Freightliner ambulance conversion project.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I just popped my hand up over the roofline and snapped this couple. Hopefully that will help you out otherwise I will be able to pair the truck with a ladder on the weekend.

4aaf5362daad01a768d97584303c0398.jpg

9efc4c6949fe101c275423ea9a30ff2a.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Just dropped the truck off to get 2 motorcycles worth of transmission work.

But they will have it done by the time I get back to town this weekend.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Here is another question that you may be able to answer since you just mounted a Fianna awning.

Let's say I find a used one that's 15' long and I need a 12' long one, can I cut it down to make it fit? Since they have the folding support arms that swing out when it's deploying, can that awning be shortened in length without damaging the mechanism inside? If so, would material need to be removed from each end, or could it be removed from one end only?

I found a used 21' Dometic A&E 8500 awning roller tube and arms, but no fabric. The 8500 is this style here (stock photo), with the roller that moves away from the vehicle as it deploys.

Dometic-auvents.jpg

These can be shortened simply by removing the cap and spring from one end and cutting the roller to the proper length, and then reassembling the cap and spring. Of course the fabric would need to be resized also.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
It may be possible to shorten the Fiamma ones but to what extent I could not say without running a tape measure over it. I would imagine that the 15' one would have the same arms as a 12' one. The interesting part would be how the work the arm extension to see if that can be shortened.

After running mine in and out a few times I think something like you posted would be better. When it is being deployed without the legs it's seems fragile. We will be putting a little bag awning on the side (Hannibal) for quick stops and more windy days as this one is just not what I was expecting. But I picked it up for $250 so it is worth having.

patoz

Expedition Leader
After reading more about the 8500 series, I believe you're right. The system it uses to extend and retract is very simple and the awning is supported much better when it's deployed.

8500-Torsion-Spring.gif

It's true, you do have the support arms/legs to deal with, but that also gives you the ability to dip one corner for drainage in heavy rain, it's much easier to drop completely down for cleaning on the top side, no motors, cranks or winding to deal with, just pull the strap to deploy and release the arm locks to retract. Plus, this is a very common awning and parts are everywhere.

This is the 21' I found...

01616_64MAYumQe15_600x450.jpg

The guy is asking $200.00 for the hardware, but it was posted 2.5 weeks ago, so I may be able to bargain with him a little bit also. If I cut this in just the right spot, I may be able to make one for the rear also. I would just have to pick up another set of arms, end caps, and fabric.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
This thread has been really helpful, and sparking lots of thoughts and plans. Thanks for paving the way.

Are your current beastly tires 11.00R20? I've read through the thread a few times and see that you changed tire sizes a couple of times. In response to your suggestion in our new thread, I've been looking at military surplus tires and wheels and I've found some Goodyear 11.00R20 G177 Unisteel at a reasonable price. If you got yours to fit, with the lift and some cutting, that gives me hope.

DzlToy

Explorer
There was a guy at OvEx AZ a few years ago who simply mounted a "Sunsetter" type retractable awning right to the side of his truck box, which I believe was an ambulance. He called the MFG and they told him it was rated for 80+ MPH when it was retracted, so as long as you don't drive faster than that, you should be OK.

IIRC, he purchased it used and was considering a Fiamma type awning, but ended up with a more stable and larger awning for less $$. It's been a few years, so the details are not quite crystal clear, but hopefully that helps.

If you are using Sikaflex 252 on a painted surface to bond the mounting brackets or housing, you need to REALLY rough up the paint or grind it off and clean the bare metal. A mate of mine did not follow the directions and bonded it right to the OEM painted exterior.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Are your current beastly tires 11R20.

My current set are 365/80R20 which equates to 14" wide and 43" tall. I did have the 11R20's on there and they had plenty of capacity but are narrower and the offsets didn't quite work as well for me. But remember I was battling the obscure 8 lug issue.

If you can find the 10 or 11 x 20 alloys in your stud pattern you could go with the 335/80R20 Continental MPT which are available commercially. Be careful of the speed rating of whatever tire you get. Most military type tires are below 70 mph. Also if you are doing a lot of road miles the MPT and ZXL type tires are bloody noisy.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Well that was a short trip. Got a call. TCM needs to be reflashed. Shifting hard and not adapting properly. So looks like Monday by midday. Lucky they ban swearing on this forum.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
A flash wouldn't hurt for the latest and greatest in Allison transmission control but it sounds as if the adaptives weren't reset, always have to do that on a new trans install or you get some weird shifts until the TCM has relearned the trans and your driving style.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Spot on shortbus4x4. They have tried reseting the adaptives but it doesn't seem to be taking. Maybe I need the cal codes off that neonatal unit that is heading to Flagstaff so I can get 6th gear.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Sound proofing

Since I now find myself with a few minutes spare I was checking out getting some stuff for other projects the truck needs. The standard FL cabs are noisy. But with a bit of google foo I found a company that sells precut and shaped kits for our trucks. Pricing is sort of ouch but considering the fact it is all there in one kit and no cutting it is probably not too bad. Seems like around $600 for the whole lot (hood, floor, roof, doors) with a bit extra for the firewall.

http://www.quietride.com/catalogpdfs/freightliner-truck-catalog.pdf

If I remember I will check with them following expo for pricing on the extra cab kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven