Flat bed Camper Setup

wapitichaser

I am new here and thought I would share pic of my expedition rig in the making. I just finished building the flatbed. Here is the day after the flatbed was installed and put the camper on for a test fit. It fits perfect. Next is bumper with winch, new tires, 2" lift, toolboxes for the sides, wave 3 heater and solar panels.

I have a ton of pictures of the flatbed build if anyone is interested. The Flat bed was the best mod I made to my truck. It is so versatile and easy to load the camper. It takes maybe 10 mins now rather than the 30 mins it used to take.

Attachments

• PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    393.8 KB · Views: 1,678

wapitichaser

The picture is actually missing the turnbuckles. It attaches to the slider rails of the stake pockets. I am currently trying to design a better spring loaded turnbuckle. I am not impressed with what is available on the market. I should have a prototype built in the next few weeks.

Tree

Adventurer
Keep us updated on this project. Its very intresting! And 1 question. Whats the width of your camper?

haven

Expedition Leader
One factor to be aware of is the stress on a utility body from the longitudinal twisting of the truck frame as you pass over uneven terrain. The rigid utility body can develop cracks, and the compartment doors may not fit the door openings well, after this sort of twisting.

You can minimize the effects of frame twisting by using some sort of flexible mount to connect the truck body to the frame. Some use a pivoting three or four point mount, others use a big spring or rubber bushing to absorb some of the twist.

This is an extreme example, but illustrates how much the frame can be twisted on seemingly benign terrain.

actionmobil1.jpg

The Action Mobil camper above has a mount that pivots at the front of the camper, so the camper remains parallel to the rear axle, and stays free from torsional forces.

You don't need a complicated sub-frame to reduce torsional forces. Here's the spring-mounted U-bolt Joaquin Suave uses to link the camper or flatbed to the frame of the truck. The spring is compressed in this photo.

suavespring.jpg

Chip Haven

wapitichaser

My camper has a 90" width. That is one reason why I bought my Northstar. Lance and some other manufacturers are slightly wider. My flat bed is 85" wide giving me a 2.5" gap on either side. I built a trailer for my ATV and DS bike a few months ago with the exact same dimensions so that if the truck fits the trailer fits when I am going down narrow trails. I can also use the same wheel chocks and tie down straps on the trailer and the flat bed. I can also fit 2 atvs or 4 DS bikes on the flatbed without the camper. I try to make things easy on myself by planning ahead.

Kilroy

Adventurer
Looks really nice. How about a couple of pictures without camper and how flat bed is mounted?

I am new here and thought I would share pic of my expedition rig in the making. I just finished building the flatbed. Here is the day after the flatbed was installed and put the camper on for a test fit. It fits perfect. Next is bumper with winch, new tires, 2" lift, toolboxes for the sides, wave 3 heater and solar panels.

I have a ton of pictures of the flatbed build if anyone is interested. The Flat bed was the best mod I made to my truck. It is so versatile and easy to load the camper. It takes maybe 10 mins now rather than the 30 mins it used to take.

Carlyle

Explorer
Looks great! The side rails look nice and finished, but aren't you losing some storage area in there?

wapitichaser

I actually gained a ton of storage that was wasted with my old bed. I can fill the area between my side boards and my camper. I have a full 8'long x 21"tall x 14" deep area to fill on both sides. I am looking for side tool boxes right now for my guns, fly rods, camping chairs, table, chainsaw, axe, shovel, kid's toys and anything else I can fit in them. Flatbed is the only way to go on a truckcamper. Here is another pic. I have to resize my other pics so I can post them. When I do I will post them up with frame shots.

Attachments

• PICT0012.JPG
    PICT0012.JPG
    387 KB · Views: 585

theMec

Adventurer
A few years back, I saw a unique rig just like this, except on a Ford. It was at the Shelf Road climbing area West of Canon City, CO.
Such uniqueness is almost too coincidental .. and both in Colorado.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
A flatbed is the way I went with my rig and love it. It's so much better then the old camper in the bed. Picked up usuable storage that keeps all my tools and recovery gear along with some camper gear too. My flatbed uses the standard type mounting and no problems so far. No crazy off roading due to the size of the camper but I often surprise other campers when I pass them by on some remote trail. The camper is mounted to the bed using some long steel channel so I could use the standard 8 foot boxes. The steel works as sort of a tension mount allowing the camper to flex just enough to avoid tweaking the camper. So far it's worked out great and no issues other then occasionly rubbing the tops of the tool boxes if I get really twisty. Will be out on the trails again this weekend doing some shooting. Other then the extra height you pick up with the flatbed it's worked out fantastic!

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
I don't know how to post pictures here but if want to see some shots of it go to my web page and take a look around. It's due for a major overhaul so don't expect to much and slick it ain't but you can see the truck there. http://bigjimsadventures.com The various pics page probably has the most in one place. If I ever get the time to figure out how to post here I'll put up a couple shots. If anyone has questions I'm happy to answer them! I'll be out camping and shooting this weekend but will answer first thing next week!

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
Please post some pics of the truck without the camper! I am wanting to build a flatbed for my 2003 Dodge 2500 and yours looks great!! Did you build yourself or buy a pre-manufactured?

Larry:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy