Filing Cabinet

Martus

I was wondering if anybody had tried using filing cabinets drawer"s on a trailer. I have a couple of old filing cabinets I can cut up and weld back together. Is this dumb or what.
I am building a small trailer (48"L X 70"W). I think I can get 6 in horizontally with a RTT on top.

Martus

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I haven't tried it, but I will say that I now feel dumb for not considering it. :D

Paper is HEAVY, I bet as long as you can keep the moisture out of the likely-not-weathersealed tracks it would work great. This idea might just save me a few $$$ on my drawer system build (inside the truck)... thanks!

greentruck

Adventurer
There are file drawers -- and then there are file drawers heavy enough to use for something like this. Forget about those cheapie ones you can get for $29.99. You want to look for some of the old heavy duty, government issue ones if at all possible.

You do not want a fireproof file drawer. Too heavy.

Look for legal size drawers, as they will better accommodate gear.

Rigging a locking mechanism is going to be the trickiest part. The ones used on file drawers are for something that sits and doesn't move, while yours are going to be bouncing around a bunch.

Ultimately, this might work if done right. On the other hand, done wrong, you'll be cursing the day you first thought about it.:drool:

Martus

greentruck The cabinets that I have are 30 or 40 yrs old. I was thinking of capturing the with a folding shelf.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I've been keeping my eyes open for a used tool drawer to use inside our Jeep. Shallow and wide, I think it'd be perfect for small tools in the cargo bay.....

Honu

lost on the mainland
I have a tool chest I am cutting apart for pull outs in the trailer
cheaper than buying that quality of slide

got a scratch and dent special from a store that got costco returns so very cheap :)

the file cabinet thing was also in my brain with the full extension slide outs that handle the weight

for the lock I was just going to do a simple slide in and out bolt style thing I see on a lot of trailers from South Africa

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Any chance one of those tool drawers is about 26" wide and under 4" tall..and available?

Honu

lost on the mainland
Any chance one of those tool drawers is about 26" wide and under 4" tall..and available?

not sure if I will have any extra had plans for them all but you never know plans change ? I think mine are about 28 wide at the far outside

to me the slides in full length pull out that are smooth are still kinda expensive ? then you have to make drawers etc. so getting a tool chest that has drawers already seems logical if they can work with your setup and you could live with a certain size ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__