Fiberglass M416/M100 Military-style Trailer Tub Kit

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I got a little honest work out of the trailer today, needed to stop at Lowes for some fertilizer and the bed of the truck was pretty much full already, so I dragged the trailer along.

TrailerWorking1_zpssqrbwvxq.jpg

The tailgate can be opened by unzipping the back panel part way and reaching in, so it was pretty easy to load up the fertilizer.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I left the trailer outside last night because I thought it might rain, but no luck. Oh well, one more photo and then I'll stop. Here's a top view.

TopView_zpsxvpigqqv.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Jscherb, how much does it cost just like you have it? I didn't read this entrie long thread lol. Where can I buy one?

Can't really say how much it might cost just like mine, because some of the features on mine you can't buy (like the canvas top I just finished making). The company that sells them sells the basic fiberglass tub as a kit, which you can either put on a Harbor Freight frame as I did, or they do custom welded frames, then you need to add all the other details and features, so the cost depends a lot on how you'd want to build it and what's available commercially vs. what you might have to build yourself.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I swapped the covered wagon top off the trailer today because I needed the fiberglass cover back on for something. Because both tops are held in place with the same lift-off hinges, it doesn't take long to do the swap. I folded up the top after this photo, but I took it off in one piece so I could wash the trailer, the fiberglass top and the covered wagon top all at the same time.

CoveredWagonOff_zps3yuaxk8z.jpg

And the other reason I took it off in one piece... I always wondered what the my Jeep pickup would look like with a covered wagon top, so I set it in place in the bed of the truck. It's not exactly the right size, but it gives an idea of what the truck might look like with a cargo cover...

CoveredWagonRetro3_zpsvuvt6cku.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Today I was out on a bicycle ride and passed a used car shop that had a 3-unit Craftsman tool cabinet outside with a For Sale sign on it. I stopped in and checked it out, it was in well-used condition, a few minor bends, but still completely functional condition. I offered them $100 for it, which they accepted, so I pedaled home to get a vehicle to transport it. I didn't have the truck with me today, so the military trailer got the job. The lid just closed with the cabinets inside. Good to have the trailer handy!

ToolBox_zpsngcg1ujm.jpg

ToolBox2_zps8yyhcuhu.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I've been working on a cargo slide design to fit in Jeep Wranglers, but I'm also making sure it could be used in trailers. Here's a quick test fit of the slide in a military trailer.

TrailerTestFit1_zpslb3ibc8s.jpg

With the tray drawn in:

TrailerTestFit1a_zpsuj5xveoy.jpg

The length of the tray as shown is for the JK Wrangler, but there's no reason it couldn't be longer - much longer slides than these are available.

The tray width is the same as the JK Wrangler, and since this tailgate opening is the same as a CJ/YJ/TJ, this width would work in those Jeeps too.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner