first aid storage

leman

Adventurer
what is everyone using to store their first aid kits in. i have been keeping everything in a tool box but it is starting to take its abuse and its not real organized.

now im looking at one of these two options. both have their advantages and disadvantages.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/Bags,Organizers/Gear_Bags/EMS/PRB
620_Open.jpg

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=PACK-121
PACK-121_B.jpg

yyc_ranger_4x4

I've got one of the standard metal first aid boxes behind the seat of the truck. I just finished putting together a trauma bag for use with standby rescue, and some other jobs I get called out on once in a while. The metal box is nice because it fits behind the seat of the truck nicely...but I like the Ferno style bags for more advanced first aid kits...

FAHAD-5107.jpg

jh504

Explorer
I currently use a jump bag from Iron Duck like this:

bag.jpg

I will probably be getting a backpack style bag before too much longer though. With a backpack if something happens and you have to walk a ways it is much easier to work with than a jump bag.
If you spend much time in the water a pelican case could be a good idea too.

Snagger

Explorer
I use a bright orange Ikea semi rigid briefcase ( the fabric covered ones with raised circles on one side and a zip all the way round) held in Velcro straps to the right hand side of my Land Rover's hard top, behind the side window and well above any cargo, so it's obvious and easy to get to.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
The problem is heat. I have a similar bag to those shown here (old and falling apart) but I keep mine inside an OEM plastic storage box behind my seat to try insulate it a better.
I have an extended cab and luckily it comes standard with two storage boxes behind the seats

ThomD

Explorer
After looking high and low for "just the right size" I bought an LL Bean Toiletry Bag, Family Size. 10"H x 12"W x 8"D. Red, with just enough smaller compartments. It is big enough to hold everything I know how to use.

I stenciled "First Aid" on the top and "Bandages" on one of the end compartments.

llbean.jpg

Small pict, but here is the link LL Bean Toiletry Kit

96r50

Observer
It's taken me a while but I've finally finished putting together a first aid kit for my rig. This is my third FA kit and since it lives in a truck it is rather different than my other two kits (a "wet" kit for paddling/winter sports, and a "dry" kit for most other activities). I have more supplies and a larger variety of them, since space and weight are of little concern when you drive an LC ;)

I used a large First Aid Bag from MEC, as it has a number of pockets and compartments for keeping things organized. It also has straps so it can be carried as a waist pack if need be.
P1010099.JPG

I tried to group the contents based on expected use. I have a face mask and the sprains and strains stuff in the fold out pouch, all the bandaging supplies are in the centre red pouch (which is detachable via velcro), pills are in the labelled 15ml Nalgene bottles, and the tools and commonly used items are in the big clear compartment.
P1010095.JPG

P1010097.JPG

SilverBullet

Explorer
In my tent traier, I have an old tool case shell (drill case, cut out inside) and filled with the basics. I also have a small hard shell case in my garage that was given to me, but that one needs restocked and set up for off road trips.

CJCA

Adventurer
Nothing fancy. Just a 50 cal ammo can. It's air/water tight, near crushproof and has just enough room for all I consider necessary. And they are fairly cheap @ $6.

The downside is it's heavy.

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
The link below is one that is sold at Sam's Club for less than a $20. It is full of great things and very functional.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=196928&_requestid=69727

Those are nice, I have one at home and one at the cabin.

Problem is the case, not tough enough for bouncing around in my Jeeps:snorkel:

I keep a small ammo can with the basics in my Jeeps, and have a soft side 'medic bag' with more stuff, from when I was in the service, I take that with on longer trips.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I use a bright orange hunter's drybox. Easy to find and was on sale for $15. Just put a bunch of emergency supplies in it. This is just for emergencies and not for day-to-day first aid stuff. It stays hidden in the garage when not camping so the wife/kids can't raid it :)

For regular first-aid (cuts/scrapes/etc), I use the large REI backpacker 1st aid kit.

I keep them separate because I'm horrible at resupplying and want to know if there is a real 'emergency' that I'll always have what I expect to be in there, instead of forgetting I used that splint that one time or that ace bandage that other time and forgot to put them back in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven