Fan, temps, and pets.

Corvusvelo

Wondering if anyone has a sense of how hot/cool the rear says with a fan?
I know there are a lot of variables to the actual temp but here's what I'm wondering. Most of our trips revolve around mountain biking, but we also have a small dog that's not along for the bike part. In a #vanlife situation I can keep the temps appropriate for our pup to stay in the van for a couple hours assuming 1) It's well insulated, 2) it has appropriate cross ventilation, 3) it's not a greenhouse. For us this meant a maxxair fan running, windows covered, and additional ventilation to draw air. This kept the temps down for the pup or us to stay in with the van closed.

I don't want any idiot flipping out here. We've tested this and it works (in a van/RV). We're well aware of keeping pets in a hot vehicle and how fast they can heat up. We love our pup and wouldn't do anything to harm her. We know when it's safe to leave her in the car and when it's not. However, we're not talking the greenhouse hotbox that a car turns into, or even the cab with a cracked window. A large insulated space with a running fan and cross ventilation works. We're not spending any time in Phoenix in summer but we do plan desert trips spring and fall. In full summer we tend to go to higher elevations in the Western states (CO, UT, WY, etc.). We were thinking of getting an Alu-cab, OVRLND, AT Overland style and adding something like 1" polyiso for insulation, a roof fan that will push or pull, and having the window facing the cab open to allow air to draw in.

So with that long caveat out of the way, has anyone done this? Does the interior stay a safe temp or does it get too hot?

There is a thread here detailing how various people provide ventilation for their pets. Some are very ingenious with fand built into window frame to create cross ventilation.

Darwin

Explorer
I would do two max air fans. One at the front and one at the back so you can push air in with one and pull air out with the other. With some good insulation you should be okay but definitely test it out to make sure.

Motafinga

Adventurer
I also have a dog that stays behind in my Alaskan camper when I go on a MTB or Moto ride and he's fine as long as I take some common sense precautions, If I'm in the boonies with-out any crowds around I'll leave the entry to the camper open with my awning deployed if it's sunny and he goes in and out as he wants and never wanders off. If I close him in, I draw my black out shades and turn on both fans as well as a battery powered clip fan drawing in air from the behind the cab window which is usually really cool air coming from the shaded area under the cab over. The fan recharges off a usb so you can plug it in to a charge port to run indefinitely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle