FJ55 info needed

roamingaz

Explorer
I stumbled accross a really nice fj55 with a bunch of work already done for sale here in New Mexico while I am stuck here working, I have so far only seen pictures and talked to the owner, I will look it over Sunday but need some help on what to look for in these rigs as I have never owned one.It is a 1979 I think
So far known issues are :
sloppy steering
suspension old and needs bushings
Has original carb with propane injection but no longer installed, has brand new Weber carb needs adjustment
minor rust spots and dent near tail light
has MSD ignition but still has old points ??

ARlZONA

Observer
Good year, the last I believe. Think FJ40 with four doors and you basically have it. Not fast with 4.11 but will get you there.

Steering is easy, just tighten up the adjustor on the stearing box, I have done this on 5 of them and easy to do just dont over tighten and I would put some gear oil in there while you are at it.

Bushings are easy and available but expect the sping bolts to have some wear and might need to be replaced. Probably a good chance to add new longer shackles with good bushings. I have done with with and without shims and had no issue either way.

Mine had rust holes in the gas tank, that was fun to replace. Carb work or changes should not be an issue, there are still many vacum lines to deal with but not near as many as the later FJ60s.

If it gets hot, and they should not check the radiator first, might need to be rodded out, had a 78 FJ40 with this issue.

I do miss mine, parts are near impossible in wrecking yard if you can even find one. Last one I saw was in Tucson, stripped, 8 years ago.

However, I did a nice restore on an FJ40 a few years ago and got everything I needed from Spector offroad and I was still able to sell it for a profit.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
FJ55's are notorious for rust and patch panels are rare and epensive if they exist at all. They don't share any body panels with the FJ40 nor suspension. Drivetrain is for the most part the same with the exception of the drivelines, etc. Steering could be anything from tie rod ends, box adjustments or even more likely the center arm. None are over hard to deal with but can slowly add up to an expensive fix. I'm a much bigger fan of the stock Aisin carbs than I am a Weber, that said a Weber can absolutely be tuned to really run right, ditch the points and go with a points eliminator kit and your in business.

If you don't end up buying it, send some pics my way... I'm still looking for the right piggy to call my own :D

blupaddler

Conspirator
Here's the link to the Ih8mud 55 section:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/fj55-iron-pig-preservation-society/

Like Kurt said, rust. Roofline at the drip rails, front fenders where they meet the doors, rocker panels, driver/passenger floor, and body mounts are some that come to mind. That would be your biggest issue.

The rear window can typically have issues, but they seem fixable. Also headliners typically need replacing, I don't know about the availability for those.

I have heard that the weather stripping is getting to difficult -expensive- to obtain.

My only drawback to a 79 would be smog. But I know AZ is a little more relaxed than CA when it comes to smog.

Good luck. I have been drooling over pigs for some time now. I am hoping to find one in the next year or so.
And post up some pics!
:drool:
:victory:

roamingaz

Explorer
I am headed back to Phoenix tomarrow and hopefully get to check out the fj on my way back, the guy wants to trade for my truck and camper and he is willing to deliver and pickup for free.
The cruiser has a rebuilt engine, new weber and a complete propane injection, decent tires, full roll cage, interior redone with newer seats, new sway bar, wired for a winch and has duel batteries. the owner mentioned he bought it about a year ago from someone that drove it to baja, curious if anyone may know who it belonged to.
Here are some pictures, can anyone tell me what the round metal thing on the drivers fender is?

Attachments

• fj1.jpg
    fj1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 37
  • fj2.jpg
    fj2.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 28
  • fj3.jpg
    fj3.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 32
  • fj4.jpg
    fj4.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 21
  • fj5.jpg
    fj5.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 30
  • fj8.jpg
    fj8.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 42
  • fj6.jpg
    fj6.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 38

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Looks like a decent 55.

Any closeups of the drivers side object? Looks like it might be half of one of those old ball antenna mounts?

Any closeups of that rust in the back, that bottom crack looks awfully like bondo. Take a magnet... if its a bondo beauty covered with a fresh layer of paint you could have a long road of expensive repairs ahead of you. I've seen waaaaay too many 'clean' FJ55's that are in fact recipients of pounds of bondo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk