Fiberglass JK Front Bumper

troy

Adventurer
They are best known for their cut-out flares and horrible customer service. I know there are many that want the XJ flares, but are skittish about plunking down the money due to all the internet horror stories.

I'm guessing it is mainly growing pains of success a little too fast.

Azlugz

Adventurer
They have a ZJ front bumper that is getting more popular too, seems to hold up well.

The corvette comparison is a bit trivial. Canned veggies cans are made of metal like Jeeps but you would not expect a Jeep to fold like one of the cans, like wise, even tho a vette is made of the same material, they are made completely different and the material is a lot thinner.

Here is a pic of a WJ with the fibreglass flares and bumper

IMG00239-20100605-1755.jpg

wjeeper

Ever see what happens to a Corvette when the body takes a hit?

Really an apples to oranges comparason......kinda like saying a tire will pop just like a balloon when you poke it with a pin just because both are rubber.

Here is a vid of them driving their XJ over a flare:
http://icelandoffroad.com/Berserk/tabid/1931/language/en-US/Default.aspx

Having seen their ZJ in person i can tell their sheet metal hasn't been able to hold up to the abuse as well as the fiberglass. The sheet metal had some good scrapes in it and the flares just looked scuffed when I saw it.

Cant comment on their customer service, although they are local............

406to417

Explorer
Ive been researching them because im interested in their ZJ flares.I havent heard anything good on the forums about their customer service.Basicly you pay and never get anything.The new JP Magazine has a write up on installing the flares on an XJ.I guess the bolts that hold the flare to the body are just held to the flare by bondo...pretty hack for such a high priced item.

Amauri

Explorer
I've seen a set of their ZJ flares take some nasty hits and they held up fine. When I move up to 35's I'll probably get theirs over the bushwackers.

FreeManDan

Adventurer
A little over a year ago I read in what might have been JP magazine that there was a carbon fiber bumper for a JK from Iceland (which has quite a carbon fiber market) that could actually take a hit, but not recommended for repeated abuse (paraphrasing to the best of my memory). HOWEVER, I cant find the article online any where, but that wont stop me from theorizing IF it can take a good hit then why not? It's 35 bucks less than HALF the price of the genright aluminum alloy bumper, and 165 bucks less than the genright steel bumper...to be fair both metals from genright have a stinger and grill hoop that connect for strength.
Aberle Off Road makes a $700 65 lb cast aluminum bumper that claims to be strong, as it has no weak welding spots holding it together. At any rate, there is a healthy amount of choices you can make, that sure seems like a good thing, but it kinda makes it harder to decide.

http://www.myjeepforum.net/modified-tech-f2/jk-front-bumper-comparison-t152.htm
Note how few bumpers have weight listed, ow well, I still like the idea of aluminum.

Nice Post Amauri

I wonder if the Iceland bumper could use some more substatial frame mounting/bracing to prevent it from causing the fender damage?

AZUnlimited

Adventurer
Does anyone know if they have a metal sub-frame that the fiberglass if molded over? I would be surprised if the fiberglass could support the force of the winch mount.

A little over a year ago I read in what might have been JP magazine that there was a carbon fiber bumper for a JK from Iceland (which has quite a carbon fiber market) that could actually take a hit, but not recommended for repeated abuse (paraphrasing to the best of my memory). HOWEVER, I cant find the article online any where, but that wont stop me from theorizing IF it can take a good hit then why not? It's 35 bucks less than HALF the price of the genright aluminum alloy bumper, and 165 bucks less than the genright steel bumper...to be fair both metals from genright have a stinger and grill hoop that connect for strength.
Aberle Off Road makes a $700 65 lb cast aluminum bumper that claims to be strong, as it has no weak welding spots holding it together. At any rate, there is a healthy amount of choices you can make, that sure seems like a good thing, but it kinda makes it harder to decide.

http://www.myjeepforum.net/modified-tech-f2/jk-front-bumper-comparison-t152.htm
Note how few bumpers have weight listed, ow well, I still like the idea of aluminum.

I like the fact that more aluminum bumpers are making there way into the jeep market. However, all that I have seen are shorties... Only if Aluminess would make a jeep jk full width bumper....

I've been eyeing these bumpers for a while. I think its a great idea and perfect for what myself and alot of people around here need. I want a bumper that gives me a little more protection than the stock plastic crap, a few attachment points, and the possibility of a winch without weighing a ton. Alot of people dont slam their junk around into rocks but would like a little extra insurance incase something unforseen does happen. I wish they would step out and make something for toyotas, I would buy one today.

martin809

If you go to the site it has an install page. I have the bumper on my ZJ with a warn winch. I love the bumper and the weight savings was the reason I went with this bumper. The winch sits on a metal plate that attatches to the jeep. The fiberglass bumper then attatches to the winch mount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach