Flippac Info?

Rexsname

Explorer
Are the gizmos permanently affixed to the hood channel? Where are the forward supports stored? If the truck was parked slightly nose up or down, would the levelness of the mattress be adjustable?

I'm guess ing there would be a gas mileage hit in town, but what about on the highway? The extra weight would allready be moving and it doesn't look like the FlipPac stands up too much into the windstream. Just thinking out loud...:coffee:

VikingVince

Explorer
Rexsname said:
Are the gizmos permanently affixed to the hood channel? Where are the forward supports stored? If the truck was parked slightly nose up or down, would the levelness of the mattress be adjustable?

I'm guess ing there would be a gas mileage hit in town, but what about on the highway? The extra weight would allready be moving and it doesn't look like the FlipPac stands up too much into the windstream. Just thinking out loud...:coffee:

The gizmos are permanently affixed in the hood channel. The forward bar supports are hinged on the back top of the flippac...unobtrusive.

No, the level of the mattress is not adjustable if the truck is parked at an up or down angle. I carry a couple short pieces of 2x6 nailed together as levelers and they're all I've ever needed.

Gas mileage...the flippac has minimal impact, IMO...overall, my truck is really heavy and I can still get 18-20 mpg on the freeway if I set the cruise control to 64mph. As soon as you go over 70, mpg drops quickly and significantly...like 5 mpg.

suntinez

Explorer
Rex, here’s a few photos that might help. Hope they come out the right size ...

Parts overview:
partsoverview.jpg

Pin gizmos in the hood channel, they stay in place. I don’t really notice them anymore but sometimes people do.
pinsinhood.jpg

Pins with stabilizer bars tied down:
stabilizerbarspinneddown.jpg

Halfway flipping open:
halfwayopen.jpg

Canopy and brackets, closed:
canopybrackets.jpg

Canopy as a hammock, halfway open:
hammockwithBarb.jpg

Sleeping area:
sleepingarea.jpg

I leave a sheet/blanket tucked in around the mattress, no problem flipping it closed, everything stays in place. Instead of trying to get a sleeping bag to stay put when flipping, I close the canopy halfway and lay the sleeping bag on top of that part, then finish closing the canopy.

I think the weight on mine is close to 300lb, but I have the longbed version – 8 ft bed. Was the only real viable option for me on a ½ ton truck. Gas mileage – didn’t notice a difference before and after I got it. Like Vince said, way more dependent on how fast I drive. I leave mine on all the time, but took it off once with two other people, not difficult.

It's been a great solution for me, really enjoying it.

VikingVince

Explorer
suntinez said:
Instead of trying to get a sleeping bag to stay put when flipping, I close the canopy halfway and lay the sleeping bag on top of that part, then finish closing the canopy.

OF COURSE...I can't believe I never thought of that or tried it! LOL...just goes to show how looking at something a certain way prevents seeing another possibility!

Rexsname

Explorer
Suntinez,

Thank you so much for your photo illustrations. I didn't know/understand that the hammock would also fit all the way across the interior of the roof/bed. I'm not sure we would ever use the hammock as extra sleeping area but it would be a handy place to set out the next mornings clothing.

You mentioned lifting it off once.....were you able to get your fingers between the truck bed and the FlipPac? I guess I'm having a hard time picturing the process. When you had it off did you just set it down on the driveway or garage floor? Saw horses? I have a fear of pinching my fingers between a heavy truck topper and the truck bed and not having the strength to remedy that problem.

Nice new truck, nice new FlipPac.... Are there options available when puchased new? I haven't heard the price tag but I'm guessing about $4K or so, am I at all close?

REX

Rexsname

Explorer
One more thing now that I've looked at the pictures again, The hammock looks really floppy, loose and not at all comfortable. Am I misreading the appearence? Is there a way to firm it up? I also noticed in the pictures that there was a board placed in the spot that the hammock. Is this something you added after learning what works and doesn't work for you? What led you to add this?

Have you used the FlipPac in bad weather? Do you have the rain fly? Do you find any problem with condensation on the inside of the tent? When the tent is zipped shut, does it stay warm enough? When you are standing up in the bed of the truck, how much of a big step is it to climb into bed? Is a step needed? Do you feel the truck move much when you roll over at night? Does the FlipPac squeak against the truck bed on bumpy roads?

REX

VikingVince

Explorer
I'm sure Suntinez will answer your questions and I think you'd like to hear her experience. I'll just say that the hammock can be opened/setup in a different way so it doesn't sag like that...in fact it's quite firm...I'm sure she knows that and probably just happened to have it that way when somebody climbed in.

Both Suntinez and I put a piece of plywood across part of the hammock and use it as a table. You can also hang the hammock completely to the side and out of the way entirely.

Last edited:

Bella PSD

Explorer
suntinez said:
Canopy and brackets, closed:
canopybrackets.jpg

This is how firm the canopy is when I use it. The smaller side to the right. You sleeping on top of that side. It does not sag down much at all.

VikingVince

Explorer
The above pic shows exactly what I was referring to. You leave the middle bar where it is and fold the other bar (on the left side of the pic) under it and the hammock stays firm. Suntinez just had it opened up the opposite way...she moved the middle bar over and the other bar in the middle...and as you can see there's more fabric between those two...hence the sag which you otherwise wouldn't have.

Bella PSD

Explorer
This is what the canopy looks like rolled up out of the way (sorry, best pic I could find at 1am!).

There seems to have been a problem with the Expedition Portal Forums database. No picture uploaded.
I will try again in the morning to upload the picture....:rolleyes:

Louie

suntinez

Explorer
Lots of questions, I understand! If it wasn’t for the folks on this board I wouldn’t have mine today, and I really like it. Plus I couldn’t get a call back from FRP, so I just showed up at their door.

The first flippac I saw was in San Diego on a Tacoma and the guy said his 10 yr old son liked sleeping on the hammock part – but like others have said he had it pulled over tight, not hanging like the pic I posted. I leave it hanging like that and throw my clothes in there for now, until I can figure out the cabinet build. I put the table/board in so I can set things on it once settled in for the night (this was really a pic of my dog ...)

table.jpg

When it’s really cold I put a small propane heater on the board and it’s within arm’s reach to turn it off when ready to sleep. I could put my other stuff on the fabric directly but wouldn’t feel safe with a heater there. The tent holds the heat in pretty well, I’ve never woken up because of cold. I spoke with a guy in AK before buying the rain fly to see what he thought, he says it greatly improves heat retention, and works well in the rain. I haven’t used the stormcover yet (it never rains in socal! except when it pours ...) but expect to get weather on some upcoming trips, so we’ll see. Condensation on the inside is about the same as with any other tent.

Are you thinking about this for your Tacoma? 6.5ft bed? If so, Vince can probably better answer your question on the height to the sleeping area. My truck bed is almost 2 feet deep, then add the height of the shell. I believe fiberglass-master Louie added some height inches to his shell when he did his amazing mods (can’t remember where I saw that), but he has a nice convertible bench/bed inside to step up. Vince has cool cabinets/seats all around.

On mine it is 4 ft from the surface of the truck bed up to the sleeping area – so for me, I need a step. You can put one foot on the little shelf over the bed rail to step up, but getting down in the am is trickier cause I’m getting old and creaky. Plus it is a huge jump for my dog, she can do it but has bottomed out a couple times, ouch. I first put in a “floppy box” to help with that and storage, now I have raised the floor and set a storage ottoman on top of that so it’s easy. Getting up is definitely part of the interior design considerations.

12vlights.jpg

Here’s the view looking down.
DSC_0484.jpg

There’s a lip on the outside mine, so it’s easy to pickup. We just set mine on the driveway when removed since it wasn’t off for long. This is the only pic I have that kinda shows the lip. (floppy box here)

box.jpg

Cost for mine was $3800, $450 for the paint match. I *think* the smaller ones are about $3300 new, that is just a guess. Options – only option is a fold down pass thru window which I wouldn’t get again – you have to fold the window down to open the slider, stupid. :confused: I’m changing that.

It doesn’t squeak (rubbery gasket underneath) or move around when driving offroad and the mattress feels very stable when you’re in it, even moving around up there. I don’t know how they do it but the torsion bar holds all the weight, and the stabilizer bars keep left/right motion to a minimum. It’s pretty bouncy (and not recommended) if the stabilizer bars aren’t pinned down.

Hope that helps, let us know if you get one. 6-8 wk lead time for mine, I had to wait for the stupid window.

Rexsname

Explorer
Another reason this forum ROCKS!:punk03: I really apreciate the time and trouble you have taken to answer my 'nosey' questions. My situation is up in the air at the moment and it would need to be a desision made with my wifes input. Unfortunately, we wont know when she will get to come home for a while yet...........(see PTSD thread or PM for the gruesome details)

I'm firmly of the mindset that you get what you pay for, I dont think I'll be looking for a used one. For the cost of a new one and a quality 12v fridge I think we could learn to be quite comfortable. Lifes unexpected changes mean we will not be pulling a 35' 5th wheel anythime soon.

Thank you again for your helpful answers,

REX

Bella PSD

Explorer
Bella PSD said:
The Torsion bar carnage. Busted into two pieces! The aluminum cover did its job and kept the bar from flopping around after it broke. The last time I shut the flip I must of only used the aluminum cover. Looks like the aluminum is good for one closing if the t bar snaps. Good to know!

Flip%20Pac%20Torsion%20bar%20006b.jpg

Looks like Flip Pac is finally shipping out my new torsion bar!!! Back ordered forever!! I will let everone know how the install goes.

Louie

Rexsname

Explorer
Is the FlipPac held onto the truck bed with C-clamps or is it a drill-and-tap type of attachment? Does the rear window of the truck get real dirty from the dust sucking up into the small space between cab and shell? Is there enough room to get in there and clean the glass? How about dust intrusion into the living quarters after a day on the trail?

REX

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal