Fielding opinions, 15 AEV JKUR

LL247

Observer
Alright guys, I'll try to keep this short. Currently have a 08 JKU with 104k on the clock, fresh front end rebuild, 4'' suspension lift, new wheels & 35's, and a variety of other bits. I'm at the point of wanting to either go all-in and re-gear, roof rack, ect...or replace with a newer/different vehicle. Originally I was thinking of going to a RR LR3 for more comfort, but the wife said "We're Jeep people, no rovers in our driveway." The wife is now in love with the AEV built JK's since a local dealer just became AEV authorized. My question is this, does it make more sense to pour more funds into my 08 JKU or just take the plunge to an AEV JKUR? Furthermore, is having the JK outfitted by AEV worth the money?

Looking for some opinions. The AEV JKUR is a big $ move for me, but I'm not sure it's worth throwing more money at my tired JK.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Financially, its a crapshoot. There's literally no way to make sense of it.

Probably the only data point that might make a difference is how long it will be until the next purchase (after this one). If you think you'll be into something else again in 3 years or less, I would keep your 08 and spend more money on it. If you think it will be 3+ years until you get something new again, then the bath you'll take on the AEV JK will be spread out a little more.

Lecoq

Explorer
I'd say it depends on what you do with your Jeep. If you're thinking of going offroading quite a bit I would keep the old one, that way it won't hurt your feelings as much if it gets damaged. Otherwise the AEV Jeeps are pretty sweet but you'll want to make sure you keep it for a while.

LL247

Observer
I've always had a Jeep so I think I'd be inclined to keep it for a while. Plans are more for an overland/exploration rig rather than a rock-crawler or mud-machine. My main worry is dumping thousands more into the '08 that already has 104k on it. The pros and cons either way are fairly even, which is why I'm asking for other viewpoints.

It would be a whole lot simpler if I'd give up my truck, but I use my truck. Granted, the fact that it's a 2500 diesel is waaaaay overkill since I tow nothing more than motorcycles and haul yard-related items only. It's been swimming around in my head...maybe get rid of both, go with the AEV and buy a trailer? That makes the most sense since my truck is a 2014 Ram Laramie with a heavy price tag.

Argh. What makes it worse is that the salesman from the dealership text me they have a 'tank' colored one being built right now and it's 3 weeks out. That was in my top 3 color choices! My wife is being cryptic about the entire situation (which leads me to believe she's up to something). She won't comment on what she'd prefer to do...but doesn't want me spending any more money on the current JK right now, which is odd (she has a JKU as well so Jeep purchases are encouraged usually).

daveh

Adventurer
Sounds like your wife is leaning towards the AEV. Happy wife - happy life. Post some pics when you pickup that new AEV build.

LL247

Observer
Sounds like your wife is leaning towards the AEV. Happy wife - happy life. Post some pics when you pickup that new AEV build.

What's funny is that people don't believe me when I tell them my wife pushes me to buy cool stuff all the time. She pushes me to lift my truck, buy motorcycles, ect hahaha

HAFICON

Adventurer
The AEV rig with updated engine, transmission and interior would be nice. But you can easily make the 2008 into something great just if the engine were to go how would you feel bout that?

Idahoan

Adventurer
I have a 13 JKUR with AEV 2.5 lift and wheels. I'm really happy with how it handles and rides. The new 3.6 Pentastar is an awesome motor... Runs circles around the old 3.8 and doesn't burn oil!

MOSDIF589

Axel Adventures
It all depends on what your doing with it but I can say to go with a NEW Jeep, not necessarily an AEV. I bought my 2010 Jeep JKU and after 2.5yrs 58k miles I sold it for the same price I bought it for. Sure I put $$ into it and I didn't recoup that but still I sold it for the exact $ amount that I orig paid tax included....!!!

So sell your old Jeep and buy a new Jeep then install all the parts you want but just be mindfull not to buy just a name.. There are a lot of good venders out their so just pick the one that best fits your needs and gives most bang for the bucks....!!

I'm so glad I upgraded....

image.jpg

HRPINDC

Adventurer
Personally, I would go with the AEV. 104k miles is a lot if you're planning on doing some overland style travels. I would prefer to have a reliable lower mileage vehicle that I can drive to the local dealer wherever I am for repairs. I don't think you'll get your money back on your 2008, but the AEVs seem to hold their value fairly well. Plus there is something to be said for new. PS, shame on you for even thinking RR!

LL247

Observer
Well, wife says AEV if i get rid of my truck and JK together. I think I'm at least going to crunch trade numbers and see where it falls, make a decision from there. The upside of that is my monthly payments will definitely drop.

Longtallsally

Adventurer
I wouldn't get the AEV. Yes they are nice. But IMO, you are paying for bling. Sure there is a bit of function in there, but not enough to add 20K or whatever it is to the cost of the vehicle.

Personally, I think you're nuts if you sell the truck- you'll be pissed the first time you actually need it, and if the cost isn't hurting you, then who cares. But then again if you can afford that and an AEV Jeep, who cares, do what makes you happy.

lysol

Explorer
You are worried about the miles on your Jeep now. What are the costs to upgrade/swap the engine out be it a v6 or v8?

nnnnnate

Adventurer
1- Traded in an excellent running 07 PSD for my JK last Thanksgiving. I was in the same boat about not "needing" the power and capacity of my F350. Changed jobs and lost my take home car so I started to commute in the crew cab long bed. I went with the JK to play on the weekends and commute in. I miss my truck sooooooo much. Thats not to say I don't love my JK but any time I need to tow or pick up something longer than 7.5' I've got to hook up the trailer. I hate that I have to choose between the two but it was the situation I was in. Maybe borrow a trailer and tow your motorcycle and other stuff to see if the capacity is high enough or if you have enough juice in the JK to be satisfied with the towing. Have you guys ever considered looking at a camp trailer? You are pretty damn limited on what you can get if you plan to tow it with any JK.

2- Whats the cost of the AEV build that you're considering? I don't think 104k miles is much at all. If its in good condition its in good condition. You can be mechanically sound and have over 50k miles. If it were me I'd look closer into doing an LS swap rather than buy a new rig.

TL:DR- Keep the truck and do an engine swap.

LL247

Observer
Well, big surprise...wife flip-flopped today, she's now wanting to keep the vehicles we have (which I'm fine either way). Even proposed getting a new Rubi and putting the AEV lift on it. I agree with some of the above opinions, some of the price is the AEV badging. Looking at some of the option charges for items I've done on my own Jeep I couldn't justify spending to have them do it. I just like how it's all done, warrantied, nothing to worry about on the AEV package. Not building it out with all the extras either, I was looking at just getting the basic 3.5 lift package which ends up being about a 15k charge for everything. I know it's a few grand more than if I pieced it together, but that's the 'easy tax' in my opinion for not having to deal with it. Personally think it's a good foundation to build off of, although I realize it's not cheap! I am still struggling with getting rid of my truck though, apparently so is the wife. I have as many reasons to get rid of it as I do to keep it...this whole decision is so split down the middle, I have no idea what to do! However if I ditch both vehicles for a stock '15 Rubi, my monthly payments get cut in half...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven