Freightliner ambulance conversion project.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Ouch is right. Do you have tow insurance? My mom got it for her motorhome and used it once. What the tow would have cost paid for something like 10 years of tow insurance. Its well worth it on bigger rigs like yours.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
No worries the tow was covered. Lucky it didn't happen in Baja. Now to start troubleshooting and hopefully eliminating the failure points. I am just thankful that it is not a ford van. I am way to fat and inflexible for working on then now.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
I hear you on the Ford vans, especially ambulances that have extra stuff on the dog house. I work on semi trucks and it seems like the older I get the lower the trucks get.:elkgrin:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I hear you on the Ford vans, especially ambulances that have extra stuff on the dog house. I work on semi trucks and it seems like the older I get the lower the trucks get.:elkgrin:

Bugger!!! Now you have let out the secret of why I lift all my trucks. :Wow1:

I can change the filters on the Freightliner in about 10 minutes if I am being careful about spilling the diesel. It takes me about 30 minutes just to get to the filter on the ford.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Its alive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like some maintenance induced failure. When we got the bad fuel I was all over the filters and around the fuel pump. Got the restriction in the tank cleared but it got what I thought was the same problem (same symptoms) after a few hundred miles. I tested the fuel lift pump pressure and volume. All appeared OK and then would just disappear. No engine codes??? :Wow1: Then I drained the main fuel tank (some foreign fluid but not much solid debris). Connected an auxiliary (boat) tank with new diesel and tested it out. No luck it would run for a few seconds then die. Started first time every time but would not continue running. Fuel pressure and flow good sometimes and then would drop!!!!!!!!!

So ordered a new lift pump (Raptor with 4 year warranty). And I have a spare MAP sensor in my kit. All arrived and when I went to disconnect the lift pump one wire broke in my hand. It was cracked within the insulation and breaking contact intermittently. Probably due to some ham fisted work on my part when changing filters etc. Cummins has a genuine replacement pigtail. Only $25 (thieving buggers).

Since I already had a new pump it went in anyway. Now it runs. So tomorrow is set the pressure, fill the main tank and take it for a test drive.

Thanks to Gerhard for giving me a helping hand (and parking some eye candy in my driveway).

Unimog.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Well another maintenance induced failure. Day before heading up toExpo and I decide to "fix" where they didn't bother attaching the wiring harness to the engine when it was changed. Now I have a truck that will not start. Main wiring harness looks like it may of been crushed when the installed the engine and me swinging on the wires to put them in the proper place has broken something. Guess what I am doing today/tonight.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
That's after fixing this little issue. Alternator mounting bolt trying to work its way out through the the belt. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431536475.444384.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Don't you love how a hard deadline like Expo gives you such quality time with your rig? :)
I just want to play with my toys....working on them is not near as much fun!!!

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all...
Nobody likes to come home on the hook :(

I did chuckle at the "maintenance induced failure" I'll tuck that one away for future use. If it ain't broken, fix it until it is!

I feel your pain, it's like they know you have a deadline to meet. I was moving back to the mainland after living in Hawaii for 4 years. Never had a serious mechanical issue in 4 years, but once my garage and tools were packed up and gone, I had 2 cantankerous vehicles that decided to develop issues. On the '66 MG the fuel pump died and brake hose started leaking. The '65 Scout developed a horrible case of death wobble. All I had was a 3/8" socket set, screwdrivers, and an adjustable wrench. I managed to get everything patched up and get on the boat, but it was a little stressful!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Well Expo went well. Had a bunch of folks attend the "Recycled Rigs" and "DIY" sessions we presented (1/2 hours notice for the DIY one :Wow1:). Many thanks to those that participated especially the hardy souls that withstood the rain, hail and snow for Fridays session. And also special thanks to the guys (and ladies) that helped run the sessions and opened their own vehicles up for display.

IMG_3115.jpg

Managed to raise the pucker factor on the way home by blowing a brake line. Had to overnight in Payson and replace it in the car park the next morning. The same numb nuts who damaged the wiring harness changing the engine managed to run a braided oil line for the transmission between the brake lines on the chassis. A receipt for disaster. But it has got the missus agreeing with my "need" (as opposed to my previous "want") for an exhaust brake. (exhaust brake to go with the air horns and then all I need is a CB to go and play Smokey and the Bandit :smiley_drive:) Luckily the Allison has lockup in the lower gears and I could lock it in 1st for some of the hairier descents.

But of more interest is that I got another trailer to tow behind it to carry the sidecar. The Kendon was/is a great trailer but trying to back it up sucked. By the time it appeared in the mirrors it was a second away from jackknifing. So I grabbed this.

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

The bed is 120" long and 84" wide. It also has a 40 gallon diesel tank underneath. The plan is to set this up to both carry the sidecar along with spare tires, fuel and probably as a base camp with water, grill, awning and maybe even a RTT for when we have motorcyclists along with us.

At 34" from the ground to the deck you could probably sleep underneath it as well.

Now to check with Hobitony and see if he wants to weld up the holes in the floor for me???

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
That is a strange but cool trailer...
Never seen anything like it but the "tatical" plate makes you Uber-Overlander Cool Guy....even Expo white to top things off.
The diesel tank on board is a hoot for long distance travel or switch it to gasoline so all the motos can stop by your little station.

Always looking forward to your fun and glad you survived the seat pucker event with no brakes...wow.
See ya at the next Expo gathering on the west side.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Does this make my bum look big. Or is it "Erector Set Booty"

A minor bit of bumper work, many swear words and the prototype is in place. Still needs some minor mods but hopefully it will be in place for our next trip

Yes I will level it up before final fitting.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442513321.570200.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442513405.128408.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Ouch. Low coolant alarm last week. Put in 1 gallon and it didn't hit the indicator. Found where the coolant is going. Into the transmission. Hope it hasn't wrecked anything in the Tranny. Luckily I happen to have a spare radiator in the shed.

This is the rag from when I checked the transmission fluid level. Way overfull.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450659002.306754.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven