Freightliner ambulance conversion project.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I didn't get the shift points done. Allison does "learn" your driving style so the shift point change is not really needed. You already have the choice of 2 shift patterns. When you get the wheels just try them both out and work out which is best for the different situations.

Hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about with these in Ambulance configuration and shed some light on which way the mode button works on the Ambulance calibrations.

Speedo should just be a setting from Freightliner. I have not done mine yet because I have not finished playing with my gear ratios and apart from the speed camera up the road from us (45 mph) I don't think I will be speeding anywhere anyway. The speedo has no effect on the shift points. The transmission gets all its input from the 3 speed sensors built in.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Interesting - my Mode button does nothing. I thought it was disabled. There's a lot to learn and each one seems to be set up differently. Your information is helpful, Oz. If the tranny is "smart" and learns, then perhaps the truck dealer is also "smart" - about taking my $$!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Yep throw the computer on and reset the quick adaptive flag and then drive it a few times. It will take longer to learn without that flag being set but it doesn't hurt anything. That will be $200 please. Oh would you prefer your shafting with or without the iron filings.

Mode button should change the shift points. Usually economy and haul ******** modes. Just run it up in each mode at the same temp over the same ground and check the RPM it shifts at. The one that shifts at lower RPM will be economy. Now I just need to follow my own advice and work out what is what on mine.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
This model Freighliner actually has the lift blocks as an optional part (front and rear). They put the little ones on for the little wheels (19.5") and when they went with the 22.5" you got the bigger blocks.

Hi Oz,

I know I'm reaching back early into your build thread here, but I'm actually re-reading a few of these stories to see what I missed the first time. And, I realize I forgot to ask you about this.

Do you have a diagram or part numbers for any of these stock lift parts? I've searched high and low... no joy. And the Freightliner parts guy didn't know anything about a 22.5-inch option.

I have a local place that can re-arch the springs. And, they can fab new U-bolts for the rear. But I might buy factory, if I can find the part numbers. And you know all the cool things!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I don't have the numbers and you need a VIN number for a truck that had one to find them in the Freightliner system. I found them at the truck wreckers. But having the springs re arched is the answer. You should be fine to put the tires on the front and drive it to the spring shop (I did). Even though the truck hasn't done that many miles now is a good time to renew the suspension rubbers.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
I don't have the numbers and you need a VIN number for a truck that had one to find them in the Freightliner system. I found them at the truck wreckers. But having the springs re arched is the answer. You should be fine to put the tires on the front and drive it to the spring shop (I did). Even though the truck hasn't done that many miles now is a good time to renew the suspension rubbers.

Thanks for the info. I'm good with the front end, as our local spring shop will re-arch them. And, you seem correct that the front end will accept the tires, at least momentarily. It's the rear that I'm worried about. When I'm back, I'll need to power it up and check things with the air suspension filled back up. It looks close, and I'm guessing I'll need the lift before I can drive it into town. My hope was to find and order factory U-bolts for the rear end, for when I put in the spacer. But, if I can't order them the spring shop can make them (like yours did).

And, yes, I'll replace the rubber components and, most likely, the rear airbags while we're at it. Thanks again!

rlrenz

Explorer
If there's anything you ned that's in the FL service manuals, let me know - I have the full set - all 12" or so of them.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
My hope was to find and order factory U-bolts for the rear end, for when I put in the spacer. But, if I can't order them the spring shop can make them (like yours did).

Much cheaper to have them made than pay the Freightliner prices at the stealership. Just remember to re-torque them after 50 miles and again after a couple of hundred miles. I also check mine every year no matter how far I travel. Things happen fast if they get too loose especially if running lift blocks.

Also be very particular to get the alignment of the flange/ujoint mounting face at as close to exactly the same angle as the input yoke on the diff. (for some reason there is a heap of people think you need to try to align the driveshaft and the diff to as close to a straight line as possible). Just give me a yell if you need clarification as to what I am talking about.

Also on mine I didn't worry about alignment of the axle via the panhard rod. By my calculation I need to drop the panhard rod mounting point on the chassis by about 2 1/2" (all I can go inside the chassis) and then lengthen the rod by 1/8". But it hasn't presented any problem yet and I haven't finished playing with axles etc so I am not wasting time or money on it.

For your use you could get away with shimming behind the panhard mount. Any heavy equipment alignment shop could do the job if you don't have suitable jacks and stands.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
This is great info and, since we have the same trucks, it sort of relates to your thread. But... I don't want to further hijack your build story. However, if you want to wander over to our thread, I have another question there. 😎

scooter421

Adventurer
Hi Oz, I apologize for hijacking your thread but I want to get the word out. I wanted to mention for those thinking about getting tires. I picked mine up last Friday and the guy at the tire shop said the US is increasing the Tariff's on tires coming in from China by 60%. So if anyone is on the fence in regards to "cheaper" tires it might be a good time to look into it or at least contact your intended tire supplier. I did look into the claim and found rumblings in the news specific to truck and bus tires but not specific on percentage of the tariff increase or when it would happen. Paying more than double what I paid for mine would have been a deal breaker for a long time!

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
No worries Scooter. That is good info. Tires for our size rigs are a big $ item and luckily you usually only get one chance in the trucks lifetime to buy a set. (Hard to wear a set out with private use). But the price difference between the Chinese ones and the others is currently significant and will pay the fuel for a lot of miles.

Truck is looking good with that rubber lift and I love your measuring stick .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven