Freightliner ambulance conversion project.

rlrenz

Explorer
Oz, have you had a chance to try the Centramatic wheel balancers yet? I never heard of them until they popped up in your thread, but they sound very interesting.

Right now, I have beads in my tires, but I'm thinking that I might change to Centramatics on the front axle when I remount with the Alcoa wheels I got from MNtal.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I did try them out yesterday. Definitely didn't cause any problems (my first worry). I did not take any pre/post vibration measurements, just ran out of time. But seat of the pants I think it has smoothed the front end down. I can sit on 65 mph with just my fingertips on the steering wheel and not notice any vibration. That's with those fat pig tires with great hunks of rubber which in itself is pretty amazing. I got this set off ebay for a reasonable price to try them. But I will be talking to the guys at Centramatic when I finally settle on the axles/wheels combination.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Even though I have a hard deadline to start heading east I did some fancy work today. I like my bumpers black, don't know why but I just do. So this one being all desert sand color sort of stuck out. I had a dozen cans of the Plastidip stuff from when I was going to turn my shiny alloys black (noticing a pattern here).

Anyway a couple of hours work and I now have a black bumper, black grill and black headlight surrounds. The grill part worked out well as it now blends in more even though it is busted up in the middle where they fitted a set of flashers and the aux fan for the AC. Headlight surrounds were both sun beaten and cracked so no loss if it didn't turn out.

Anyway here are the pics.

f00dbe8e27bd88fb7c7acaa2a6737231.jpg

802cecd0822e8011482909a3760f55b7.jpg

fdc980342ab365040ca5ea55ab279de8.jpg

1st time I have ever used the plastidip stuff. Seems to cover fairly well and it didn't cost me anything extra (time or $) as it was sitting in the garage waiting to go off in the heat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven