Flippac Info?

Bella PSD

Explorer
Vince,

that's a great pic of your rig...look forward to seeing pics of the interior when you get it finished...cool project.
Thanks. Did you ever see the picture of your truck I used to mock up my build in Photo Shop? (before my Flip pac arrived) …I add a back door to your truck in PS.

The inside is in the beginning phase. I have installed a 12V battery and battery box (vented), 15 gal fresh water tank, sink with gray water tank, Small counter, a seating area with a table and a fold out bed for two. I can sleep 5 people if one small person (child) is in the hammock. Although, I have reinforced to hammock mounts with bolts that go all the way through the wall. So it could hold a full size adult. I also have a 30-amp converter so I can plug in at campgrounds. Most of the above interior items are installed temporarily. Mainly because I wanted to get camping in it, but also to try out how thing will work in the real world. I am planning to remove everything from the inside and build it to completion…after the outside is complete.

How did you do the custom rear/back door of the flip pac?
Lots of time planning and custom wood and fiberglass. Kind of built like a boat. I went with fiberglass because one of my goals was to have a smooth, paint to match, finish.

Did you do it yourself?...job it out?...I don't believe flippac does that, do they?
I have done all of the work myself. Got a few quotes but just a small portion of the build was $2,400.00. Flip Pac does not make anything like this.

Is there a screen door as well?
Not yet. But I am planning on one of those retractable type screens the roll up like a window shade turned on its side.

I just noticed the fold out steps...nice...I assume that's a fold-up, permanent mounting?
Thanks! It’s not a fold up step. I need all the departure clearance I can get so I made a step that goes into the receiver hitch. The steps gives me a there step approach into the doorway. There is a handle, by the right side of the door, as well. When I am traveling I can remove the steps and store it in the camper or turn it upside down, reinsert it into the receiver hitch and use it carry cargo. The step also works very well on the front bumper receiver hitch, as a way to access the hood. Makes a good seat on the front or back of the truck.

Are you able to leave your sleeping bag or bedding in place when you close the flippac?
Yes, but its tight when I leave the sleeping bags up there. I am thinking about replacing the mattress that comes with the Flip Pac with something thicker. That’s not going to help the closing up the camper, especially if I leave the sleeping bags up there when I close it up.

PS - is your awning a permanently installed roll-up name brand? or is it a tarp type that you attach when you want to have it there? that's what I do, only on the back of my rig.
The awning is a roll up type. It is mounted to an awning mount so I can slide it on or off anytime I want. I have an awning on both sides. Just one awning in the picture because of all the wind on the beach. I am planning an awning on the back as well. Have not figured that on out yet. I want the back awning to tie into a screen tent like you have.

Louie

Bella PSD

Explorer
Found it. This is what yours would kinda look like with a rear door. I “borrowed” your truck to see how the rear door would look in PhotoShop before I received my Flip Pac.
L_vince05_03.jpg

VikingVince

Explorer
Hey Louie,

I do recall seeing that PS's pic of my rig...cool. But you did more than just take out the flippac rear door...you must have cut into the fiberglass, yes? Because yours looks so seamless, like it's part of the original fiberglass of the flippac. I would have no idea how to do that...that seamless fiberglass joint must involve technique similar to plastering??

Nice design and options with the rear step!

What you're planning and designing on the inside is GREAT!! I've said in other threads that what you're doing more or less rivals the amenities/capabilities of the new Earthroamer XV-JP...for alot less $$$. And you have the extra space of a full size truck bed. Just wondering...did you consider designing in a toilet/shower? (of course you'd probably have to give up something else) But what I've thought would work is the type shower you find in the pop-up tent trailers - where the shower walls are zip-in or pull-up fabric curtain. You don't really need it...just wondering if you considered plans for it.

If you would...What's the brand name on that awning you're using?

Re mattress...I replaced mine with a 4" higher density foam mattress. It is soooooo comfortable. I bought my flippac used (10 years old!) and after about a year the original 3" foam mattress (which was lighter density) wasn't holding up...could feel the hard fiberglass underneath. It's about 7 pounds heavier too.

One mistake I made was the custom rack on top. It's too heavy. If you want a rack on top, I would suggest just two Thule or Yakima cargo bars. I really like having the rack for light items like chairs,roll-up table, shovel. (before opening the top I always take everything off except the shovel) Because of the extra weight of the rack and mattress, I now have to be "creative" when opening/closing the top. I prop the top up a third of the way with my hiking stick and then use the crank! And I tie a rope to the front of the rack and pull from the back to close

You're gonna have a great unit when you're finished...wish I could see it in person. If you're ever out SoCal way, let me know!

One last thing...I've added a Kawasaki KLR 250 dual purpose to my rig...I use a receiver hitch motorcycle carrier (MotojackRack). Obviously I'm not doing trails with that set-up, other than unimproved surface/dirt roads/beach. But for campgrounds and some remote basecamps, it's great...after getting everything setup, it's nice to have a means of getting around the local area or doing some trails.

Well, good luck with everything Louie...long live Flippacs!!:jumping:

suntinez

Explorer
thanks flippac-ers!

Hey just wanted to say thanks to Vince and Louie and others for posting the great images and info on the flip-pac shell.

I bought a 2007 4x4 Tundra with the longbed and did lots of online research to figure out what would work best for camping. For a 1/2 ton truck, it's big!

Had some trouble getting return calls from the folks at FRP, so I went down there to take a look and wound up ordering one. It should be done tomorrow :jumping: , waiting on the window for it to be completed. They have a new window available which both folds down and slides for a pass-thru to the truck.

So looking forward to customizing the interior and figuring out this forum to post some pics myself.

Bella PSD

Explorer
Congratulations!! The waiting just stinks! I had to wait for mine to be shipped from CA to OH. Can’t wait to see the pictures!

Louie

erod

Adventurer
suntinez said:
Hey just wanted to say thanks to Vince and Louie and others for posting the great images and info on the flip-pac shell.

I bought a 2007 4x4 Tundra with the longbed and did lots of online research to figure out what would work best for camping. For a 1/2 ton truck, it's big!

Had some trouble getting return calls from the folks at FRP, so I went down there to take a look and wound up ordering one. It should be done tomorrow :jumping: , waiting on the window for it to be completed. They have a new window available which both folds down and slides for a pass-thru to the truck.

So looking forward to customizing the interior and figuring out this forum to post some pics myself.

i agree, the flip pac is super cool, glad to hear they are still "popping" out campers. can't wait for the pics...

louie, that picture that you created on the back of vince's flip pac looks very similar to the backdoor of a FWC...cool idea...

suntinez

Explorer
I really like what Louie did with the back door too, dying for a sneak peek at his interior.

Turns out that FRP is a small shop in Riverside, couldn't be even 5 miles away from the 6-pac/FWC factory - I went over there too. I like some of the things they did with the FWC, but pretty pricey for what you get, and sooooo little storage. Plus on an 8 foot bed the FWC becomes a bit heavy to actually pop-up. In fact they make some kind of mechanical assist option for $$$$ for the bigger units. I was able to crank the flippac one-handed :wings:

When I went to flippac, I ran into the owner Homer (?) in between sessions with Diane as he was leaving for an appt elsewhere. They had an 8-ft shell just about to be installed for someone else and he told her to have the guys put it on my truck for me, and to "come back with a contract". So they did, and she did, and it looked pretty good even closed, so hopefully this is all going to work out. Nobody else is even making shells for the new Tundra yet, seems they do the big 3 before the imports on new models, so I'm happy to be getting it. (ok there are a couple, but not what I'm looking for)

I found out that the tent part on short, regular and long-bed models is the same (at least on full size truck ones), and they have different templates for the shell part. So on a longbed, it sort of scoops backwards to the hinge part, instead of the little nose that goes over the cab on the other beds.

FRP has done an okay job of staying in touch during the wait, so I think I can wait a few more days. But .... it's all TALK until there are PICS.

Thanks for the welcome, this is a great forum.

Last edited:

Bella PSD

Explorer
erod said:
louie, that picture that you created on the back of vince's flip pac looks very similar to the backdoor of a FWC...cool idea...
Erod

Ahhh...look back one page in this thread (post #29) for the real thing. Not a photoshop but a Flip Pac that is being converted into closed in slide in camper with a back door like the mock up above. And yes, I used a FWC back door for the mock up in photoshop. I am on to the real thing now!!

Louie

Last edited:

VikingVince

Explorer
Bella PSD said:
Ahhh...look back one page in this thread (post #29) for the real thing. Not a photoshop but a Flip Pac that is being converted into closed in slide in camper with a back door like the mock up above. And yes, I used a FWC back door for the mock up in photoshop. I am on to the real thing now!!

Louie

Louie,

As I've said...I love what you've done...would you tell us a little more about how you did your back door? I think we'd all be interested...thanks.

suntinez

Explorer
Thanks Louie, I can now say YES, I have PICS!!! :) Truck is stock 07 Tundra, double cab, 4x4, longbed - everything except the flippac ...

They bolted it to the railing inside the bed which is great so I have something to connect the interior cabinets to, once I get those built. Truck rides alot better now with the extra weight - I am impressed. Tires/wheels likely to get changed out soon, so it can only get better, not that it was bad to start with.

I was curious about the storm cover and talked to Diane quite a bit about it, but didn't get one (yet) for $280 (ouch). She suggested a boat cover if I wanted to go a cheaper route and use bungees etc to attach it. Diane gave me an old brochure which shows the storm cover setup, when I get a chance I'll scan that in and post it. She's also going to call me when they have some in house so I can try it out.

Interestingly enough the old brochure was put out by Six-Pac, who used to own the patents for the flippac and sold them to the owner of FRP. FRP also produces the showers and some of the fiberglass parts for Six-pac/FWC. Small world ...

Already having fun with this thing, was hanging out inside with a friend and my dog this morning and planning camping trips. And lots of people stopping by to gawk, that was fun too.

OK let's see if I can make attachments work.

Bella PSD

Explorer
Looks awesome!! I love the paint to match color, VERY stealthy, no one would think it’s a camper closed up. Glad to see someone else with the front supports almost laying flat! I had to make mine 6 inches longer just to make it to the back of the hood. I will see if I have any pictures of the storm cover attached to my Flip Pac. If not, maybe that will be my excuses to get the Flip Pac out for the weekend!!

And the looks from people when its opened up…They just look and shake there heads, sometimes they come up and ask all kinds of questions. FUN!

Congratulations!!!:clapsmile
Louie

suntinez

Explorer
Come on get it out, you know you want to! Do you have the factory cover?

Here's the old brochure from the days when Six-Pac made the flippac. FRP says the same folks are making the storm covers now.

Vince, look at the door on the "Tradesman" "aluminum commercial topper" on the bottom right. Hmmm, not sure what it's made of though, guessing aluminum and not fiberglass.

suntinez

Explorer
suntinez said:
Here's the old brochure from the days when Six-Pac made the flippac.

Having technical difficulties (ahem) with the file upload ... will try again later. Site is rejecting me, sigh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk