Fender trimming on a D2

Wideheavyload

This week I had an OME Medium Duty suspension lift installed on my 2004 Discovery II. After that was done, I had a set of BFG 275/65/18s installed. Now I'm getting some rubbing when I'm at full lock on the front end.

This was not exactly a surprise. Instead of taking it back to The Shop to get the fender trimmed, I'd rather just do it myself. I did a little research, but all the forum posts on fender trimming sort of take it for granted that the reader actually knows how to do that :) I'm a network engineer, and not very familiar with doing anything to my truck other than electrical work. What better time than now to start though?

My question to the forum: What tools and processes do you need to trim the front fenders/bumper to clear a larger tire do you actually need? Luke at the shop mentioned getting a Dremel tool, cutting it away, and then sanding it down. Is that all there is to it?

If anyone has a link to a good how-to article with pics, that would be even better.

Thanks again! This forum is a great resource.

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
When I put on my new tires, if I do in fact scrape; I will find out where I'm scraping so I can trim the specific area. Are you trimming the whole fender?

Wideheavyload

I intend to just trim enough so that it won't rub. Looks like that may just be the plastic bumper piece and not the metal parts of the fender.

Howski

I assume this is the lower part of your front valence. The plastic is very soft and can be trimmed very easily with a Dremel tool or hack saw. If you post a picture of where the rub is that'd be helpful. From past experience I imagine it is the lower black plastic portion of the valence. You should not need to trim the fenders at all, just minor on the front bumper

Keanan

Observer
A Dremel tool might not offer the cleanest cut. I find that a hand saw works better. A decent finishing saw or saw for PVC pipe will work OK.

Last edited:

Howski

You'll be fine with a Dremel, this stuff is super soft. Just hit it with some sand paper to clean up the edge

Wideheavyload

I do have a sawzall which might work fine, but this is a good excuse to get a Dremel :) I can use that for some other projects I have lined up as well.

Wideheavyload

I took a closer look at the wheels when they were rubbing, and it appears that the rubbing is taking place on the inside of the fender by the inside portion of the wheel. It appears that the larger tires exceed the range of the stock bump stops possibly?

I suppose I could adjust the stops to prevent the full range of the wheel turning, or add some spacers to push the wheel out an inch or so. Has anyone ever used spacers for this purpose before?

Howski

Adjusting the steering stops (which I assume you're referring to as bump stops) could put a hamper on your turning radius depending on how much you have to adjust them. I suspect you're only encountering this at near full lock so it shouldn't affect it much. Unless they rub during normal driving spacers aren't necessary

ZG

Busy Fly Fishing
Adjusting the steering stops (which I assume you're referring to as bump stops) could put a hamper on your turning radius depending on how much you have to adjust them. I suspect you're only encountering this at near full lock so it shouldn't affect it much. Unless they rub during normal driving spacers aren't necessary

Some people call the axle stops bump stops, but it is the steering stops that need adjusting.

Wideheavyload

My mistake with the terminology. And you are right, it only rubs at full lock, such as backing out of a tight parking spot or garage. During normal driving, no rubbing at all.

Howski

My mistake with the terminology. And you are right, it only rubs at full lock, such as backing out of a tight parking spot or garage. During normal driving, no rubbing at all.

Adjusting the steering stops should fix that. I never adjusted mine, just kind of learned at what lock the tire would start rubbing.

Wideheavyload

I think that's what I'm going to do. I can foresee circumstances where I want to turn sharply, regardless of the rubbing.

My quandry now is, since the fenders or valence aren't actually rubbing, do I bother trimming it now?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven