Fresh Charred Chili!

Camadile

Supporting Sponsor - Mojoe Outfitters
I made some chili last weekend that turned out amazing! I used fresh tomatoes, corn on the cob and fresh chilies/onions instead of the canned variety found in most chilies. The only canned items were the beans - black and kidney and a small can of chipoltle peppers in adobo sauce. I cooked it all on my Mojoe Griddle in the desert over a wash-tub fire pit!

Here are some of the fresh ingredients - two ears of corn, eight tomatoes and fresh black sage (from my yard):
IMG_0895.JPG

Then I started up the wash tub fire pit:
IMG_0888.JPG

Next, I roasted up the fresh corn on my Mojoe Griddle and then seared/roasted the fresh tomatoes on the Mojoe:
IMG_0893%2B%282%29.JPG

Close up - Charred tomatoes on the Mojoe:
IMG_0918.JPG

Throw the charred/seared tomatoes and corn in the chili pot:
IMG_0909.JPG

Time to sear in the juices of the tri-tip chunks on the Mojoe:
IMG_0899.JPG

Tri-tip goes into the pot - Mash it up!
IMG_0912.JPG

Now we char the veggies - Pascillas, red bells, onions and 2-3 jalapenos and the Mojoe Griddle becomes the stove for the chili pot:
IMG_0915.JPG

Add the beans, a few sage leaves, chopped up chipotle, a little cumin, some chili powder and let the pot bubble for a couple hours. Finished chili (before the two hours of simmering):
IMG_0934.JPG

Hope you try it!

Cam

Camadile

The Washtub fire pit that I just acquired is basically a porcelain wash tub from an old washing machine with three legs welded to the bottom. The legs are what makes the thing useable for cooking - they bring it up to the same height as a Weber. I got mine off of an ad on Craigslist made by some guy out in Fontana, $60. I'll bet there is someone doing this near most cities. I may end up having this guy make them for me to sell on my website. Its another perfect heat source for the Mojoe Griddle!

Cam

MojaveKJ

Adventurer
Thank you! Looks delicious and like a good communal dish.

Recipe printed and added to my camping cook book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Camadile

New Video: "Fresh seared Mojoe Chili" is Now Online

The recipe and photos of this delectable cook can be seen above in this thread but now I have uploaded the video that goes along with it to YouTube. Yes, it is a long video - over 18 minutes, but there are quite a few laughs sprinkled throughout! We had a great time cooking this chili using only a washtub firepit, my Mojoe Griddle and a pot - way out in an absolutely gorgeous desert landscape!

Here's the video:

Have fun watching it!

Cam

RagnarD

Adventurer
Looks good. I have a similar wash tub fire pit. It was a PITA to extract the tub from the washer.

I like the griddle on top, I might have to throw a plow disk on top of mine next time I have it fired up.

Wilbah

Adventurer
That chili looks GREAT! Charred vegetables are so great in any meal. Add so much flavor. Thanks! I will be making this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven