Flyer's '02 Tundra adventure build

rickashay

Explorer
14ish around town, 19-20ish on the hw at 65.

19-20MPG, that's what dreams are made of! Wish mine would pull those kind of numbers.

Awesome rig. I have really been debating a hard-shell RTT as of late. I'm just worried it would be too short internally for my height. Next time your up there, would you mind getting me a usable length measurement for the inside of the RTT? I see the exterior dimensions on their website, but that doesn't really help me all that much.

Excellent progress on the build. Definitely be watching this one!

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Only thing keeping me from a hard shell RTT is not having an attachable annex. For dry climates it wouldn't matter to me but in the PNW it sure is nice to climb out of the tent into a dry area to stand up, change, cook, etc. Otherwise I really like the profile.
At 70+ mph I can really feel the drag of my brick lol. But I just downshift and it's all good :) Gonna fashion a fairing of sorts here real soon.

PaintRock

Adventurer
I'm getting around 14 in town and 16-17 on the highway. You must have bought one of the last of the '02s. I bought my '03 in November of '02.

D

Deleted member 9101

19-20MPG, that's what dreams are made of! Wish mine would pull those kind of numbers.

Haha... well, I have a light right foot and my truck is not 4x4. I also have electric cooling fans and a under drive pulley. Although I have a 2" lift and my tires are bigger, they are a street tire and not insanely wide.

Flyer69

Observer

Awesome rig. I have really been debating a hard-shell RTT as of late. I'm just worried it would be too short internally for my height. Next time your up there, would you mind getting me a usable length measurement for the inside of the RTT? I see the exterior dimensions on their website, but that doesn't really help me all that much.

Excellent progress on the build. Definitely be watching this one!

Thanks, Rickashay! Truth be told, your build thread helped motivate me to get started on mine. SeanPistol's too. I'll be home in 3 more weeks, and I'll get you some measurements inside. I had the same initial fear about the inside height of the JB RTT. I even panicked a little when I went to pick it up, as it was a big investment. Bruce at Nomad was awesome... he had one set up on the floor when I arrived and I sat inside it. He and I are both 6'0", and we both could sit up comfortably. Some people are taller in the torso, others in the legs. If i sit bolt upright on a hard floor i am 33" tall, and can just feel the tent ceiling touching my head. Sitting in a relaxed state like humans do 99% of the time, I have about 2" to spare. I also have a 1.5" memory foam topper on top of the stock mattress, fwiw. Inside height concerns are also why I chose the Evasion Evo over the Explorer Evo. Explorer has a recessed area in the rear of the lid that can fit a spare tire or other gear, but it intrudes into the headroom. If you're still concerned, JB makes one called the Discovery Space that is much taller inside, but shorter at the foot. Here's a photo:

Discovery Space.jpeg

Oh wait, maybe you meant length as in laying down? I'm 6'0" (and usually sleep with my arms above my head...) and I have a little room to spare. Hope that answers your question. I'll measure when I get home and snap a few pics for you. I'm way stoked on mine, as you can probably tell. :wings:

PaintRock
I'm getting around 14 in town and 16-17 on the highway. You must have bought one of the last of the '02s. I bought my '03 in November of '02.

I did... bought mine in August of '02.

At 70+ mph I can really feel the drag of my brick lol. But I just downshift and it's all good Gonna fashion a fairing of sorts here real soon.

I definitely can hear a difference in the wind noise, and even more so since I went to a lower profile Front Runner rack vs my original Yakimas. It forces some wind between the cab and canopy and sometimes makes my slider whistle a bit at 70+. It's not bad by any means though. I too am considering mounting a single Yakima crossbar with a fairing on the cab. I want to see if noise and mpg improves. If so, I'll probably mount a permanent rack up there that will also hold a solar panel.

Flyer69

Observer
Tire size?

I'm contemplating my next set of tires, and right now I'm really leaning toward the Cooper ST Maxx in a 255/85/16. My last 2 sets have been 275/70/16 BFG T/A's. Does anyone have experience with this size tire on a Tundra? Any disadvantages?

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I think the st MAXX are heavier and not 3 ply sidewalls like the BFG.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
2 cents time. Coming from a 33x10.50 I have a little bit of experience with a narrow tire on a truck your size. Personally I couldn't stand the look of a tall narrow tire on my wide truck. And by wide I mean wider than a Tacoma or 4Runner. Narrow tires look great on those models but for some reason I couldn't get myself to like em on my rig. Performance wise they were great, nice traction on and off road. They do great on the highway. My current 12" wide tires like to grab the ruts on the interstate and pull me around a little bit. Not bad, just something I've noticed over my last set. Also more rolling resistance for sure than the 10.50". However, the snow and sand traction will be better with the wider tire so it's all trade offs I guess. I think a good compromise would be an 11.5" wide tire.
I almost got 295/75r16 (33.4"×11.50") but got 305/70 instead.

Last edited:

jim65wagon

That's about what I get with my 03. I occasionally get 18 on the freeway but not often. I drive too fast for that.

I bought my 03 on September 29 of 2002.

rickashay

Explorer
Oh wait, maybe you meant length as in laying down? I'm 6'0" (and usually sleep with my arms above my head...) and I have a little room to spare. Hope that answers your question. I'll measure when I get home and snap a few pics for you. I'm way stoked on mine, as you can probably tell. :wings:

Lol yah sorry, I was referring to length laying down. I am 6'6" tall so interior length is a hug concern. Reduced headroom I can deal with.

FWIW I really liked my ST Maxx.

HighPlains

Observer
So than it just comes down to which brand you want lol

Pretty much, and the terrain you're going to be spending the most time in the Maxx's will have a bit of a traction advantage in deeper mud and they have a cut & chip resistant compound if you are spending a lot of time in rock or gravel.

Flyer69

Observer
Lol yah sorry, I was referring to length laying down. I am 6'6" tall so interior length is a hug concern. Reduced headroom I can deal with.

FWIW I really liked my ST Maxx.

At 6'6", you wouldn't like the Evasion. You would need a Grand Raid XXL. I almost went with that one just for the extra room, but it would have looked crazy on my canopy! That one is good for trailers, and maybe on a Sequoia or something with a wider roof.

theBullfrog125, 2 cents time....../QUOTE] Thanks for your input. I didn't buy my Tundra for the great gas mileage, but hey, if I can improve it, why not? Since I've had 3 sets of BFG's, I think I might try out a set of Coopers next time.

For the first gen Tundra the official tire is the ST Maxx. Accept no substitutes
Jim65wagon, which size are you running? I'd like to run 33's, so there are a few options for tread width between the KO2's and the ST Maxx's. I'd really love to see a photo of a Tundra with the pizza cutter Coopers on it. ***Nevermind, dug through the old STT Maxx thread and found some***

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach