Flippac Info?

suntinez

Explorer
Bella PSD said:
The bad part...They are back ordered about 6 weeks!! I guess the bright side is I am good for another 7 years.

No camping for me till Christmas!

Louie

That is too bad, but we will wait with you ... tick tock, tick tock. Did you order one or going to try something else?

I'm dying to see how you setup your interior, but understand might be hard to explain or get pics if you can't open the flippac.

And the rear steps up to the door? Is that a custom or did you get them somewhere? I'm looking at something like this for mine with the current tailgate setup: http://www.duluthtrading.com/82338.aspx?src=T27WSHOP1 or maybe this: http://www.truck-pal.com/ or cabela's version: http://www.cabelas.com/information/AutomotiveATV/TailgateFold-UpStep.html My knees (and my dog) are telling me this is rapidly becoming a priority.

Thanks.

Bella PSD

Explorer
I did not order the torsion bar yet. I think I might try welding it back together and see what happens. If it fails after the repair I can just order a new one. The interior of my camper is just like a FWCamper shell model (empty). I have temporary fitted a sink, bottom bed, seating, water tank, battery and toilet. This was done the day before my trip out to NC Core Banks trip. Sleeps 5 easy right now. Just finished the interior off good enough to camp. I will try opening it up again tomorrow, but like Vince said. If I get it open I will shot some pictures.

My step is custom made. It’s a simple 2 step that fits into the receiver. So two steps up to the bumper and one more into the camper door. Cost about $15 to make. I just started welding and that step is the first thing I ever welded. Its kind of cool because I can flip it over and mount it upside down when traveling. That way its not hanging down and is right there when I need it. Also can be used as a storage platform while its upside down.

Out of the 3 you picked above I like Truck-Pal Tailgate Ladder the best. But the Truck-Pal Tailgate Ladder might be awkward on uneven ground. Because of that, the Hitchmate Truck Step might be the best. I do like that it is not dependent on the ground for support.

Louie

Bella PSD

Explorer
The Torsion bar carnage. Busted into two pieces! The aluminum cover did its job and kept the bar from flopping around after it broke. The last time I shut the flip I must of only used the aluminum cover. Looks like the aluminum is good for one closing if the t bar snaps. Good to know!
Flip%20Pac%20Torsion%20bar%20005b.jpg

Flip%20Pac%20Torsion%20bar%20006b.jpg

As requested…below is a picture of the inside. Now remember that I finished the outside construction the day before our big Core Banks NC trip. Most of what you see inside was done in a few hours. The day we departed for Core Banks I was up at 5am and just did what I could right up until it was time to go.

That morning I temporary installed the bench to the right. It folds out into a bed for two. The battery is all the way to the front left. Next to the battery is the 15-gallon water tank that’s plumed to the sink. The sink is to the left in the photo in the “custom” foam core cabinet (framed with 1x2’s). Gray water tank below the sink. Power Inverter to the lower left where a 12V fridge should be!! Toilet to the lower right.

The good thing here is I have the opportunity to change around anything I did not like on the 1st few camping trips. Like how the lower bed flips up. I will be ripping all this out for the real interior build after I get the 12V fridge.
Flip%20Pac%20inside%20015b.jpg

Louie

suntinez

Explorer
OUCH on the torsion bar, WOW on the interior. I really like what you've done ..... thank you for the pic! That looks really comfortable.

I'm working on a quick and dirty seutp because so far it's been alot of waiting and internet searching, but not enough travelling. But I'm learning all the way, thanks to you and others. Like you were saying, I think you learn what works best by doing, then modifying :)

Thanks again.

suntinez

Explorer
Hi Louie,

So any update on the torsion bar? Did you weld or order a new one?

I've been having my own issues with a rain-test gone VERY wrong. Left the flippac open for 7 hours (don't ask) in a much heavier rain than was expected and wound up soaking the mattress, flooding all of the mattress area - yep right over the sides - and much of the interior. After a lot of sopping things up and removing the mattress to wring the water out, I'm having problems getting things back in order. The spongy thing that goes over the hinge subsequently froze and now wants to fold out instead of in, which means it's no longer a one person job to close the flip.

Fortunately I live near FRP and will be going to see them next week. And I bought the storm cover, talked to a guy in AK who has one and is pleased with it. Hopefully will get some pics of that to post.

Last edited:

suntinez

Explorer
FRP took really good care of my rain fallout problems. They replaced the mattress, as well as the hinge cover and a few other waterlog issues. I'm back in flipping business! :)

Bella PSD

Explorer
I ended up welding the bar back together for now. To install it back onto the Flip Pac you have to open the flip to a 90 degree. Support it some how and slide in the new (or fixed) bar. At the 90 degree is the spot the bar has no load on it (no twist). So it should slide in easy in this position. Just need to get it done and see if the weld will hold up??

Sorry to here about our water log…Glad they took care of you!! My foam centerpiece tends to fold out too. I use a long ice scraper that telescopes. Makes it a one person flip again.

Pictures would be cool….Every time my rain cover is on I never get a shot. Was going to take some pictures of the rain cover when the T-bar busted, so I am working on it. Maybe over Christmas holiday…

FYI, I asked FRP about a replacement tent just incase I ever need one. They will sell one for $600. That seems like a good price for as big a tent it is.

Louie

suntinez

Explorer
Finally put the storm cover on today, it seems to work well - easy to put on, just tie it to the poles and flip - and I think it will keep rain out. It was a tight fit at the back, will play with it some and see if I can't get it on better - or maybe put it on backwards. It does require 4 bungees or rope to make it work right, I need longer ones to attach to the side step rail, hooked it on the bumper in the back.

stormcovermid-flip.jpg

stormcoverstarthere.jpg

stormcover.jpg

Last edited:

suntinez

Explorer
Louie,
Curious on how your torsion bar fix went?

I had something unexpected happen with mine a month or so ago. I was driving to lower altitudes to knock off ~15" of snow, here's part of it:
pileofsnow.jpg

As I pulled off on the side of the road, the whole load of snow fell off on the driver's side and popped the lid open! It was latched and locked when I started, but after I got out the passenger side hinge was still locked (barely), but the whole top was skewed about 3" to the left and the driver side hinge was hanging open off the side. And I could see the end of the torsion bar exposed beneath that aluminum casing.

Back to FRP - geeez - glad I'm nearby and within the first year warranty. They replaced the clips that hold the stabilizer bars, which broke in the process, realigned the torsion bar, and added an extra gasket to the top at the rear. I'll be driving carefully with a snow load in the future ... and tightening the adjustable latches down as much as possible.

jayshapiro

Adventurer
Flippac for Jeeps!

Hi There,

I spoke with Flippac on the phone today. They confirmed that they are working on a "Flippac Jr." for the Jeep Wrangler 4-door which should be ready by the end of the year. Their engineers are "trying to work out all the details now".

If this turns out to be for real, then I think there are a lot of us that would be very interested in a (AUS-spec) 4dr, diesel, RHD Wrangler, with the right spec' and a flippac in place of the standard hard top. Could be a very nice 2 person round-the-world set-up. If they make it flip 'backwards' (i.e. to the rear like on the Earthroamer) then they could even rig up a velcro 'room' attachment to create a living space below as a standard part of the setup.

Would be a very nice rig, and would allow the more capable do-it-yourselfers to essentially build a XV-JP and a substantially lower price.

img_0321_letter%20size_std.jpg

Not this one... but close! -- Photo copyright Earthroamer.

I'm excited...

Jay.

VikingVince

Explorer
Jay,

I hope you're right and that they'll come through...but I wouldn't hold my breath.
They've been promising this for a couple years now. The Flippac is not their main business...that's why you don't see any advertising for Flippacs in any magazines whatsoever...at least I've never seen any. It's pretty much all by word of mouth.
Given it's price and features, I think the Flippac is one of the most under-appreciated and under-used options in the camping/offroad market. If they advertised a little, I think you'd see a lot more of them. In terms of price, living space, sleeping comfort it's a very viable choice. Earthroamer apparently thought so as well!

Bella PSD

Explorer
I also think Earthroamer is on to something with their use of the Flip Pac style. I also gave Earthroamer a hard time about the use of a motor to flip the pac open. The more I deal with may broken T-bar on the Flip Pac, the more I am liking the Earthroamer motor idea!! In Flip Pac's defense, their T-bar did last about 10 years. Just a pain to get parts 2,000 miles away! With a motor, I could fix it anywhere, maybe.

Louie

Rexsname

Explorer
I have a question in a different direction, When the FlipPac is closed for transport, Does the bedding stay on the bed? Does it fall off into the bed of the truck? Would resting the FlipPac on saw horses damage the mattress? Are the sides of the bed strong enough to support lift-jacks? If I get one I only want it on when we need to use it. The website shows a weight of 250lbs+/-. That seems very light to my sceptical mind, is the weight listed accurate?

Are the forward supports near the hood hidden/unobtrusive? Or do they stick up in an ugly way? I think I've read every thread on this forum and I thank you for your time and any new photos you may post to help with your answer. :wavey:

REX

Bella PSD

Explorer
When the FlipPac is closed for transport, the bedding stays on the bed as long as you close the flip with the cover (cot) installed across the cap. Short answer Yes

Saw horses would damage the mattress. You could use a piece of plywood to spread the weight over the mattress. I bet that would be fine.

Not sure on the lift jacks or what you have in mind but the sides are very strong. My Flip Pac seems to be built better than the average cap.

I think mine "when new" was about #325. Thats for a full size truck. It took four people to move my when it was a stock Flip Pac.

The pin up front coming out of the hood sticks out about 3/4 inch. Not much at all. I never notice it, BUT I get asked all the time, "what is that".

Louie

Last edited:

VikingVince

Explorer
Rexsname said:
I have a question in a different direction, When the FlipPac is closed for transport, Does the bedding stay on the bed? Does it fall off into the bed of the truck? Would resting the FlipPac on saw horses damage the mattress? Are the sides of the bed strong enough to support lift-jacks? If I get one I only want it on when we need to use it. The website shows a weight of 250lbs+/-. That seems very light to my sceptical mind, is the weight listed accurate?

Are the forward supports near the hood hidden/unobtrusive? Or do they stick up in an ugly way? I think I've read every thread on this forum and I thank you for your time and any new photos you may post to help with your answer. :wavey:

REX

I'll add my .02 to your questions.

Regular bedding (sheets, blankets) would stay in place if tucked under the sides of the mattress. A sleeping bag (single or double) might collapse towards the foot end of the mattress and make closing the flippac a bit tight. (because of the bunched up bag). But you could easily rig up a couple buckle straps across the bag to make the bag stay flat and in place. You've got a good inch to work with in terms of leaving any type of bedding there. The stock foam mattress is about 3 inches and perfectly comfortable when new and should last about 10 years plus. My flippac is 15 years old and the foam was compressing and I was feeling the bottom of the flippac.. so I replaced it with a high density 4" foam mattress...VERY comfy...I can still close the flippac no problem but can't leave my double sleeping bag in place. (no part of the tent or mattress and bedding ever comes into the truck bed if you remember to put the cover/cot in place)

You could rest the flippac on 4 sawhorses and not even touch the mattress. The flippac would be resting on the sides...very strong and no problem.

The weights are accurate...IMO, one reason the flippac is a viable alternative to a shell...no higher COG issues...plus you get all the benefits of standing room and building a living space.

Forward supports...do you mean the bars or the little pin gizmos they attach to?
Regardless, both are unobtrusive. It's important to put the gizmos exactly in the right spot so the bed is level when you open it and attach the bars to the gizmos. On the website you see some beds that don't look quite level...the gizmos should have been a little further forward.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal