Ford 250 v 350 payload and suspension quesitons

mikemcgl

I'm looking into getting a new Ford 250 or 350 srw 4x4, crew cab, diesel, short bed pick up and would like some opinions.
I'm told the only difference is a single leaf spring in the rear and the other differences are cosmetic.
I'm looking to use a slid in camper that weighs in at 4,000 pounds wet. Arctic Fox 811.
How much extra weight can i carry in the bed if I add air bags and upgraded shocks and use better tires?
Ideas and suggestions welcome and appreciated.

mikemcgl

Does that mean it will raise the payload from the 2500 pound recommendation to 5,000 pounds? Thanks Michael

MAD Duo

Observer
I have a 2005 F250 srw sb crew cab and an 811, from my last weigh in at the dump I was at 7960#, now minus about 300/400 pounds since I removed my Snugtop shell I conservatively guess my truck weights about 7660#. This includes after market rims and 285/75/17s on em. The weight sticker on my 811 states it's 3293#, I assume that's dry. So without any water, propane, or gear I'm already almost 2000# over the GVRW, which is 10,000#. So I would recommend the F350, for obvious reasons.

I installed airlift airbags and so far have not had any problems hauling it. Done plenty of mtn grades and forest roads with no problem, but I know I'm playing russian roulette. I have a F350 also, but its a long bed, so I'm kinda stuck. Learn from my mistake and just get the F350.:eek:ops

I inflate my airbags to 80 PSI and run 60 PSI in the tires when I do have it loaded. It handles fine, as fine as it will with an elephant on it's back!

I do love our 811, it's a great cabover thus far.

brussum

Adventurer
For what it's worth, I just checked the door sticker on my F350. The GVWR is 9900 lbs and I know from past experience that it weighs about 7800 lbs empty. I've had close to 3000 lbs of gravel in the back and never hit the rear bump stops. It definitely rides better with some weight to it. There may be some component differences between the F350 SRW and F250, but I always thought the big difference was an additional leaf spring or two in the back. Even my owners manual lists the F250/F350 (SRW) towing specs together...nothing really changes until you add the DRW with the heavier rear axle. Duallies are too wide for my taste, but they'll carry some weight.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
When I bought my '02 F350, the only difference was the 3.5" block in the rear vs. the 2" block of the F250 (for that era), but the big difference was the sticker that took the GVWR from 8800lbs on the 250 to 9900lbs for the 350. My 350 (cc, lwb, 4x4, psd) weighed 7800lbs empty.

I packed a Lance 1010 (10') camper on mine for over 50k miles. I used the airbags and never had a problem.

Get the F350.

Jack

greasyfingers

Through most model years the only differences between the 250 and 350 were different rear springs and blocks. The big difference in the sticker on the door jamb that says what you can legally tow/haul. Even if you upgrade your rear springs add air bags or whatever you are still limited to what that sticker says by law. Adding air bags DOES NOT increase your payload capacity! They only help make your rig more stable under heavy, near max loads by reducing swaying and keeping your ride height level. Like said before go with the F350 the price difference is very small $720. If you were to get into an accident and you're over your GVWR you might have a big mess on your hands. In a F250 CCSB 4x4 Diesel your max payload would be 3290lbs. Same truck but in a F350, your max payload would be 4000lbs. But you can't just go load 4000lbs and call it good. You have to take your GVWR and subtract the weight of the truck, family and dog, additional gear, tools, food, and fuel. What you have left over you can haul safely and legally. Don't take towing/hauling lightly, because if something goes wrong there are other lives at risk than your own. I will leave you with this
[video=youtube;rCfFbQpmqWk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rCfFbQpmqWk[/video]

brussum

Adventurer
Through most model years the only differences between the 250 and 350 were different rear springs and blocks. The big difference in the sticker on the door jamb that says what you can legally tow/haul. Even if you upgrade your rear springs add air bags or whatever you are still limited to what that sticker says by law.

Very true. I got pulled over in California once while pulling my horse trailer. The first thing the highway patrol officer did was to compare my GVWR/GCWR sticker to the max capacity of my trailer to see if I was possibly overweight. It's a pretty hefty fine, at a minimum.

My crime, by the way, was moving out of the far right lane to pass some slow-poke econo-box. It cost me about a $150 to the state coffers. I love my 7.3 PSD...it's never left me wanting for more power, even when pulling a 14K lbs trailer uphill on the interstate.

rxinhed

Dirt Guy
For you folks with these large, bulky campers: Ford has the F450 and F550 available with all the same elements as the F250/350 but more appropriate GVWs. They are not available as SRW; however, you can change that with Alcoa and other similar super single wheels. No air bags will be needed for the weight.

Just thinkin' :Wow1:

The 5,000# is extra payload. I have had over 3.5 ton of gravel in the back of my 04 350 with the bags at 100psi and had the loader op all confused wondering why the thing was still off the ground. But like was said they only help carry the wieght they don't raise the legal gross vehical weight it is allowed to carry. The rear axels are exactly the same 10.25 or 10.50 sterlings the diferance comes like was said with spring and blocks. I would most definitly go with the 350 though. But honestly if your not using this offroad I would go dually and probaly with the 450. Now also the gvw on the newer trucks srw 350's are 11-12k#. Mad duo what tires are you running at only 60 psi? I know my load range E tires where at 80psi. I prefer the stiffer ride much safer with that weight.

mikemcgl

Thanks again everyone for the feedback. I'll use the truck 46 or so weeks a year for non camper use, but when we do camp we normally trailer two heavy BMW 1200 GS Adventure motorcycles and generally go offroad or fire roads. The times we go without the bikes we go further offroad.
So having a nice "car like" ride for the 46 weeks a year is important.
Leaning towards Ford 350 cc, 4x4, lariat ultra package, air bags, upgraded shocks, Torklift StableLoads, with an Arctic Fox 811. The guys who I've spoken to say they are using 250s and not having any problems, so the 350 should be OK.
Once again, I'd love to hear from more AF 811 owners about their experiences and rig set ups.

Last edited:

wild1

Adventurer
The real issue with that heavy of a camper is the weight capacity of the rear tires. With out going to a 19.5 wheel you will at best be on the ragged edge. Blowing a rear tire at speed with a camper on is real exciting. Ask me how I know.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Assuming that a 250 and 350 have the same options, the only differences I've seen:

-F350 has a rear block 1.5" taller. I recommend upgrading to a F350 rear block, ubolts, and installing a 1" coil spring spacer if you want to have a tall truck without going as far as a lift kit.

-F350 often has hydroboost brakes, F250 has vacuum brakes. Hydroboost stops with less peddle effort, and is used on the diesels. The Vacuum boost feels nicer in parking lots though, as it deosn't run off of your powersteering pump. Both stop a trailer equally, just feels a little different.

-the weight ratings are a bit different, I have to pay more to put tags on a F350.

Does that slid in camper really weigh 4000 pounds? Isn't that a bit heavy? Usually you'll be fine as long as you don't pack a ton of gear into your camper. I've seen people carry a complete dinner set for 7 people, and TV, microwave, etc. etc. Avoid overdoing it and it'll carry alot better.

I allmost flipped a 1 ton E350 van on I75 in Florida. I wasn't towing anything, but had 2000 pounds cargo, maybe 3000. I heard my rear tire let loose and the truck fishtailed violently about a foot left then right taking me into the next lane over as I tried to maintain speed and control, I didn't dare hit the brakes. I coasted to a stop. I get out and notice that the wheel isn't on the ground. THE ^&*#$%$$ TIRE STILL HAD AIR IN IT! ALL OF IT, NOT EVEN LEAKING! The tire just lost it's tread, still had the mm of rubber over the belts. The other rear tire was fine! That should not have been so hard to control. I believe that the E350's soft suspension, fat extended length whale tail, and short wheel base, was a huge part of the problem.

Adding air bags is allways an excellent idea. Keep that load level. No need for a compressor and switch kit. I've seen some people just use tire valves on each bag. Then just fill the bags at the gas station until your level. Simple, easy, cheap. If I called the shots, all my trucks at work would have air bags to help stiffen the truck up when towing. Really feels better towing with plenty of spring.

Converting or trading up to a dually is allways a great idea with slide in campers. Tires are often the weak link. Haveing 4 tires in the back helps a ton. Just get a F350 DRW.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven