FlipPac roof top load.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
But the crux of the matter is that in making the modification to your shell FRP has contradicted themselves on their own guidelines.

Not surprising.

As you told me during our frequent phone conversations "AT seems to know more about this product than FRP does".

Yup. :coffee:

While your rack set up only weighs 6.25 lbs once that weight extends out up to 7 feet from the hinge the torque is considerable.

True. That may work for awhile, but early failure is assured.

Frostymug

Observer
Martyn,

With all due respect I think we are just going to have to disagree on this issue. I believe the FlipPac is fully capable of handling the minimal weight of tracks attacked to the roof.

By the way, I’m still interested in purchasing a single-wall FlipPac tent.

Cliff

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
It all sounds very straight forward, stick a light track and roof rack on top of a FlipPac, only weighs 6.5 lbs.

Then you get into fulcrums, levers, mechanical advantage, moment, and torque and it all gets a little hazy. Simple enough to work out how a single mass a given distance from a fulcrum will apply force to that point, but now there is a track and interior plywood reinforcement extending out from the fulcrum, as well as two fixed masses at two know distances from the fulcrum.

If you think the problem this far it becomes a mathematical mess to work out. Much easier to think about a light 6.5 lb rack as the maximum mass we are dealing with.

Super Doody

Explorer
I know others have asked the question, but i am still not clear on the correct answer. I am interested in getting a flippac and would like to mount a set of yakima or thule rails to the flippac to carry kayaks or a canoe. I know that this means unloading the boats every night, but i will not be carrying them all the time. Will the load be too much for the flippac to carry (150lb max). It is my understanding that the limited carry weight on the flippac is related to the strength of the hinge mechanism and the potential for opening the flippac with a load on the roof. I will not be opening it with a load. So, can i carry kayaks or a canoe on a flippac?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Brian Bates
New to Expo Portal

This might be an option:

http://www.bajataco.com/vikingvince/Vince_FlipPac/enlfr.htm?13

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004

I have watched Vince open his. If I recollect correctly, he first props up the top from the inside with a 2x4 until its about 45-50 degrees, then he gets out, goes to the front and pulls it open the rest of the way with a rope. He does a variant of the process to close it. I'll let Vince chime in in case I have the order of the steps incorrect. He does all of this because the crank handle and the spring rate of the torsion rod cannot overcome the weight of the rack. It is known that forcing the handle will cause premature failure of the torsion rod.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
I have watched Vince open his. If I recollect correctly, he first props up the top from the inside with a 2x4 until its about 45-50 degrees, then he gets out, goes to the front and pulls it open the rest of the way with a rope. He does a variant of the process to close it. I'll let Vince chime in in case I have the order of the steps incorrect. He does all of this because the crank handle and the spring rate of the torsion rod cannot overcome the weight of the rack. It is known that forcing the handle will cause premature failure of the torsion rod.

x2

RHINO

Expedition Leader
personally i dont see where the torsion bar has anything to do with a roof load, the spring will never have more tension (load) than in its stored or fully open state, if you want proof unlatch the top and watch it pop up several inches. add the bars ect that you plan to leave mounted on the camper, place in the areas where they will be mounted, if the top is still held up by the spring your golden and not exceeding the spring rate.

thats my bit on why i think its perfectly fine to mount something on the lid, martyn says the warranty will be void, i'll take that to the bank, the design is poor and they do break. if you plan to get it fixed under warranty dont mount anything to the roof, i'm not worried about it cause i dont have a warranty, you will need to decide that for yourself.

i will be carrying a kayak on the roof to avoid a trailer. i'm not worried about the weight of the kayak while the camper is closed. and whatever i decide for mounting it i wont be worried about that while opening and closing the top.

Last edited:

kevek01

FRP provides a warranty? Interesting. I've had a Thule quick release set up (with the artificial rain gutter) for a year waiting to install on my flip-pac. Now if only I could get the damn thing open...torsion bar break and no replacement from FRP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad