Freightliner ambulance conversion project.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I got these from Fleet Pride and I think the brand was Checkpoint or something like that.

Wheel lug indicators.jpg

Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
RE: Ambulance air conditioning

I have a friend who has worked on many different makes of ambulance, and he told me that the only thing in common on ambulances, is that there's nothing common (unless it was required by KKK-1822). Every maker does things their own way, and every ambulance electrician also puts their own spin on things. When I asked him about heating and cooling systems, he said that nothing surprises him anymore. So, what I found out may or may not point others in the right direction.

But for what it's worth-

In my own case, when I picked up my ambulance at GEV and started home, I wasn't too happy with the AC, and the heater appeared to have a valve closed. They became a question for later. When later happened, I tried tracing out the heater lines, and found that it appeared that the cab heat looked like it was supplied by the module (the ambulance portion), which kinda made sense. Then, in a burst of intelligence, I remembered the switch on the dash panel that said "Heat - A/C". When I turned it on, I suddenly heard a pump running, and when I started the beast, I had heat. When I tried AC, I had much more AC, probably because the large under-body Hoseline condenser was now running.

Panel-c.jpg

I finally figured out that the module thermostat had to be set correctly for the cab to benefit - if the module's thermostat didn't call for heat or AC, the cab wouldn't get any heat or AC, but if the module was heating or cooling, then the cab benefited.

rlrenz

Explorer
RE: Ambulance air conditioning

I have a friend who has worked on many different makes of ambulance, and he told me that the only thing in common on ambulances, is that there's nothing common (unless it was required by KKK-1822). Every maker does things their own way, and every ambulance electrician also puts their own spin on things. When I asked him about heating and cooling systems, he said that nothing surprises him anymore. So, what I found out may or may not point others in the right direction.

But for what it's worth-

In my own case, when I picked up my ambulance at GEV and started home, I wasn't too happy with the AC, and the heater appeared to have a valve closed. They became a question for later. When later happened, I tried tracing out the heater lines, and found that it appeared that the cab heat looked like it was supplied by the module (the ambulance portion), which kinda made sense. Then, in a burst of intelligence, I remembered the switch on the dash panel that said "Heat - A/C". When I turned it on, I suddenly heard a pump running, and when I started the beast, I had heat. When I tried AC, I had much more AC, probably because the large under-body Hoseline condenser was now running.

View attachment 348625

I finally figured out that the module thermostat had to be set correctly for the cab to benefit - if the module's thermostat didn't call for heat or AC, the cab wouldn't get any heat or AC, but if the module was heating or cooling, then the cab benefited, and the cab heat/AC controls could be used to adjust the cab temperatures

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I lost a rear wheel due to loose studs, thankfully it was a dually and lost only one tire. The result was catastrophic, to the Hyundai it hit, thankfully no one was injured.

GET THESE or at a minimum take a sharpee and mark the studs along some reference point for visual inspection.

My Mog and some other Mil vehicles I've seen were marked with a paint pen. Actually a whole bunch of stuff, in different colors to indicate levels of importance. Wheel nuts had a dab of red on top the end of the nut up against the threads of the stub. Other things marked in yellow, mostly maintenance items I believe, such as lube points, and I think there might have been some orange even but don't remember what? Safety stuff maybe?

Anyway, a good idea that this thread reminded me of. I just have to figure out which method is cooler and more Expeditiony, bright pointy thingies or little blobs of colored paint everywhere. :)

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Now how's this for a little bike to putt around the campgrounds on.

34bdcb2228faac3766708c017cdc27f6.jpg

RiderBloke

Observer
Right brand, ex Police by the looks of it. I ride an F800GT (same brand). If I ever get an ambulance I hope to put it inside and pull my TT behind. But this looks like a good setup if the truck is your RV.

Sent from my iPhone somewhere on the face of the earth using Tapatalk

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Yep ex Austin police department R1200RTP. I also have a K1200LT but thought I might like an RT more. Didn't want to part with the LT until I knew an RT would suit my purpose and didn't want to part with $10K just to try an RT for a while to see if its what I want. So now this is my airport vehicle and run around (over 20 miles under which I use the sidecar or the TW200). Still not totally ready to sell the LT yet just in case the missus decides she wants to jump on the back again.

The truck is my RV and this hoist makes taking a bike along fairly trouble free. But depending on where we are going and if we have the grand daughter with us we will tow a trailer with the sidecar and use that for clover leaf touring. (i.e. use the truck as a base and do loop tours on the sidecar). I call it "carbon offsetting". 10 MPG in the truck and 40+ with the bike combinations. Only bugger is the extra TVIP and insurance for another vehicle when going to Mexico.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I just have to figure out which method is cooler and more Expeditiony, bright pointy thingies or little blobs of colored paint everywhere. :)

Obviously the most Expeditiony ones are the "Color Matched" bright pointy thingies. Cause that's what I use. :wings:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
It would probably be better for bragging rights it it wasn't loaded to take the truck to the transmission shop again. Warranty on a few oil leaks. ☹️

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Oz, our local truck service center (which has a good reputation) suggested that I bring our rig in after the tire change, so they can adjust the Allison shift settings. What are your thoughts? Did you alter shift points in yours and, also, did you have your speedometer recalibrated? I've read that adjusting the speedo may be as easy as changing some DIP switch settings, but that may be just in model years after ours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven