Flemster's 22 Ram 3500 Build - Sherpa Edition

Pundy

To be fair, the trans issue was due to a snap ring that affected only the Aisin and only for a few months of production. It's really sad for sure, but it's also a small blimp. I haven't heard of any specific engine issues with the 22s, although I know there have been issues with the hydraulic lifters because guys ignore the oil weight change either from ignorance or pride.
There are more than 2000 trucks with the issue, so not such a small blip IMO, and mighty inconvenience if your tranny died 3000 miles from home as mine did. I’ve been 6 weeks now without my truck and camper, and thus far RAM could give a ********. Incredibly poor customer service on their part, and stupid in regard to their business model. The good news for Flemster is that if his rig has made it as far as it has with no issues, he’s in the clear.

ZREM

Observer
Great build @Sherpa_Flemster, I've seen your truck around town a few times and it looks awesome. I picked up a '22 Power Wagon earlier this year and may need to swing over and see y'all to talk racks. My 100 Series got loaded on a trailer headed to it's new owner on the East coast today, so time to start the build on the PowWag.

I love your rig! I just got mine in May and have been enjoying the heck out of it. I was wondering if you've had any tranny issues? My Aisin crapped out at 3800 miles and apparently I'm not the only one. Check out the thread below.

BTW, I'm planning to buy one of your roof racks!

Sorry to hear about your trans failure, so far mine is running great. I do wish it was smoother in 4low as that shift from second to first is VIOLANT if you're not ready for it. I've started locking it in second gear which helps. Just rolled over 30k this last weekend.
Great build @Sherpa_Flemster, I've seen your truck around town a few times and it looks awesome. I picked up a '22 Power Wagon earlier this year and may need to swing over and see y'all to talk racks. My 100 Series got loaded on a trailer headed to it's new owner on the East coast today, so time to start the build on the PowWag.
That's awesome! Let us know, we are here 8-6pm M-T! Be stoked to check out the truck and talk mods/racks whatever.

Update:
The dealer will not warranty the driveshaft though there is a TSB out, they claim the angle is too steep with the Carli kit. The part to fix the problem was quoted at $800 (whole new front driveshaft). I'm personally going to run it till I feel it has gotten bad enough to warrant replacement and have a custom driveshaft made locally.

Outside of that still waiting on the new Grid Heater Relay to come in to our local dealer as that recall has been open since February for me. ("No parts available")

The truck has been great otherwise, with lots of trips, and more to come!

53080356973_61c231a007_c.jpg53080268585_bc7d0c7b2b_c.jpg53080356783_c954083f80_c.jpg53080356303_c1ab22405a_c.jpg53080356188_7028baf6c1_c.jpg53118783941_d434bcbc4c_c.jpg53130114577_53de699799_c.jpg53180485069_df1abcda44_c.jpg53180294026_4021aee54e_c.jpg

ramblinChet

Update:
The dealer will not warranty the driveshaft though there is a TSB out, they claim the angle is too steep with the Carli kit. The part to fix the problem was quoted at $800 (whole new front driveshaft). I'm personally going to run it till I feel it has gotten bad enough to warrant replacement and have a custom driveshaft made locally.

There are two huge advantages American Expedition Vehicles has over everyone else and this is just one of the many reasons I selected an AEV Prospector for my most recent build:
  1. all AEV modifications are covered by OEM warranty
  2. all AEV components have Mopar part numbers so any dealer can order
AEV is the only engineered system that addresses steering and driveline issues. Carli, Rough Country, Thuren, etc. do not.

If you have not settled on someone to build your new driveshaft make sure to check out Tom Woods, myself and many close friends have been purchasing custom shafts from him as far back as thirty years ago when he was still working at Six States in Odgen. He is an expert in driveshaft issues with a specific focus on off-road vehicles.

@Sherpa_Flemster, I know this isn't about your buddies rig, but curious if you and your buddy with the mitts tray have done the pro/con on that tray setup. Past the cost, any downside?
I actually really want a tray for my rig but the cost is holding me back. That is Matt from Off Grid 4x4's truck, he is a MITS Alloy dealer and an overall overland truck building extraordinaire.

The cons are definitely there, the bed height increases so running a slide-in camper or similar the overall height is taller, but for me, I'll likely do a tray and canopy with a pass-through to a rooftop tent when I can make the financial leap to do so. It'll be perfect for camping, working, and racing. Easy to change up what I'm packing and using the bed for.

The other downside is bedsides and a tailgate are nice to have, but most trays you can get sides and a tailgate if you wanted if you plan to run it as just a bed.

Pros are all the functionality, water tank, storage boxes under the bed, larger bed space going from 6'4" to 7', side loading with a forklift if you're running an empty bed, and overall strength as well. You don't feel as bad bumping a tray off a tree or rock as a bedside. Plus it can handle impacts much better.

My LBZ Duramax had a simple DIY flatbed that I made and I loved it.

52345447042_b5ccc67d3c_c.jpg51981133252_8d0c16f843_c.jpg51532115317_9d38cf433e_c.jpg

The Baja 1000 trip ended early with a blown transmission.

Our annual trip down the Peninsula was going to be one for the books. The furthest I have made it down is Mulege and this year we were planning to make it all the way to Cabo. A Bucket list trip for sure, then chase the TT's back up the Peninsula on race day shooting media with Baja Designs.

We made a quick bomb down to the Border which was 18 hours from home and crossed straight through Mexicalli and headed down to San Felipe to meet up with the Baja Designs crew. We found tacos and made our way to camp. The next day we hit the trail near Gonzaga Bay through Coco's Corner and down to the Bay of LA.

53330543426_1177559f91_c.jpg53329665547_365f8d3a6a_c.jpg53330765573_1e3709bed8_c.jpg
53330765758_acaa46794a_c.jpg

The next day we ran from the Bay of LA onto a trail to the Mision' San Fransisco de Borja. After touring the mission I fired up the truck and it wouldn't shift into drive and was met with a Christmas tree on the dash. The truck was in 4 low and giving it some revs, it clunked into drive. It shifted into what felt like 1st gear high range. (5th gear) and reverse worked fine.

I assumed this was something electrical-related and started troubleshooting. With the heavy dust from the last couple of days, I figured a plug had debris in it. I pulled the battery cables and went through every main electrical harness on the vehicle unplugging, blowing out/cleaning, and replugging. After sitting for 20 minutes which resets the TCM I plugged it all back in and tried again. Same result.

This is when I started to think it was mechanical and I started remembering some horror stories of 22' rams with the aisin having sudden trans failure due to a manufacturing defect of a snap ring/ snap ring groove that fails leading to loss of all forward gears except 5th.

We got the truck to engage 5th in low and limped it out of the trail where we started working with our Mexican insurance to get it towed north.

53333323589_0e5024eeb7_c.jpg

53333441720_9772066943_c.jpg

Starlink mounted on the Sherpa Diablo rack was a MAJOR factor in getting help down in Baja with no service at our location. I was able to make calls, email/text and have accommodations made for a tow much easier.

53333441810_e0cf32f026_c.jpg

Romo Towing out of San Felipe made the drive all the way to El Rosarito and drug us to the border very slowly with his underrated trailer and a V10 Gasser. It was a workout for the truck and trailer and went through 3 tires in 10 hours. It was a wild ride, to say the least.

53333324229_93af2bd479_c.jpg

Once across the border, we got a tow truck to take the truck to Glendale Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep where we are currently waiting for the official diagnosis and hoping it is all covered under warranty.

The truck has 35k miles and this failure has already cost me close to $4,000 in tow services so hopefully Ram steps up for the manufacturing defect and it's documented TSB's and recall. My local dealer can't even get parts in for the Grid Heater Relay recall that came out almost a year ago now. Glendale has been much more helpful so far and glad to have it at the dealership we bought the truck from.

Thanks for the foreshadowing @UglyViking and @Pundy hahaha

Attachments

• 53330994695_e0230de9f7_c.jpg
    53330994695_e0230de9f7_c.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 30

UglyViking

The Baja 1000 trip ended early with a blown transmission.

Our annual trip down the Peninsula was going to be one for the books. The furthest I have made it down is Mulege and this year we were planning to make it all the way to Cabo. A Bucket list trip for sure, then chase the TT's back up the Peninsula on race day shooting media with Baja Designs.

We made a quick bomb down to the Border which was 18 hours from home and crossed straight through Mexicalli and headed down to San Felipe to meet up with the Baja Designs crew. We found tacos and made our way to camp. The next day we hit the trail near Gonzaga Bay through Coco's Corner and down to the Bay of LA.

View attachment 806320View attachment 806323View attachment 806324
View attachment 806326

The next day we ran from the Bay of LA onto a trail to the Mision' San Fransisco de Borja. After touring the mission I fired up the truck and it wouldn't shift into drive and was met with a Christmas tree on the dash. The truck was in 4 low and giving it some revs, it clunked into drive. It shifted into what felt like 1st gear high range. (5th gear) and reverse worked fine.

I assumed this was something electrical-related and started troubleshooting. With the heavy dust from the last couple of days, I figured a plug had debris in it. I pulled the battery cables and went through every main electrical harness on the vehicle unplugging, blowing out/cleaning, and replugging. After sitting for 20 minutes which resets the TCM I plugged it all back in and tried again. Same result.

This is when I started to think it was mechanical and I started remembering some horror stories of 22' rams with the aisin having sudden trans failure due to a manufacturing defect of a snap ring/ snap ring groove that fails leading to loss of all forward gears except 5th.

We got the truck to engage 5th in low and limped it out of the trail where we started working with our Mexican insurance to get it towed north.

View attachment 806329

View attachment 806330

Starlink mounted on the Sherpa Diablo rack was a MAJOR factor in getting help down in Baja with no service at our location. I was able to make calls, email/text and have accommodations made for a tow much easier.

View attachment 806331

Romo Towing out of San Felipe made the drive all the way to El Rosarito and drug us to the border very slowly with his underrated trailer and a V10 Gasser. It was a workout for the truck and trailer and went through 3 tires in 10 hours. It was a wild ride, to say the least.

View attachment 806332

Once across the border, we got a tow truck to take the truck to Glendale Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep where we are currently waiting for the official diagnosis and hoping it is all covered under warranty.

The truck has 35k miles and this failure has already cost me close to $4,000 in tow services so hopefully Ram steps up for the manufacturing defect and it's documented TSB's and recall. My local dealer can't even get parts in for the Grid Heater Relay recall that came out almost a year ago now. Glendale has been much more helpful so far and glad to have it at the dealership we bought the truck from.

Thanks for the foreshadowing @UglyViking and @Pundy hahaha
Well, if it makes you feel any better at least you got a chance to tell the Mrs. that your starlink investment paid off. Sucks that happened dude. I hope Ram is able to get that addressed and they take care of you.

Myself and the truck are back in Colorado! Glendale Dodge got me back on the road in a week! They not only replaced the transmission under warranty but they went to bat for me with Ram and got my tow bill reimbursed. And, on top of that, they got two other open recalls done while the truck was in there. Both of which my local dealer just kept brushing off saying they had no parts available and they would call me if they got them in.

If you're in the LA area absolutely take your truck to Jackson Ellis's dealership in Glendale!

It’s odd… this truck is killer. So many great things. Carli, bajas the roof rack, bed rack etc. I get jealous and want a new truck…Then the trans fails and I am suddenly very content w my “smart like tractor” 12v 5spd from the 90’s. Super nice rig man, very happy they got your trans and tow covered by Ram. Keep’er wheelin.

It’s odd… this truck is killer. So many great things. Carli, bajas the roof rack, bed rack etc. I get jealous and want a new truck…Then the trans fails and I am suddenly very content w my “smart like tractor” 12v 5spd from the 90’s. Super nice rig man, very happy they got your trans and tow covered by Ram. Keep’er wheelin.
Yea it's funny, my old Duramax used to be a constant project. I figured hey I'll get something new and never have to work on it. It still needs work the only difference is its usually covered under warranty so I can at least relax while it gets done lol.

Trestle

It sounds like you got the TSB taken care of for the front driveshaft, but not sure since you said "recalls". I took my '22 to the dealer in Northern Arizona for the grid relay recall. Had them look at the front drive shaft telling them the exact wording of the TSB. They called me later and told me it was a steering intermediate shaft, asked who put on the lift, etc. (Of note, it is a 2.25" lift in the front consisting of coils, extended bump stops, longer shocks, and a longer HD track bar.) I told them that I ran into a TSB on the front drive shaft when doing research and asked them to check it out. I also asked why the "ratcheting or clicking" only happened in 4wd and not 2wd if it was steering related. Later that day when picking up the truck they told me they ordered the replacement front drive shaft, but their tech didn't think that would solve the issue.

I had him show me the part in the catalog that they diagnosed as the issue (prior to my informing them of the TSB). The tech said the intermediate shaft in the steering column was fully extended and shouldn't be like that.

I inspected once home to see if there was any validity in what the tech said. The steering box is hard mounted to the frame, and ALL suspension items lifted were below the frame (frame to axle). Then I noticed the extension section above a u-joint bend in the shaft connecting the steering wheel to the steering box. The extension is what RAM designed into the steering shaft so that the steering wheel would collapse in a front end collision instead of impaling the driver. OF COURSE IT WAS FULLY EXTENDED. Not to mention, no tooling or other inspection marks indicated that the boot was never opened up (as stated) to show the gearing inside all messed up (funny my steering has absolutely no play in it at all).

Dealer called to tell me the drive shaft arrived and to schedule an appointment. At the appointment drop off I pulled the service writer over and showed him my findings. He was tight lipped and quiet. Later that day when I picked up the truck he walked me out to the truck where no one was around and apologies for any misdiagnosis and said he was so pissed at his tech, that he should have known about the TSB, etc., etc.

That weekend we needed to go into 4 low to descend a steep hill with an S turn. Not a creak or peep so the TSB worked. I haven't closed the loop with the service writer but will the next time I am there.

In short - capability and willingness to take care of the customer varies greatly by dealer (as you have experienced) and you've ruled one dealership off of your list. It shouldn't be that way, but it is with anything. We are human, and we are fallible.

Now you have me worrying about my Aisin transmission as we're only sitting at between 8 and 9k. It's always something isn't it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner