Flyer's '02 Tundra adventure build

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
There are so many good A/T tires out on the market these days.. Duratrac, BFG KO2, General AT2, Cooper ST Maxx, Toyo AT2 Extreme, they are all fine tires. Honestly any would do.

Last edited:

AaronK

Explorer
There are so many good A/T tires out on the market these days.. Duratrac, BFG KO2, General AT2, Cooper ST Maxx, Toyo AT2 Extreme, they are all fine tires. Honestly any would do.
Yup. I hate arguments about "best"

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Everybody has their own opinions on tires but there are so many variables involved in every situation. To say one tire is absolutely better than another similar tire in that situation is difficult. You just have to take tire opinions with a grain of salt IMO.

Flyer69

Observer
Haha.... nahhhhhh

Which tires are your favorites, Sean? I don't plan on going bigger than 33's, and so far the ST Maxx in 255/85/16 are really appealing to me, mainly because I want to try the slightly narrower profile. My BFG AT KO's have never let me down, and I do like the new KO2's... Why does it have to be so hard to choose?

I'm offshore for another 3 weeks, so for now my build efforts are at a standstill, but I have a bunch more stuff on deck for when I get home. In the meantime, I get to do lots of fun research and plotting and scheming....:coffee:

seanpistol

Explorer
I think there are so many options and so many intended uses that it's hard to say. Most companies have a good offering. For myself, I like the Duratrac because of the tread pattern, siping, how well they balance, how quiet they are on the road, and they are MADE IN THE USA.

What are you offshore for?

thefatkid

Observer
Which tires are your favorites, Sean? I don't plan on going bigger than 33's, and so far the ST Maxx in 255/85/16 are really appealing to me, mainly because I want to try the slightly narrower profile. My BFG AT KO's have never let me down, and I do like the new KO2's... Why does it have to be so hard to choose?

I have run the KM2s on my Tacoma I just sold and currently on my 2004 4runner. They make noise like a mud tire should and look the part. My 2006 Tundra I decided to go with the STMaxx in a 255/85r16. They don't make anywhere the amount of noise that the KM2s put out. Wet road traction feels better. I didn't have them early enough to drive on packed snow this year. Offroad traction doesn't feel much different at this point, I guess I should swap tires between vehicles and drive again. I think I will look for a set for the 4runner when the time is up.

MobTuff

Observer
I have run the KM2s on my Tacoma I just sold and currently on my 2004 4runner. They make noise like a mud tire should and look the part. My 2006 Tundra I decided to go with the STMaxx in a 255/85r16. They don't make anywhere the amount of noise that the KM2s put out. Wet road traction feels better. I didn't have them early enough to drive on packed snow this year. Offroad traction doesn't feel much different at this point, I guess I should swap tires between vehicles and drive again. I think I will look for a set for the 4runner when the time is up.

Got my second set of Cooper ST MAXX in 285/75/16 on my Tundra and can't complain. Good wear, seems to be good grip on off road. Can't say too much about snow since I only see the stuff once every two or three years. I went with the ST Maxx due to the spacing between lugs and that they work well on pavement at the same time. It would be great if Expo could do another tire test like the one they did before. Expo Tire Test. This time include the ST Maxx.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk