Fresh hot pizza!!

jimed43

Adventurer
Sure. Here are some old favorites:

Baked Brie - Wrapped wheel of brie cheese in pre-made puff pastry. Inside the pastry, we often wrap the brie with prosciutto ham and sliced figs. Bake until golden brown.

Baked Tamale - Spread about 1/2" of masa (mixed with water to tamale paste) in the bottom of the pan. On that, layer black beans, cheese, and anything else Mexicana you can find. Bake for about 15 minutes. Top with pico, guac and sour cream.

Baked Ziti - This is as lazy as it gets. Take your favorite pasta dish, make it at home and put it in any container. Once at camp, plop it in the oven, dress the top with your favortive cheese and bake away. This is a quickie.

Baked Zucchini - Line the bottom of the pan with thick slices of zucchini. Top the zucchini with small sliced of parma ham, proscuitto or something similar. Top this with a mixture of panko crumbs mixed with a little butter. Add a small amount of cream to the pan (about 1/4 cup). Season with your favorite herbs, we use Herbs de Provence. Bake until golden brown and the zukes are tender. Basically a zucchini au gratin dish.

Sheperd's Pie - Normally, I think this dish is pure poison. How ever, we've managed to make it pretty yummy. We make the "stew" of this pie at home (with a Guiness base), store it in a food-saver bag and just dump it in the pan at camp. We add instant mashed potatoes to the top, brush with butter and bake. Another lazy dish we usually save for the first night out. You can also turn this into an awesome pot pie by using a phyllo pastry as the topper instead of the mashed potatoes.

These are just some of the savory dishes we do. We do tons of breakfast and dessert dishes. I'm a big fan of breakfast frittatas because they're way easier than most egg dishes to prepare and clean.

Saving these to evernote.....

Thanks Flounder

ccarm

Adventurer
In scouts we would use crescent rolls for the dough, and make a deep dish pizza in a dutch oven, but I'll have to try out the outback oven. Clever with the mozzarella cheese sticks.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Over the past day or so I have been checking out your blog again. Somewhere, either there or here, I saw you made some pizza on the grill. I think I figured it out, are those freezer pizzas?

Also, what kind of grill is that under them and what is the set up/break down time frame?

Thanks for checking out the blog, we appreciate it.

You guessed it, just frozen pizza's. Nothing special, but when you're in the middle of no where they aren't half bad. The grill is just a notebook grill. The setup and break down is almost zilch. Just pops open, only drawback is that it does not have a lid so it can be harder to cook the top of the food evenly if you can't flip it (like pizza).

KG6BWS

Explorer
FROZEN! Shame on you! :eek:

I'll have to bring some of my home made pizza sauce next time and do some pizzas in the dutch oven! :chef:

Hey now Brent!!! Utilizing my propane grill, my hotel room fare at my last job consisted of frozen pizzas, hot dogs and sausages on a regular basis. Whole lot cheaper than eating out every day for 5 months!!!

Frozen pizza, propane grill on LOW for about 10 minutes, let it sit for another 10 or so minutes and BAM...dinner is served.:chef:

KG6BWS

Explorer
Thanks for checking out the blog, we appreciate it.

You guessed it, just frozen pizza's. Nothing special, but when you're in the middle of no where they aren't half bad. The grill is just a notebook grill. The setup and break down is almost zilch. Just pops open, only drawback is that it does not have a lid so it can be harder to cook the top of the food evenly if you can't flip it (like pizza).

I forget which trip but didnt I make frozen pizzas for lunch one time?? Cant remember.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Quite possibly, i don't remember Justin. This particular photo was taken at Calico, the same trip you winched out that stuck sportscar.

KG6BWS

Explorer
Quite possibly, i don't remember Justin. This particular photo was taken at Calico, the same trip you winched out that stuck sportscar.

LOL!!! That was pretty funny.

yeah, I remember that. You guys did the pizzas the night before I came up.

jimed43

Adventurer
I have also seen a video somewhere, of taking a frozen pizza and folding it in half, then cooking it in the pie irons. To make a pizza sanwhich. I want to try that.

craig333

Expedition Leader
I use english muffins fried in bit of butter. Marinara sauce from a can. Pre shredded mozzarella. Pepperoni cooked just enough to get most of the oil off it. Toss it in a frying pan on low heat, cover and cook until the cheese is melted. Can be dinner or appetizers.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Dutch Oven is the way to go.

Pillsbury makes a fresh crust. Top it with a little sauce, cheese, and whatever.
Preheat the oven for a bit with with some butter or goo of your liking, spread out the dough, top it, and set it to bake.
I use 9-10 briquettes under and 15-18 on top --- depends on ambient temps.
Turn the bottom part 1/8 clockwise and the top 1/8 turn anti-clockwise every 5-8 minutes 'til done.
Yum.

Example pics taken on different trips:

CountryFriedWeekend2011106.jpg

060-1.jpg

061.jpg

jimed43

Adventurer
That looks awesome!

Dutch Oven is the way to go.

Pillsbury makes a fresh crust. Top it with a little sauce, cheese, and whatever.
Preheat the oven for a bit with with some butter or goo of your liking, spread out the dough, top it, and set it to bake.
I use 9-10 briquettes under and 15-18 on top --- depends on ambient temps.
Turn the bottom part 1/8 clockwise and the top 1/8 turn anti-clockwise every 5-8 minutes 'til done.
Yum.

Example pics taken on different trips:

CountryFriedWeekend2011106.jpg

060-1.jpg

061.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat