 5k dual axle 7x14 enclosed trailer is about 10 mpg depending on terrain and winds/speed etc. no issues really of note to report at 50k; other than a half shaft replacement due to vibes on the bearing early on.

It’s mostly stock still; other than topper and rack and internal bed upgrades.

what specifically did you want to know?

badm0t0rfinger

Raptor Apologist.
Well... In my (and i am sure many others) case.. Sometimes said wanted vehicle simply doesnt exsist, so it must be special ordered..

I mean.... I'm agreeing with you. Some people would be willing to settle on something built "close enough" because they could have us fetch a car thats 30 or 40 miles away and have it within a day or two. If I'm buying new again I'm going to order exactly what I want again. Remember most people on this forum are not the average buyer, usually we know exactly what we want and are willing to budge... when I worked at the dealership people would come in and ask them what they wanted and they'd respond with "... I dunno, a sedan or something". My favorite was greeting a customer and they said they didn't care what their next vehicle was, as long as a certain salesmen sold them it. They left with a Platinum F150.

I lucked out and found a truck spec-ed exactly how I would have ordered it, and it was cheaper to ship that custom order at a dealership Hawaii.

wanabxtrm

Observer
PS...
The 3.5 really shines in the mountains over a NA v8. first 30-40k miles were in CO going back and forth over the front range to camp and up to the Ike and back to ski. Mileage would probably be better with the air dam (but it would get ripped off quick) I only used premium when I was towing on the heavy side over a long distance. Otherwise I use normal octane no issues.

Can’t find one from recently; but here’s a few in use (including trailers). Could have used a lift over some of them rocks but the skid plates did their job; and water crossings/snow up to the lower air inlet vanes (lower inter cooler) haven’t caused any headaches yet (knock on wood).

the 5.0 allows an easier hidden winch mount but you can use a hitch tray mount (my chosen solution) as an easy cheaper option.

1580954774319.jpeg57968297-8079-4A1F-A391-DDD0C24B3C24.jpegC8117C82-CC4A-4CE4-9273-5E6498C2A0B2.jpeg

Last edited:

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I'm curious to know if anyone on the forum has a newer F150 with the Heavy Duty Payload Package (HDPP), and how have you liked it? Specifically, I'm looking for feedback with the HDPP paired with the 3.5L EcoBoost engine, but happy to hear from any HDPP owners in general.

I'm researching fullsize trucks and there are a lot of back-n-forth arguments regarding the rationale of the HDPP on a F150, versus buying a 3/4 ton truck. I'm squeamish over the idea of a 3/4 ton truck in order to pull something heavy or really load it only a dozen times a year, and suffer from the maintenance costs and low fuel economy for the rest of the year.

One of the biggest arguments that I read against a F150 with HDPP is that they are hard to find. Seems like a dumb reason. While I may not find it on the lot of my local Ford dealer, I'm willing to range out from home and I'm not in a hurry to find the right truck.

Thanks for any feedback!
Neighbor has one with 4wheel camper on it. Rare super cab. He really likes it so far and doesn’t think it will need any extra suspension stuff. Tho he thought it would be needed. 2 yrs so far full time camper he’s liking it. Was very hard to find tho!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
If I bought a new truck it'd be a 3.5 Ecoboost. Ironically,with the aluminum body it provides a cushion in the event of a serious back ending which I saw last week. A Honda Accord slammed into a guys brand new F-150. The Honda's million bags deployed and it was a mess. The airbags didn't go off in the Ford as the bed crinkled up like HD Reynolds wrap. No bags and the guy walked.
Here in California the Lemon law doesn't pertain to used trucks,so I'd get a modest new one. The cabs are cavernous on the Fords.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
If I bought a new truck it'd be a 3.5 Ecoboost. Ironically,with the aluminum body it provides a cushion in the event of a serious back ending which I saw last week. A Honda Accord slammed into a guys brand new F-150. The Honda's million bags deployed and it was a mess. The airbags didn't go off in the Ford as the bed crinkled up like HD Reynolds wrap. No bags and the guy walked.
Here in California the Lemon law doesn't pertain to used trucks,so I'd get a modest new one. The cabs are cavernous on the Fords.
Wife said no pickups. I have a 2019 Expedition Platinum instead ?.So far really like it.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So Today I Learned that 7 lug wheels were a thing. Seriously I never knew that. I always thought anything with more than 5 lugs always had an even number of lugs. I guess I'll have to be more observant.

WRT strange lug arrangements, a couple of years ago at an auto parts store I saw a Chevy truck (GMT-800 body, 1999 - 2007) that was badged as a "1500 HD" (i.e. a half ton truck) and it had 8 lug wheels. Struck me as odd but I didn't have the opportunity to ask the guy what a "1500 HD" was. Seemed like a 2500 (3/4 ton) to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater