F350 SuperCab 4x4 Lariat 6.2 V8 Build Story - Completed

Ninelitetrip

@Macfly

Saw your post about remote comms.

Are you carrying anything like a Garmin inReach?

Have a look at these two sites.

Personally I will likely go with
this setup before the expense of Starlink.

I have been looking at a Peplink MAX BR1 PRO 5GN WI-FI cellular router (MAX-BR1-PRO-5GH-T-PRM ) plus a Parsec Belgian Shepard rooftop antenna (PRO9BS4L4WG15B). Links below. The Parsec antenna has 10 cables; 4 WI-FI, 4 cellular, 1 GPS.

Enjoying your adventure, thanks for the updates.

As a complete novice to photography I appreciate your craft.

Cheers

Macfly

So now the build is done, and as those following me on Instagram ( @sumo2_is_my_name ) will have seen, I've put the finished rig through its paces covering almost 1000 miles off-road on a very circuitous route home from Denver. (more on that in the following post)

In the previous post, I left off at Bowens, so this post is dedicated to my Hallmark experience. I could not be happier with every part of the process of dealing with them as a company and with the quality of their products. My camper unit was fitted and I was fully instructed in its workings all in a single day, allowing me to get down to Santa Fe for the eclipse and the balloon festival. Hallmark is very much a family operation with everyone pitching in to make things as good as they can be, and they take great pride in their products. After living in it full-time for three weeks that pride is well justified and I can fully recommend them to anyone considering a Hallmark. It's hard to say much more than that, so if you have questions, I'm totally happy to answer them. Here's a few shots of the process of loading it onto the Bowens tray, and instead of using tiedowns I had it bolted directly into the bed, as I have no intention of taking it off.

IMG_7219.jpgIMG_7218.jpgIMG_7223.jpgIMG_7221.jpgIMG_7229.jpgIMG_7228.jpg

Last edited:

Macfly

Interiors are obviously a very personal thing, and mine honors the memory of my godfather's little sailboat that I spent a lot of time in as a kid, hence a classic wood and navy combo, which I'm super happy with. These interior shots were taken on my second night out in the rig.

Interior4.jpgInterior3.jpgInterior2.jpgInterior1.jpg

Macfly

And lastly, here's some pix of the places we got to go on the long drive home. After taking tarmac from Denver to Alberqueque for the eclipse, it was back north to Chama, NM, then over to Durango along the old narrow gauge railroad route, tarmac up to Ouray, then the Rim Rocker Trail from Montrose to the Kokopelli Trail into Moab. There up the Shaffer Trail onto Islands in the Sky, a bit of tarmac to Canyonlands, then dirt through Bears Ears to Natural Bridges and on to Valley of the Gods. Then a long tarmac stretch up to Capital Reef, from where I crisscrossed Utah off-road, and wow, is it magnificent! My final stop was also the most punishing bit of dirt of the whole trip, the rough, rocky road into Toroqweep on the north rim of the Grand Canyon._DSF7539.jpg_DSF7804.jpg_DSF7878-Pano.jpg_DSF8336.jpg_DSF8199.jpg_DSF9006-Pano.jpg_DSF8789.jpg_DSF8739-Pano.jpg_DSF9129.jpg

Macfly

I haven't yet, as once I got everything loaded up I didn't pass by any handy ones, but I will before my next long trip, planning a six weeker to go off-road and back roads out to Texas for the eclipse, so will be fully loaded and right by my local scales. (Since I'll be traveling solo I'm guessing I'll be in the 10,500 range.)

Last edited:

Macfly

@Macfly

Andrew. I would be interested in your photography setup, particularly your nightime astrophotography if you are so inclined.
I use a Fuji GFX 100s for everything, though it's a bit outside its comfort zone at night, requiring stacking a dozen sky or so exposures to get around the grain issue. 8 seconds seems to be where you need to be to 'freeze' the stars, so the 23mm f4 requires 3200iso to get there. Inside the Canyon was a new moon night, so it required a couple of dozen layers to get there, the slender crescent moon seen from the campsite up on Islands in the Sky totally flooded the lens, looking like full moon, so its technically imperfect, but it catches the spirit of the moment.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 10.46.42 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-18 at 10.46.42 AM.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 19

Ninelitetrip

I use a Fuji GFX 100s for everything, though it's a bit outside its comfort zone at night, requiring stacking a dozen sky or so exposures to get around the grain issue. 8 seconds seems to be where you need to be to 'freeze' the stars, so the 23mm f4 requires 3200iso to get there. Inside the Canyon was a new moon night, so it required a couple of dozen layers to get there, the slender crescent moon seen from the campsite up on Islands in the Sky totally flooded the lens, looking like full moon, so its technically imperfect, but it catches the spirit of the moment.

Thank you, Andrew appreciate the reply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad