Ford Transit Quigley vs Sprinter 4x4?

Petrolburner

Explorer
Just having power to the front wheels for sand and snow driving would seem to be enough to keep you moving the majority of the time. I'd evaluate the two vans based on their bodies and which one you liked better. Ecoboost Transit would be my choice if I had the cash. I don't, so I'm in an old wheelchair van with tall rear doors and 2WD.

KMG

Adventurer
The Nissan NVs are the Rodney Dangerfield of the van world. No respect at all.
I had a 2012 Tacoma Double cab long bed before I bought my van and I'd never go back. Wake up, open the bag chair, enjoy a good cup of coffee, put the bag chair away, and drive off. Done!
I also like the great legroom and frontal impact protection the engine forward design affords the NV. Plus it tows up to 9,000. Not for everyone but a tough combination to match. Just my opinion. You will enjoy what ever you choose.

Accrete

Explorer
The Nissan NVs are the Rodney Dangerfield of the van world. No respect at all...I also like the great legroom and frontal impact protection the engine forward design affords the NV.Not for everyone...enjoy what ever you choose.
Spot on on the Dangerfield comment. My wife would divorce me. Yup. said it.
Though I do like the engine forward.

I'll offer a couple of my thoughts, since I'm in the process of looking to make the same kind of switch that you are.

Currently in an F150 FX4 and looking for a van type option with full stand-up space that can haul cargo and serve as a more comfortable camping space than the short bed of my truck with a topper. I've looked at the Sprinters and Transit vans as well as older ambulances.

I am leaning away from the Sprinter for a few reasons. First and foremost, the 4x4 system on the Sprinter is limited to something like 35/65 torque split and there's no locker. Granted I've only used the locker on my truck a handful of times, but when I needed it, I was glad I had it. I drive in snow a lot. I'm not sure how much of a difference 35/65 vs. 50/50 would make, but I'm used to a true 4wd system and I drive in awful conditions frequently. Second, I'd prefer not to go with the diesel for reasons already mentioned. Third is the price, both of the purchase and of maintenance. I think the Ford would be the more economical choice.

That said, the Sprinter has some features that I really like. One is the option of the crew van set up, which has two rows of seats, just like my truck. You cannot get this option in the Ford. Also, the Sprinter can accommodate larger tires than the Transit. The Quigley prototype van is rocking 31" tires I believe but there is pretty much no room for chains and they said they had to do some mild trimming to fit them. I think the biggest you could go would be 29" or maybe 30" without any trimming on the Transit. I think the stock Sprinter tires are 29" maybe, and I'm thinking you could go to 31" or 32" with a lift, but I haven't done my research on that for the Sprinter.

As for the Transit, I like it for the EcoBoost engine, the cheaper price, the (supposedly) better handling, the option for dual sliding cargo doors, Sync3, and ease/cost of maintenance. I don't like the lack of a second row of seats as an option or the tiny wheel wells.

Check out QuadVan in addition to Quigley. They are also an official upfitter so you can have your van drop-shipped to them to do the conversion just like you could to Quigley. The difference is that QuadVan gives you the option of a 4" lift and they will also install a locking diff if you want and they will install an electronic transfer case with shift-on-the-fly capability (unlike Quigley). This is something that appeals to me, although I understand how Quigley's manual transfer case is appealing to others.

Maybe some of that helps, maybe none of it does, but as I'm looking into making the same switch, those are some issues that have come up for me in my search.

Yes, the MB system is lacking a locker but 4ETS simulates a locker is is super effective. Especially with low option. CNET did a review of this exact system from the one in Europe and they said the system pretty much went everywhere the G-Wagen went. http://www.cnet.com/pictures/mercedes-g-class-sprinter-4x4-unimog-zetros-off-road-test/

I'm in the exactly situation as the OP. I actually just sold my 2WD in search of a 4WD rig. The pros for me are that the Sprinter is just a better looking vehicle. The cockpit is also much more usable. I hated the seating area and dash of the Transit. It feels like a cramped car. It did however drove more like a car. Additionally the height of the Sprinter high-roof is just right. The medium roof transit is too low to stand in for anyone under 5' 6'' after a build. And the high roof is just way too tall. Next up is resale. If you plan to resale the factory setup from MB is going to carry is a good premium. Easily making your investment back. With the Transit, not sure you'll be able to recoup that 13K as easily. That eco-boost motor is magic though. I would go with Quadvan for the reason others have mentioned here. I also read that the 2in lift from Quigley doesn't provide any more clearance then stock. You are also super limited with tires with the Transit. The max you can go with a 4in lift from Quadvan is 245/75/16.

Decisions decisions.

Thanks for all of the input, guys.

I don't know the answer to the Sportsmobile 4x4 question. I had previously written off SMB only because after corresponding via email (I'm currently deployed) it sounded like their "basic" package involved a fair number of features that I don't want to pay for and lacked some things I did... and SMB will remove some but not all of these for credit (same for Outside Van). I didn't even think to ask about the 4x4 system alone. I'm looking for more of a gear hauler with some sleeping accommodation - probably a platform bed high enough to store bikes under - with some modular/removable accessories. This would be my DD, so I don't want any installed water systems, propane systems, etc that will add weight, permanently take up space and require additional maintenance. I think I'll end up adding things a la cart instead as I determine what I want rather than spending $25k up front for a "basic" SMB or OSV package that doesn't meet my needs. It's gonna be expensive either way.

I focused on Quigley because they seem to have a long/good reputation and their facility is only a few hours from where I live, but my boss is now telling me that I'll probably live on the west coast before this van comes off the production line, so I will check out Quadvan too.

Completely agree about the Sprinter Crew configuration. I really like the quick release bench seat and I'm surprised Ford doesn't offer it. I test drove the (2wd) Sprinter before I deployed and I was impressed overall with its road manners, headroom, etc, but concerned about what may be an overly complicated and expensive to maintain power plant. Look forward to checking out the EcoBoost Transit when I get home. Also, there is a question of value - I don't mind spending some money, but I'd like to compare what I'm getting for it.

I loved reading the Expeditions West Tacoma threads, btw. They were/are inspirational!

Keep us posted on your thinking and what you decide. I think a lot of people are in similar situations. Super helpful discussion.

Here is the Quadvan setup with 4in lift and max tire size 245/75/16. As you can see in the rear it's close to rubbing pretty good.

Sprinters can do 285/70/16 or 265/75/16 no problem. Or 235/80/16

DSCF1158_zpsi4pfsc7q.jpg

DSCF1160_zpsibjzq88m.jpg

DSCF1159_zps447xeexi.jpg

If you want more power on the Sprinter you can always drop in the Renntech ECU on the Sprinter. It's like having Ecoboost. I've read people on Sprinter-Source even get better gas mileage with a custom tune. :)

Stock Performance:
185 HP / 325 LB-FT

Modified Performance:
265 HP / 422 LB-FT

Gains:
+80 HP / +97 LB-FT

simple

Adventurer
Doesn't look like it would take much trimming to fit a larger tire in the rear of the Ford. The limiting factor on larger tires is usually the front tires hitting the firewall.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Doesn't look like it would take much trimming to fit a larger tire in the rear of the Ford. The limiting factor on larger tires is usually the front tires hitting the firewall.

On vans with slider doors the other problem is the slider hitting the tire when open. Can sometimes be fixed by modifying the arm on the slider track, but it's a pain...

mgmetalworks

Explorer
When I see pictures of 4x4 Transits, this is all I see...

I can't help it. Proportions are important to the look of the vehicle in my opinion. My brain can't get past the tiny tires. My own van has tiny tires and it drives me crazy. I can't wait to run them out and then step up to 35's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues