Freightliner ambulance conversion project.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
The guru has just left. :wings:

Cruise control is working. :smiley_drive:
Speed in both ECU and dash speedo are the same and correct.

But I chickened out on the HP upgrade. It is just too close to a major trip to be adding variables like that with no way to back it out except to pay a dealer to do it $$$$$$$$$$$

Now to just get the AC working enough to at least let us drive with the windows up. :sunny::campfire:

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Cruise control is working.
Speed in both ECU and dash speedo are the same and correct.

That's fantastic! Cruise control... now I won't have to hear about it again. :)

Seriously, though, where did you find this person and does he/she like the cool mountain air? And, another serious question... what's the consequence of not having the ECU read the speed right? I actually had never thought of that. We'll change the speedo DIP switches, as we're about 10 mph low indicated, but does the ECU really care? Teach me!

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
That's fantastic! Cruise control... now I won't have to hear about it again. :)

Seriously, though, where did you find this person and does he/she like the cool mountain air? And, another serious question... what's the consequence of not having the ECU read the speed right? I actually had never thought of that. We'll change the speedo DIP switches, as we're about 10 mph low indicated, but does the ECU really care? Teach me!

The only consequence of the ECU "speedo" not being set correctly is that the ECU will not accumulate the correct mileage. In our era engines it should not affect the fuel mapping but it may do. The main reason I wanted it correct was to use the Silver Leaf monitor for mileage MPG trips etc. And being a thrifty bugger (some would say tight) it was a 2 fer since the guy already had the computer hooked up playing with the cruise control.

Another interesting thing this engine had in the configuration was a top speed setting of 90 and the engine shutdown was disabled. If you guys ever get a service computer hooked to your machines get them to check all settings. I think as emergency vehicles they are set to drive them as hard as you like and don't save the machine at the risk of losing the patient.

I did drop the cruise top speed setting to 70 mph (was 90) as well. And I do now have the high idle that you had been boasting about.

One time when you are down in Phoenix with the truck we can organize the guru to massage it.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Congratulations!!!

Yeah thanks Bob. Your diagrams were invaluable and the tip about the bridged wire made recognition of the correct plug easy once I finally found where the sadistic bastards had hidden it.

I'm pretty chuffed but my right calf is happier I bet. I figure 4000 miles at least in the next 2 1/2 weeks makes the $210 it cost me a bargain. That works out to about $.05 per mile. And I get to stop Ross bragging about one bit of that PBS rig or his :) .

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Brown Santa arrived with some more goodies

b148fe250488cfbbd5709a5799c7a64c.jpg

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
I'm guessing the other box has the wheel balancers? He mentioned getting some and I'm curious to see the experience. We've got beads in ours now.

RiderBloke

Observer
I have so much to learn! Never heard of them, how do they work?

The motorcycle world also uses beads as I did in one bike. Dynabeads were the ones I had (http://www.innovativebalancing.com/motorcycle.htm).
On YouTube you will find some videos about it. They seem to work the opposite way to what you would think in theory. In a truck tyre you would need quite a few!

Sent from my iPhone somewhere on the face of the earth using Tapatalk

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
No approvals needed for the booster. It is nothing special but I will try to do some testing and put the results in here. But it will keep the missus happy (facebook everywhere) and I am never really on vacation so keeping in touch is important and allows me a lot more flexibility with travel.

The balancer's work by having beads in a solution in a ring tube. The beads go to the opposite point of the out of balance, sort of like doing a dynamic balance everytime you get above about 20 mph. Here is a link to a video that explains it. Personally I would of preferred to use normal balance beads but to do that with my tires I have to split the beadlocks to put them in and that is not a fun job. Plus no tire place will dynamically balance my wheels.

Link to balancer video

scooter421

Adventurer
A couple tire shops steered me away from the beads while other places like them. I chose to go without the beads. What are the wheel balancer things?

rossvtaylor

Adventurer
Don't rush in case they don't work for me. I am hoping/guessing that they will be OK but the proof will be in the vibration tests.

I'll be watching, too. Our ride is pretty darn smooth on the highway... until we hit some bumpy sections, then it almost seems like the balance disappears. Takes a while, then things smooth out. And, it might be... if the beads inside our tires are getting bounced, might that throw off their ability to self-distribute? Anyway... I'm open to other options and look forward to hearing your experience with the Centramatics. It looks like they're about $200/pair for our rigs. Worth it, if they work. And, we most likely need new shocks, too...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven