F350 SuperCab 4x4 Lariat 6.2 V8 Build Story - Completed

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
How's the Hallmark bankruptcy going to affect your camper?
Honestly not sure it will at all, they're still working as if nothing's happened, but it seems there was an issue with the old glass supplier that brought this about, hence the move to the new supplier. I am unaware of the name of the previous or current supplier, so can't help there, so I'm just hoping my dream build will be a dream build!

Unsure who the new supplier is, but the old supplier seems to be CF Maier. Seems CFM wasn't too keen on Hallmark owing them $1.75M for fiberglass; https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/important-hallmark-manufacturing-announcement/

I really hope these bumps in the road DO NOT affect your build, or future warranty/servicing!

Macfly

This got me looking, and I found a couple of posts about the C-11 and the 'Stromtrooper' rig that was my inspiration for the build...

Hah, I just realized we double-posted!!

I'm too deep in to do anything but complete the build and see where it takes me. Fingers and toes crossed for the very best of outcomes for everyone, especially Hallmark as I really liked the folks, their history and their experience with their product, which is why I went with them.

Macfly

My long, slow build story just got longer and slower, with a projected finish date now looking like mid-late September.

Since I'll be driving back to Cali from Hallmark in the Denver area I plan to take the I-70 and do several stops along the way to test out off-grid and off-road living, so love to get any suggestions from you guys of must visit spots along that route.

El_jefe_83

Mas Gains
My long, slow build story just got longer and slower, with a projected finish date now looking like mid-late September.

Since I'll be driving back to Cali from Hallmark in the Denver area I plan to take the I-70 and do several stops along the way to test out off-grid and off-road living, so love to get any suggestions from you guys of must visit spots along that route.
Is the flat bed the hold up? Dig your build. I'm considering selling my AT Summit and moving to a flat bad with removable camper.

Macfly

The biggest hold-up has actually been my own work schedule, Bowens and Hallmark for both been incredibly understanding and super helpful. I just had to slide back another three weeks, but I will be posting the story of the drive out to Denver, the build and my long, slow drive home. I'm not building mine as a quick-remove unit, as I just don't see the need for that in my travel plans, so mine will be a full-time locked-down liveaboard unit.

Last edited:

Macfly

Two weeks to D-Day, that's Denver Day, and my visit to Bowens, Juniper and then Hallmark to finally become the rig I've been dreaming of for all this time!

In preparation, I finally fitted the very well-made and thought-out Bellfab skidplate and cat cover, which I'd give a two thumbs up to.

Attachments

• IMG_6970.jpg
    IMG_6970.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6973.jpg
    IMG_6973.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_6972.jpg
    IMG_6972.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_6971.jpg
    IMG_6971.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34

Macfly

Next up, the all-important weighing to discover my final base weight, fully filled wth all upgrades installed.

Front Axle 4440 - Rear Axle 3240 for a total of 7680 lbs, so according to my door sticker rated maximum of 11300 lbs, I have 3620 lbs to play with.

It seems from reading posts around the net that the heaviest fully loaded Gunella like the one I'm getting comes close to 3200 lbs trip ready, fridge full etc, so I have approximately 400 lbs in hand for the difference of the Bowens flatbed, etc. I feel very happy with my choice of getting an F350 now I see all the weights, even though they say there isn't any chassis difference between it and the 250, especially since I swapped out the suspension.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 2.08.55 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 2.08.55 PM.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

Macfly

Yesterday was my truck's last day as a pick-up, and we did the 1022 miles from LA to Denver in 14.5 hours, holding between 70-80 mph on the freeways with a trip average of 11.1mpg. I'm super happy with the Lariat F350's outstanding comfort, it's one of the easiest long-distance platforms I've driven, and after many years with 1990's FJ80 Land Crusiers, it's great having the mod-cons of Apple connect and an excellent sound system.

I dropped the truck off at Bowens at 6:30 a.m. this morning, so the next time I see it will be when the bed gets put on.

Attachments

• IMG_7071.jpg
    IMG_7071.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 64

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad