Feral Green - California to Tierra del Fuego

feralgreen

Apologies, I was AWOL for a few days out of connection. Thanks for the input and links! We've been reading up on the SVO/WVO, other travel sites and looking for a truck to acquire.

Two of us speak Spanish close to fluently, although learning the lingo for explaining the veggie fuel system will be an initial challenge.

With regard to navigation it looks as though hard maps are the way to go over an electronic system.

Nick/Lone Wolf - It'd be great to hook up with you guys for the initial leg and see how far we can caravana down. I didn't see an itinerary for the California/Mex/Central America leg, but did enjoy your website. Do you have any rough dates, other than August 14th, for arriving at any of the other countries?

Quixote - We'll keep in touch, at some point we're bound to cross paths.

If anyone has input on going with a pop-up/folding trailer versus our originally planned truck camper I'd love to hear your thoughts. We've been researching both and are debating which route to take.

Thanks!

Lone Wolf

Observer
feralgreen said:
Nick/Lone Wolf - It'd be great to hook up with you guys for the initial leg and see how far we can caravana down. I didn't see an itinerary for the California/Mex/Central America leg, but did enjoy your website. Do you have any rough dates, other than August 14th, for arriving at any of the other countries?

Unfortunately, no complete itinerary/ time schedule, but we have booked flights back to the UK from Panama City on 12th September, though we are prepared to be a bit slower and not make this date, and Myself and Amy fly on to Panama.

Thanks,

Nick

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
feralgreen said:
Apologies, I was AWOL for a few days out of connection. Thanks for the input and links! We've been reading up on the SVO/WVO, other travel sites and looking for a truck to acquire.

Two of us speak Spanish close to fluently, although learning the lingo for explaining the veggie fuel system will be an initial challenge.

With regard to navigation it looks as though hard maps are the way to go over an electronic system.

Quixote - We'll keep in touch, at some point we're bound to cross paths.

If anyone has input on going with a pop-up/folding trailer versus our originally planned truck camper I'd love to hear your thoughts. We've been researching both and are debating which route to take.

Thanks!

All,
Granted these guys are cutting it quite short, but its amazing what they have done in this amount of time. From talking with Feralgreen they have it pretty much dialed now compared to even just a couple of weeks ago. Granted it makes it a lot easier to get it all done when you quite your job and dedicate 24/7 to gearing up and talking to sponsors. These guys are in no rush and plan to take as much time as needed for repairs, surfing, and getting to know the locals and fulfilling the rest of the goals they have for this trip. Hell, I wonder if they will ever come back!
So as any internet dork on a forum would say. "Where the @#$& are the pictures of the truck!?"
:gunt:

Quixote

Observer
SOAZ said:
So as any internet dork on a forum would say. "Where the @#$& are the pictures of the truck!?"
:gunt:

x2

Our build-up is still coming along. I just had to send back the Toughbook-19 I got from Amazon.com, it was making a capacitor-type humming noise. Don't want that going out on me...

The RAM mount, OTOH, just shipped, so I gots a mount but no laptop. Sigh!

Sounds like you are doing better...

Quixote

Observer
SOAZ said:
Quixote,
How long are you guys going for?
We are starting from San Francisco October 15th 2007, ending in Buenos Aires January 2009.

You can look at the route plan on our site. Click on the waypoints to see our scheduled arrival date.

We are planning to be away for 15+ months, but on a trip like this who knows? Plans change, people change, its all good stuff!

SOAZ

Nice! I plan to fly in and visit the green guys. We are all jealous and looking forward to living vicariously through both of your trips!

Super Doody

Explorer
Quixote said:
We don't surf :(

But we ski! Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows, and Kirkwood.

From your press release:

"It's the ultimate surf trip for Newport Beach residents Eric Paine and Sean Robbins and their two buddies, but they're more than a band of beach bums looking for an extended spring break. They're four college grads setting out with a long bed, crew cab truck that runs on veggie oil."

If you dont surf you should start. I'd love to go on something like this.

SOAZ

Super Doody said:
From your press release:

"It's the ultimate surf trip for Newport Beach residents Eric Paine and Sean Robbins and their two buddies, but they're more than a band of beach bums looking for an extended spring break. They're four college grads setting out with a long bed, crew cab truck that runs on veggie oil."

If you dont surf you should start. I'd love to go on something like this.
Quixote is a different guy. The Feral Green guys are all really into surfing. Crazy bastards go down to baja and tow into the big waves even! craziness!

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
THEY'RE OFF!
The Feral Green Gang hit the road today after stopping off at AT for some final training on the finer points of axle, hub, brake and pivot rod maintenance for the Chaser trailer they will be towing throughout their surfing safari. Their planned first stop will be in/near San Quintin, about 6 hours south of the US/Mexico border. They plan to lay low until the holiday traffic blows over before continuing their journey.

I know that when they first posted here on ExPo per our recommendation, they received many words of caution about lack of preparation. I must say that we too were concerned when they first approached us for sponsorship. What they may have lacked in actual Overland experience, they more than made up for in unbridled enthusiasm, incredible teamwork and a "Dog on a bone" focus towards achieving their goals.

They have spent hundreds of hours in prep, sought professional advice, done their shakedown runs, sorted out the bugs in their equipment and are now headed for the border. We are very proud of how hard they have worked and are totally stoked for them. What a grand adventure!

Along the way, they will be checking in with us, transmitting pictures and stories that I will post here. They will also be checking in when they can and updating their site at www.fergalgreen.com Be sure to check in and follow this Dan Brown inspired trip of 4 friends, a bio-diesel Ford, a Chaser trailer and 16 surfboards.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Shoot!, i need to figure out how to get sponsored... just point and tell me where to drive, i'll go!

I wish them luck!

Whats the deal with the water bottles being strapped to the top? seems odd

Last edited:

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
SOCALFJ said:
Whats the deal with the water bottles being strapped to the top? seems odd

Just some empties so they can stock up for their base camps. It does impart quite the Gypsy look doesn't it?

SOAZ

So Jealous!!!! I'm trying to figure out where I might fly in and tag along for a week on their journey. Until then I must live vicariously through them on their website! :arabia:

elcoyote said:
THEY'RE OFF!
The Feral Green Gang hit the road today after stopping off at AT for some final training on the finer points of axle, hub, brake and pivot rod maintenance for the Chaser trailer they will be towing throughout their surfing safari. Their planned first stop will be in/near San Quintin, about 6 hours south of the US/Mexico border. They plan to lay low until the holiday traffic blows over before continuing their journey.

I know that when they first posted here on ExPo per our recommendation, they received many words of caution about lack of preparation. I must say that we too were concerned when they first approached us for sponsorship. What they may have lacked in actual Overland experience, they more than made up for in unbridled enthusiasm, incredible teamwork and a "Dog on a bone" focus towards achieving their goals.

They have spent hundreds of hours in prep, sought professional advice, done their shakedown runs, sorted out the bugs in their equipment and are now headed for the border. We are very proud of how hard they have worked and are totally stoked for them. What a grand adventure!

Along the way, they will be checking in with us, transmitting pictures and stories that I will post here. They will also be checking in when they can and updating their site at www.fergalgreen.com Be sure to check in and follow this Dan Brown inspired trip of 4 friends, a bio-diesel Ford, a Chaser trailer and 16 surfboards.

Scott Brady

Founder
I spent an hour talking with these guys tonight. I am impressed. They are going to do great and have a wonderful adventure. I wish them all of the safety and success.

Looking forward to watching your progress!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater