Freightliner ambulance conversion project.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Mine is outside. Drivers side probably #2 at the top. Bottom of the cabinet is about 5' 9" off the ground.

f1442f62d89b4dc5f87b56119556748a.jpg

Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
I've seen that fairly often - probably a coin toss decision when the ambulance specs were written. There are arguments both ways - an outside access panel can be easier to work on, except the weatherstrip has to be in good shape to keep dust & water out. Mine swings down, so the cables are flexing (granted, they don't move that much that often), plus the panel pretty well blocks the door when it's open. On the other hand, it's a little easier when both the circuit breakers / relays and the lights and equipment can often be seen at the same time.

Either design uses similar quantities or wire and cable - mine in on the right side, yours is on the left side, but both are about the same distance from the front of the module.

Six of one; half a dozen of the other....

rlrenz

Explorer
Looking at the photo of the relay cabinet, your and my module were definitely built by the same people. we both have the same Wired-Rite relay panels, and the same separate fuse panel in the lower left corner. We both have a pair of diodes on heat sinks - one for the 12 volt receptacle in the action area, and one for the strip of ceiling lights that come on when the side door is opened.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
We are on our way. It's bumper pickup day.

Scooter and Ozrockrat's field trip to Flagstaff. Without adult supervision.

Stay tuned for teenager type book face and instant gram reports without the book face and instant gram.

patoz

Expedition Leader
We both have a pair of diodes on heat sinks - one for the 12 volt receptacle in the action area, and one for the strip of ceiling lights that come on when the side door is opened.

Just in case you guys are wondering why this 12VDC Receptacle is wired through a huge diode and nothing else 12V is, it's because this outlet is generally where the LifePak Defibrillator and/or the portable Suction Unit gets plugged in to charge. Since they both contain 12V rechargeable battery systems, the diode prevents back flow from the devices to the vehicle's electrical system when the engine is not running, preventing the devices from having a dead battery when they are needed.

As to why your ceiling lights would be wired through one, I have no idea. Mine is not like that as far as I can tell.

rlrenz

Explorer
The usual system is that a few ceiling lights comes on when the side door is opened. The diode is used to limit which lights come on. It could also be done with relays.

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
This is Oz's story, so I will let him tell it however he wants to embellish it. But, it was a good and successful day! Thanks for coming up the the (windy) cool country. 👍😎

rlrenz

Explorer
Medic Master uses yellow insulation on the ceiling light wiring, plus they label the wire about every foot. Look at the wires on the diodes to see what each diode is connected to.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
This is Oz's story, so I will let him tell it however he wants to embellish it. But, it was a good and successful day! Thanks for coming up the the (windy) cool country. ����

Embellish!! How dare you sire! Don't let anyone delude you into thinking I will let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Yes very successful and pleasant day. I worked out that there are places in AZ that don't roast your nuts every time you work on the truck. Very nice location, weather and hospitality.

Now for the truck part. Yes I have an MRAP bumper on my Ambo. Ross had the basic plates already cut out and drilled when we got there. Pull the rest of my bumper off and then mockup the new one. We were able to reuse a couple of the bracket, bit of drilling, bit of welding, lot of talking and looking at vehicles and we were done. I will add that most of the removal, drilling, welding and refitting was done by Scooter and Ross and I helped out by covering the talking side of things.

Photos to follow but the test run did reveal a little issue. Just had to reset the hood alignment and move the bumper out a little to clear the hood when it opens. But in all very successful.

Now for the results of Scooter and Oz's excellent adventure (or is it field trip in the short bus). AC sort of worked alright. I did have to turn it off a few times because it got too cold on the way up but it was early in the morning, no sun coming in and a reasonable temp outside. The trip back down the mountain got a bit warmer with the sun beating in through the windshield. Still needs more airflow inside. It is pathetic.

Cruise control worked fantastically. I may still play with the droop setting (the amount it can fall off the speed setting before it kicks down etc). But in general I think it will be a big help. Set it on 65 at 1900 RPM and it holds it well. Although the step between 3rd and 4th is too tall the truck handled the hills well. I do drop back to 45 mph on some of them but that is due to me not wanting to take it over 2500 RPM. It is willing to pull any of these hills in 3rd but when it pops into 4th it drops off the torque curve too quickly and starts hunting gears.

Centramatic balancers on the front wheels seemed to work well. Definitely didn't make things worse and I could just put my pinkies on the steering wheel at 65 without them shaking around. So I will class them as a success. Are they worth the $200 per axle?? Not sure! I got mine off ebay to try so didn't pay that much. But I will be talking to the guys at Centramatic to see about a set that sits closer to the center of the rim. They would go in the front wheels and the current ones would go at the back.

6 hours of talking trucks etc with Scooter on the road, 4 hours of talking/bumper install up the mountain, beautiful weather and scenery, couldn't ask for a better day.

Once again thanks guys for all the help. Remember the Camio del Diablo.

rlrenz

Explorer
The Freightliner heater blower always seems like it should have one more speed. Check the foam gasket between the duct and the cab vents to be sure they're making a tight connection.

guidolyons

Addicted to Gear Oil
We are on our way. It's bumper pickup day.

Scooter and Ozrockrat's field trip to Flagstaff. Without adult supervision.

Stay tuned for teenager type book face and instant gram reports without the book face and instant gram.

Scooter and OZ sharing pics of their trip :sombrero::elkgrin::smiley_drive:
673d775458e37da75b7f9808b8e5e350.jpg

Bumpers look good fellas. :clapping:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner