Finally - a mod thread of my own!

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
bootzilla said:
Road feel is much better - I've heard people say that the ProComps are too stiff - but I don't think that is the case at all - in fact, the fronts could actually be a little bit stiffer - rears are just right.

Scott B. mentioned to me, and I think he is right, that Troopers need really stiff shocks. I have the ES9000's on the Pathfinder and they are way too stiff. On the Trooper I am running Rancho 9000x's on the "9" setting and they could be a bit stiffer.

procomp5.jpg

Where did you get those bushings? I need a set.

bootzilla

Adventurer
Oh, man - do they ever need to be stiffer up front. Things are much impoved over stock, but it is still pretty floaty up there. What else can I do? A set of Calmini or Indy 4x Torsion Bars??

The bushings came with the ProComps. They were a little smaller in diameter than the stock ones, but as you can see, they are thicker and stiffer. I wonder if Matt at Indy 4x could source the bushings themselves, or something similar...actually - I wonder if poly bushings would help stiffen the front up any...

AZ_Husker

Observer
Bootzilla,

You were wondering about the height of OME springs. I just installed complete OME medium system and gained 2" in the rear of my '93 Trooper.:beer:

AZTrooper

Adventurer
I tried last night to replace my old stock coil springs with the new OME 919s I got on Monday. In my thread I state that the damn coil spring compressor kept slipping. i had the type of compressor that use the rmovable fork on the bottom. Both the hooks on the top and the fork on the bottom wanted to ride slip down/up the spring. I couldn't get the compressor to tighten on the spring. So I tried the strut compressors, but, that would require me to remove the shocks to make room for both strut compressors. Proving to be a pain!!

bootzilla

Adventurer
AZTrooper said:
I tried last night to replace my old stock coil springs with the new OME 919s I got on Monday. In my thread I state that the damn coil spring compressor kept slipping. i had the type of compressor that use the rmovable fork on the bottom. Both the hooks on the top and the fork on the bottom wanted to ride slip down/up the spring. I couldn't get the compressor to tighten on the spring. So I tried the strut compressors, but, that would require me to remove the shocks to make room for both strut compressors. Proving to be a pain!!

Man - I got promoted to another office, and it has been forever since I have had the chance to check in.

AZ - maybe someone else can chime in - but isn't it possible to jack up the back end far enough that you can unload the spring to the point where you can just lift it out? That would get the spring compressors out of the equation altogether.

I am having odd problems with the front end with my current setup - seems like the front end could be controlled far more - I am even feeling an intermittent vibration - anybody have any ideas? I am almost wondering if there is something up with the tie rods or T-bars...the ProComp shocks were far firmer than the stock ones which were completely shot, but the front end seems to be just as soft as the stockers.

Rear is perfect, though.

I am still considering whether to go with OME's or not - the problem is the parking garage at work - clearance is 6'3" - I think they underestimate a bit, but i makes me nervous. I already had to take my roof rails off...:(

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I just saw your last several posts, sorry I missed them. I have two new Rancho 9000x shocks on the front courtsey of their lifetime warranty, but considering how much stiffer the new shocks are than my old ones, which probably had at most 30,000 miles, confindence in the shocks has not been inspired.

Todd, height is all about the springs (coils in the rear, torsions in front) and has absolutely nothing to do with shocks. I learned this because I had a blown shock and couldn't tell based on ride height.

What kind of problems are you having? Is it wandering, suggesting worn components (ball joints, tie rods, bushings, loose wheel bearings), or just floaty suggesting the ProComp shocks are just not up to the task? It is hard to imagine that is the case considering how stiff the Pathfinder is, but in reality I don't know if the shocks are too stiff or if the torsions are just way too stiff.

I still have not had the time to put my fron stabilizer bar back on and with the Ranchos set on 9 and D rated tires I would consider the handling to be just barely acceptable meaning that it does not inspire confidence, but if you go flying into a corner way too fast you can scrub off speed and go through smoothly without anything bad happening. I would say the handling is roughly the same as a stock Trooper. When I put the sway bar back on I'll back the shocks off to a 7 for a little more cush.

bootzilla

Adventurer
It is almost like the shocks just don't have enough to handle the car and the larger tires.

It does two things - when I hit the brakes at slow speed - just give 'em a little jab to come to a stop - the front end will bounce a couple of times, instead of just rebounding once.

The other thing - and this is the annoying part - I get a vibration on and off in the front end - on the driver's side. Mostly happens when it is cold. I thought it was an out of balance tire - so I had them rebalanced when I replaced the shocks (it actually started before I replaced the shocks), then I rotated the fronts to the back to try to help - and it still does it, but only when the tires are really cold - and not all the time.

It is really strange - I'm thinking the shocks just can't get it done, or else there is something not strong enough or loose in the suspension.

Doesn't wander any more than it did when I first got it - which is to say that you do have to pay attention on the highway - it likes to follow imperfections or the crown of the road.

Any ideas?

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
It sounds exactly like what mine did before I realized my shocks were bad. I guess first thing would be to see if they are dead (possible that one is bad and the other is working over time). Try taking them back to the place where you bought them, explain the problem and see if you can exchange them for OME's or Ranchos (if you go Rancho get the part number from Matt@Indy4x). If not, find out what applications they have for other vehicles, particularly Jeeps, and post them for sale on the relevant sites, then go buy something else.

As for the vibration, when was the last time you had your bearings repacked? Also check your CV boots. I can't think of anything specifically that would cause it, but those seem like the most likely culprits. You are looking for something that might be sticky when its lubrication is cold, but warms up with movement.

I'm not really a mechanic, nor do I play one on tv, so take all this with bags of salt.

bootzilla

Adventurer
Good idea on the wheel bearings, Bill - 44k miles, and I am pretty certain they have never been repacked - if they aren't to expensive or show signs of wear, I'll just buy new ones.

And I am shocked (no pun intended) that the ProComps don't seem to be stiff enough for the fronts - but that seems to be the case. I think I'll repack the bearings first, then inspect the tie rods and other suspension parts - the biggest goal is to eliminate that vibration - then look around for stiffer front shocks - hoping that will help.

Then I can get my VW project finished, and get back to the fun stuff with the Trooper.

And I was thinking lift from the OME springs, not from the shocks...I opened the sunroof in the parkng garage today as I was leaving, and with a two-inch lift - well, there won't be much extra room when I go down there - the pipes in the garage seem to be pretty good - but when I drive under the clearance signs - I can reach up and touch them with my hand....not confidence-inspiring. And that is on the first and second levels - the third level has a clearance of 6 feet - I duck when I drive down there now - no way with any kind of lift.

I really want the OME springs, though....:mad: I can always either be really careful on the first level with 6'3" of room, or else there are a few spaces just outside the garagefor oversized vehicles...eh - I'll figure it out after I get rid of this vibe when it is cold...

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I understand what you are talking about with regard to the frustration. I have a lot of play in my wheels, probably close to a 1/4" at the top, so I am slowly working through potential problems. If I had the money I would simply take the same route I did on the Pathfinder, which is replace anything that can be replaced.

I'm not planning to repack my bearings as it was done about 20,000 miles ago, but from experience sometimes they need to be re-tightened after they get a couple hundred miles on them, which I doubt the previous owner ever did. Tie rods are next because I want to replace them with the Indpendent 4x units. Ball joints are last. They are showing signs of wear, but still have some miles left in them. Perhaps over the summer.

I think I mentioned this earlier, but I have 18.75" between the fender and the top of the stock Isuzu hubs at all four corners with a moderate load in the rear. Add probably 3/4" for an empty truck. If you compare that to yours, you will get a good idea of the actual height of the OME 919 springs. I have no idea about the 912's.

bootzilla

Adventurer
I have the luxury of having another Trooper in the family to compare against - my Dad has a '98, so I drove down there and compared his shocks to mine (he's got Monroe Sensa-Tracs right now). I thought my front end was bouncy - eesh!

So I guess mine is not as bad as I thought - but it is still way too soft. It sucks, 'cause I had to do a lot of work to get those ProComps to fit on the front.

So I'll wear 'em out a little more (so the effort counted for something), then go for the OME firms - and do the Springs at the same time. Maybe I'll do his, too - that would be a pretty killer Christmas gift to get him!

Oh - and I measured from the top of my rear hubcap to the wheel arch - 17.75" unloaded. So according to your loaded measurements, Bill - I'll get about 1.75" from the 912's - which means I should be fine in the parking garage at work - woohoo!! I just have to leave the roof rails off, and I won't be able to go past the second level, where the clearance goes from 6'3" to 6"0'

Any other shocks that are stiff enough to handle the front end? I'd rather have the OME's then Ranchos, for the money - but are there any other ones to consider?

Last edited:

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I think what that post on 4x4 wire shows is that lenght is at least as important as stiffness. The OME's are too short, but Scott fixed that with a small spacer. I would imagine there are many shocks on the market (Bilstein, etc.) including remote res. shocks that are up to the task, but finding the right length for a lifted Trooper is the hard part. I think ideally you want a shock that is the same compressed length as the stock shock but has an extended length of at least 15.5".

bootzilla

Adventurer
The Catalog lists the extended length of the ProComp's at 15.69 inches - which is 1/2" longer than the OME's which were designed for an inch or two of lift.

I'm not sure what the compressed length of the OME's or stocks are (the ProComp is 10.02 compressed), but I have no lift rigtht now - I wonder if the ProComps are too long, and I am bottoming out on them and wearing out the shocks in a hurry...

The ProComps are only listed from 92-00 in their catalog, which makes no sense, when you think about it, but I did have to do quite a bit of work on them to get them to fit my '02....

bootzilla

Adventurer
Finally got something done this weekend!! About time, huh?

I got an idea last week for a small storage project to hold the tools, the Xantrex battery pack I've got on the way, and a place to hold the flashlight, shovel, other random stuff.

Version 1.0 came out a little rough on one of the doors, but I hid it well, and it seems like it will work out pretty good - storage for the afore mentioned stuff, a flat surface to put stuff on above it, and there is still plenty of room for the dog.

It will also work out well for the mobile recording studio I'll need in a month or so.

Shot a few pics, constructive criticism welcomed...

cargo2.jpg

cargo3.jpg

cargo5.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal