Ford F700 Build

hdemetrious

Adventurer
Time to put it all together. It looks like I'll be under 12'.

IMAG0603.jpg

Baloo

"The Bear Necessities"
Looks amazing! I am working on a way to get a sunfish sail boat on top my box. Not quite as cool as a plane.

hdemetrious

Adventurer
Sailboat

Thanks Dodger.

I'm thinking of taking this 18' sailboat with us on the trip and selling it before we enter Mexico. What do you guys think? Pros Cons?

IMAG0616.jpg

Baloo

"The Bear Necessities"
Great idea, I love sailing, great way to relax on the water. Not sure I would want to back that big truck down a boat ramp.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Nice dory hull? I like the lines and the cabin. Could strap the boat down and get bigger wheels and stay in the boat! If you're going to sell it, I'd be placing ads in CL along my route in Texas, you'll probably get a better price there than in FA. What do you want for it, might run down there! LOL

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
I think the boat is a great idea, IF you are planning to use it. Obviously towing will cost you in gas, so if you are going to use it then I say go for it. There is a photo on here someplace of an Expo truck that all it does is hold the boat, IE drive it right up into the truck frame. Then the boat is your living quarters on land, and can sail it.

In other words if you are going to do it, I say go for it, it sounds like a good idea. Why do you wish to sell it before you get to Mex? If you are going all the way down you could even put the truck on a ship and sail yourself across the gap. Someone above mentioned you can put on some truck tires (like F150 size) and pull that thing over a lot of terrain. It might be able to go with you.

Also I wanted to say that we used to have that same boat in blue (growing up) and I loved it. What a great platform for sailing. Not the best, perhaps, for an over-night trip, but still a lot of fun to get out and get going.

Oh and to answer someone about the big tow rig putting that into the water, nah it is not a problem at all. In fact it is actually easier to use a long truck. The steering corrections are easier to make because small corrections make less of a difference in a bigger truck like that. It would be just like using a dumptruck to haul a piece of equipment, which we did every day back in Aspen, even in the snow, and backing it up is not hard at all as long as you have a good set of mirrors on there.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
That would depend.

Does it need to be flexible? How exposed will it be to the elements (including the driving wind of traveling down the road)? etc...

How big of an area are you talking about here? What is the surface area you are starting with? IE if it is metal of some sort would you be able to just fill it in with weld?

Last edited:

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
My initial thought would be to just fill it up with aluminum weld. I guess if the skin is really thin that could be difficult, but it might be worth it.

If you are thinking about painting the truck you could use a layer of Bus-Kote on the entire truck. I believe they claim it goes on about 1/4 inch thick, and acts as an insulative layer as well. Well that would certainly fill small holes etc. Check it out here, it is pretty cool. From the website: Bus-Kote is a "...waterproof coating designed specifically for Buses and recreational vehicles."

Beyond that you could also use a silicone specifically made to adhere to aluminum and metal (they do exist, I know GE makes one, but I am sure there are others.) Of course this assumes that you can get into the area with some ease, and that the gaps are not very large.

westyss

Explorer
The biggest issue with aluminum is the temperature difference between two surface types and thicknesses, the two surfaces will expand and contract differently and aluminum does a good job of that so what you need is enough thickness in the compound to be used to allow the flex. The flex could be minimized by mechanical fasteners to a certain extent but it will still expand/contract.
I have had good luck with the Sika products, for adhering aluminum use the 251 product,if you look at the information on their web site it will give you an idea of the thickness needed between the two surfaces, for example, I used 2mm or around 1/8" for 1/4" aluminum to fiberglass.
As long as the two surfaces that you have are joined together well, sealing them with Sika 221 will work well, it has good flexibility and UV resistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater