First Time Expo Trailer Build!!

2strokeTRush

Hey guys, First time poster here, but I have been a member for awhile and appreciate the info provided all over this site! Im pretty active on "Tacomaworld" but over here seems more speed for a expo build. Anyway I picked up a M416 trailer look a like this past weekend on my way home from hunting in Pa, I live in Maryland. The title on it states that it is a "Dunbar" and I know there is a difference between them and the m416, but I am not entirely sure. She's a little rough but I managed to get it for 200$ and since I'm going to repaint it the roughness doesn't bother me.

My plans are to build it into a good weekend camp trailer to tow behind my 1997 Toyota Tacoma. I would like a RTT, Big Tires, RotoPax, Propane and all the fun that companies these trailers! Only difference is I want to build a elevated frame to hold the RTT that is bolt on, bolt off so I could use the trailer without the RTT and have the walk in clearance. I don't have any good pictures of it tonight, but Im taking it to work tomorrow to power wash it and Ill post them. I am in need of some info on axles and hub conversions or replacement, as I want to run 31X10.50 General Tire At2's just like I have on the Tacoma. Better to replace or rebuild. Also has electric brakes that do not work, can this be taken off or what? Figure it could save a little weight as my Tacoma is just a 4cylinder. Need to rewire the lights as well and patch a few spots. I have access to a great welder and will be using him to make the removable RTT frame as well. Any help would be appreciated! Heres some pics of my truck, I love to offroad, but overland camping is more my speed as this is my daily.

photo 3-26.jpg IMG_1053.jpg

photo 1-25.jpg IMG_1054.jpg

Last edited:

BajainMD

Nice find and hello from Western Maryland. The idea of removable mount for roof top tent is a nice thought as I am getting ready to start a similar build idea based on a utility trailer. I want to be able to use mine for a multitude of tasks and will be mounting a removable roof rack system with Yakima load bars to hold the RTT. This way the bars could quickly be removed if I wanted to stand something tall in the trailer! Look forward to seeing your build progress.

2strokeTRush

-Thanks for the replies guys, Thought I would have to wait awhile to get a some interest. So here it is and my Tacoma, going to paint it white to match the truck, so the 64 different colors underneath the paint don't really bother me. I need to remove the tub soon and start sanding, any tips on removing it??

IMG_1062.jpg IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg IMG_1065.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

brian90744

American Trekker
paint/primer/undercoat.

I would drag it around to 2 or3 sand blaster companies and get a price on top to bottom blast. and you can see what you have and what you plan. here in Los Angeles, Calif I paid $300. Great start. here a pic of mine. just FYI

Attachments

• 19683803 1.jpg
    19683803 1.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 48
  • M416 frt.jpg
    M416 frt.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 48

2strokeTRush

Also wondering where the best place to buy new square style fenders, and leaf springs are.?? Anyone know?? Would i need new leaf spring hangars to? Lastly does anyone know what kind of backspacing I would need for aftermarket rims? I want to add Black D style Cragars just like the truck!

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Also wondering where the best place to buy new square style fenders, and leaf springs are.?? Anyone know??

I found that etrailer has much better prices than any of my local trailer shops. They have a good selection of fenders and springs. I just bought a new set of fenders from them for the next stage of my trailer's buildup.

OverlandKyle

Adventurer
Speaking of RTT frames that's elevated... I just bought a used set of these off craigslist for cheap and I always see a few sets up or similar from different companies and they're easy to install and take off... My trailer is an Bantam TC-3

9aea5ad5c3346bf16f4c3e85ea63e8eb_zps5fbd4660.jpg

brian90744

American Trekker
Brakes & springs

Keep the electric brakes and add a brake controller to your truck, it will help you stop better on and off road. Why buy springs??? yours look OK from your pics. After you get it blasted, rattle can the springs. good luck on your build=brian

2strokeTRush

Attempted to start disassembling the tub from the frame but discovered the PO welded it, so that sucks.....Guess Ill have to get it sandblasted and PoR-15 the frame and underside. Ill be getting some nice latches for the tailgate soon, and My plan is to Herculine the inside of the Bed.

IMG_1104.jpg IMG_1105.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg IMG_1107-2.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

brian90744

American Trekker
springs??

I think you have a M100 trailer. yes, you do need springs from your pictures. I don't see any wires from the brake back plate, so you may not have electric brakes. Someone on this forum said you can use Suki springs or jeep CJ3?? Yes the bed on this unit is welded to the frame. Your Lunnete Bracket is mounted upside down and the landing leg is missing. Get her blasted and you can prime it.
good luck=brian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shazpete