Fiberglass M416/M100 Military-style Trailer Tub Kit

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I would be willing to test the tub out on my 116A2 frame.

If the M116A2 frame is about 48" wide between the fenders, then the wide version of the fiberglass tub might work out well... ;)

M116A2Frame_zpsca3fa53f.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Ha, Ha! Looks great Jeff!

I have been looking at the frame in the yard all winter, trying to figuring out what I want to do.
This might be what I need!

Have you figured out a price point yet?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Ha, Ha! Looks great Jeff!

I have been looking at the frame in the yard all winter, trying to figuring out what I want to do.
This might be what I need!

Have you figured out a price point yet?

I can't tell you the selling price because I'm not the one who will be selling them - I just design and build these things as a hobby, and sometimes a company will decide to bring my ideas to market. If they are to be sold, whatever company decides to sell the kit would have to decide on the price. In the design process I've done everything I can to ensure the fiberglass parts can be manufactured as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible, but in the end, it's the company that will decide the selling price.

I can point you to the pricing for my last project, the Jeep-tub trailer kit. It's being marketed by Compact Camping under the name "Dinoot", here's their pricing page: http://www.dinoot.com/index.php/pricing. The Jeep-tub kit consists of 6 fiberglass parts, and the military kit only has 4 fiberglass parts, so consider that as you view the Jeep-tub kit pricing ;).

Also whatever company brings the kit to market will have to decide what sizes to sell... it's easy to believe there would be enough market interest in the 6' long standard-width version, because that's basically a DIY-version of the very popular M416/M100, and it's also easy to believe there would be enough interest in the 4' version, because Harbor Freight sells a lot of the 4' trailers and there's no easy/affordable solution on the market for a tub for those. But would there be enough interest in the market to make it worthwhile to offer the wider/longer versions for sale?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I popped the molds off the masters, and as long as both the molds and the masters and were sitting there together in the garage, I couldn't resist mocking them up into a tub. The final panels out of the these molds will differ in trimming and how they go together at the corners, but these photos give a good feel for where the project is headed :). Here's a few photos of the mockup:

MoldTubMockup7_zps8c3c91b7.jpg

More photos of the molds and stuff in the main build thread in the Trailer Adventuring Forum: http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-119.html

rockwood

Adventurer
I like two things in this thread.
Wider wheelarches: I run adapters to 4.5inch rims and these push the 245 tires beyond the standard width.
Longer length: often thought about even adding six inches to the length to accommodate 6ft tables easily as well as extending the width so the wheels become inboard.
Subbed.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I like two things in this thread.
Wider wheelarches: I run adapters to 4.5inch rims and these push the 245 tires beyond the standard width.

I'll definitely be building the prototype trailer with wider M416-style fenders because I'll be putting "Jeep sized" tires and wheels on it and I don't want the tires to stick out from the fenders.

Longer length: often thought about even adding six inches to the length to accommodate 6ft tables easily as well as extending the width so the wheels become inboard.
Subbed.

Unlike the original military trailers, this one having a tailgate will also help when carrying large things.

CarryingPlywood_zpscdda16f4.jpg

Or, since it's modular, you could build it with tailgates on both ends like I did on one of my Jeep-tub trailers, and they carry really long things :).

Ladder.jpg

TubConfigs1_zps37f04eef.jpg

max.powerzz

Observer
Awesome project, I've seen quotes for $1k just to replace a rusty floor on an m416. The dinoot is less than that for the whole trailer kit, very tempting.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Awesome project, I've seen quotes for $1k just to replace a rusty floor on an m416. The dinoot is less than that for the whole trailer kit, very tempting.
Thanks!

I've designed this military tub kit so that it could be manufactured less expensively than the Dinoot kit, and hopefully sell for less, but any possible future selling price isn't up to me because I just design and build these things as a hobby, I don't sell anything, I'm not in business, I just do this for fun :).

Project update: I'm finishing up the work on the molds for the tub kit today, so after I finish up today's work everything will be ready to mold the first set of actual tub parts.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The good news: The molds and forms are now complete and ready to have tub kit parts made in them.

Here's a shot of the molds yesterday just after I did a final trim and washed the mold release off them.

MoldsWashed_zps59ac81f8.jpg

Both the solid end and the tailgate end panels are made in the same mold, different forms are inserted for each type of panel. Here's that mold set up to make the solid end panel (left) and set up to make the tailgate end panel (right):

EndPanelMolds_zps292a76b9.jpg

Now the bad news... early November I had a bicycle accident which left me with, among other injuries, a broken clavicle. I've had a plate and screws in my shoulder for the past 3 months holding the bone together while it healed. It's been a struggle, but I have managed to build these molds even with my reduced shoulder/arm capacity. The orthopedic surgeon has decided that the bone has healed enough to remove the plate, so tomorrow afternoon I'm having that surgery. He says he wants me in a sling for a while after the surgery, which means that molding the tub parts has to be delayed until he clears me to take the sling off. Hopefully it won't be too long.

That doesn't mean there won't be any updates in this thread until then, I'll still be able to work "digitally", so I can do design and concept drawings, and I can do actual work to the degree it can be done in a sling - I just can't do something as large as molding the tub panels.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Let your body heal..............We will be here when you are well.
Drink milk! but straight from the cow, before they add the bad stuff.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This morning I've been doing some digital doodling before I go off to the hospital - here's a tent on top of my M72 fiberglass tub model...

RTT1_zps9d57e706.jpg

I do plan to build a tent platform for the M72 prototype to prove that the fiberglass tub can support a tent.

Here's a photo of my "test tent" in its natural habitat - the family room :):

RTTFr2.jpg

I call it my "test tent" because I got this tent mostly for testing things I'm building, like the Dinoot Jeep-tub trailer:

RTTOpenSide3.jpg

and the Safari Cab hardtop:

SafariRTTLong1.jpg

I've never actually camped in it, my idea of camping is called a "hotel reservation"... but I did promise Scott at Compact Camping (www.dinoot.com) I would camp in this one some day. Really Scott, I promise I will! Maybe this summer.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Browsing the Harbor Freight sales this morning... their "ATV Cargo Carrier" is on sale for $39.99 (item #69858), and with a 20% off coupon that makes it $31.99. Yesterday I got the latest HF sale flyer in the mail, and this rack is in the flyer on sale at $42.99, but it's on their website on sale for $39.99. Tip: always check the web site before going to HF to buy a sale item, and if it's cheaper online, print the web page and bring it to the store - they'll honor the web price, and they'll also be happy to apply one of the 20% coupons to the price too. (BTW, same thing for the 1720-lb. 4x8 trailer: $354.99 on sale right now in the flyer, $349.99 on sale now online).

These racks turn out to be exactly the right width for a military trailer tongue cargo rack if you assemble them without the center receiver tube...

HFCargoBasket_zps1dfae044.jpg

The rack could also be used on an original M416/M100, although I think it might interfere with the hand brake lever, so it might have to be mounted a little further forward to clear that.

TheThom

Adventurer
Let your body heal..............We will be here when you are well.
Drink milk! but straight from the cow, before they add the bad stuff.

Sorry to side track, but this made me groan. I think Mark's kidding, but please don't drink unpasteurized milk. Huge increases risk if E. coli, salmonella, brucellosis, etc.

You're trailer looks great and I hope your surgery goes flawlessly. OK I'm off my medical soapbox.

Mark, if you have follow-ups maybe PM me so we don't tie up this great trailer thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal