Freightliner ambulance conversion project.

rlrenz

Explorer
Since I now find myself with a few minutes spare I was checking out getting some stuff for other projects the truck needs. The standard FL cabs are noisy. But with a bit of google foo I found a company that sells precut and shaped kits for our trucks. Pricing is sort of ouch but considering the fact it is all there in one kit and no cutting it is probably not too bad. Seems like around $600 for the whole lot (hood, floor, roof, doors) with a bit extra for the firewall.

http://www.quietride.com/catalogpdfs/freightliner-truck-catalog.pdf

If I remember I will check with them following expo for pricing on the extra cab kit.

Very interesting. I generally don't even try to use the AM/FM/ CD ratio when I'm on the highway, but a kit like this might make it possible. I wonder how well the cowl portion of the kit will work with an ambulance, though -

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Very interesting. I generally don't even try to use the AM/FM/ CD ratio when I'm on the highway, but a kit like this might make it possible. I wonder how well the cowl portion of the kit will work with an ambulance, though -

I don't recall if it was yours or MNTAL's thread I posted about the radio. From the depths of my decrepit memory one of you guys posted about taking a radio to fit when they picked up the rig. My advice was don't bother take noise cancelling headphones instead.

But since I would like to be able to literally "work on the road" it would be nice to be able to do work or conference calls while driving. I can do it on the motorcycle so surely it should be achievable in the truck. If they can get anywhere near 10db I would be ecstatic.

rlrenz

Explorer
It was me. My son refused to drive back to MN without a radio/CD, so I shipped a new AM/FM/etc out to GEV, and they installed it as part of the package, complete with new speakers to replace the moldy-oldies that were in the cab, and a new Tram antenna for the Sirius radio. It was nice in town, but on the highway, it would have required headphones, and the radio wasn't set up for headphones. We used the radio in town, though.

Since then, I cancelled the Sirius subscription - I'm not driving it across the country right now, and Sirius runs into money. I might get one of those transportable Sirius packages - the kind where the radio connects to whatever radio it's close to - in the future, or move the Sirius radio to the module instead. I've also thought about installing radio speakers behind the driver's headrest. Right now, they're in the cab's front corners, and the distance doesn't help intelligibility.

I suppose soundproofing was never a big concern when these trucks rolled down the road with a siren screaming, but soundproofing is a great idea. Don't do what a couple of characters in Wisconsin did a few years ago -- they decided to build a heavy wrecker, using every piece of scrap iron that was in the pile. The truck was an ancient Mack that was barely diesel. They grafted an elderly MIL-surplus winch onto the rear rails and connected it to a PTO, then made a wrecker A frame out of more scrap. They didn't complicate their workmanship by grinding any cut edges. They set up some winching ground legs using hydraulic cylinders with about a 3" ram, and the ground pads had gobs of weld for traction. It had an air-ride seat, but no air to the seat. Paint was never considered. They wanted to quiet the pig down, so they spray foamed everything in sight - under the cab floor, under the cab roof (no headliner to get in the way), under the hood, and the front of the firewall. The bank wound up with the creature, and asked a friend of mine if he wanted to buy it for what they had in it - we saw the foam in the cab and under the dash, we opened the hood (it took both of us), saw the gobs of oil soaked foam, and turned the bank down. He wouldn't even offer them scrap price - he figured if he tried to cut it up, the foam would burn for days.

bobrenz

Observer
I know a few truckers who liked large, straight stacks - until they found that they were nearly deaf. Mufflers went on real fast.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Spot on shortbus4x4. They have tried reseting the adaptives but it doesn't seem to be taking. Maybe I need the cal codes off that neonatal unit that is heading to Flagstaff so I can get 6th gear.

Hi Oz. I'm not sure if you're joking, or if there's a way to pull the codes off mine. But, if you can you're welcome to go for it.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Actually if you look behind the panel in front of the passenger there is a TCM that lists the CAI (calibration code). The only 2 differences transmission wise is the 8.3 and air brakes v my 5.9 and hydraulic brakes. The brakes matter because of the ABS setting and the engine matters depending on the specifications for the input speed and torque converter ratings. But I figure yours would be as close as I would find around the place.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
At the transmission shop. Truck has the wiring harness out sitting on the bench getting a few new cables put in. Hopefully only another couple of hours.

Here is the culprit. Scored and cracked face.

cce104d1821ffc95aee279e912a9cfde.jpg

ac1c4c02226f6718be2de0273ed08954.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Supposed to be right to go. But I forgot I had taken the bike rack off. Luckily I rode the little bike over.

02f6d48106254c081f64cae90f9bd50d.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Defiantly expo bound and I will have the truck which was at risk for a while.

The fact that it is just up the road from us makes it a lot easier than those who travel considerable distances.

scooter421

Adventurer
That is awesome OZ, glad you got it fixed! I was hoping to make it to the Expo this year but I'm going to have to settle for camping instead. I've seen pictures of the mud at the Expo and without a good set of tires for traction and extra clearance I'm a little leery of testing my luck. Of course, there will be no mud this year and I would have been just fine. However, if I was to go there would be 3 days of rain and I would be the new guy that gets stuck up to the axle! Just my luck, I think they call it Karma?

I am still figuring out my trans temp also. It fluctuates between 180-210 and once it's warmed up pretty much stays around 200-210. I will need to pull the pan and change the filter before I get too far from home. I've changed the auxiliary filters and fluid but not the internal filter yet. Still saving my pennies and I should be getting my tires soon!

Have a great trip!

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Actually if you look behind the panel in front of the passenger there is a TCM that lists the CAI (calibration code). The only 2 differences transmission wise is the 8.3 and air brakes v my 5.9 and hydraulic brakes. The brakes matter because of the ABS setting and the engine matters depending on the specifications for the input speed and torque converter ratings. But I figure yours would be as close as I would find around the place.

I'll look in there tomorrow. If I can figure out how to get it open. 🙄

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
No rush. I am ok with a 5 speed until I swap out the axles. The truck is faster than the tires with only 1 overdrive at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven