From a well built Tacoma to a stock Tundra

Paddy

Adventurer
My impression before buying the Tacoma was that it's a truck that looks like a car, but after owning one I realized it's a car that looks like a truck. It was gutless, very uncomfortable to drive, poor mpg, and components were weak. Cost me 10,000$ in mods and upgrades that ultimately didn't make it any more of a truck than it was. The final straw was when I hit a pothole and bumped the alignment out AGAIN. If it's a truck you need, don't get a taco. If it's an SUV you need, buy an SUV. Lots of people that love Tacoma drive them like cars sometimes never even using the bed or using it once a year for a dirt bike or helping a friend move. Well, then they are great I guess. Great engines and reliability, I guess. My ford diesel has 335k on it and does everything the Tacoma did and more, a lot more.
Anyway I'm in the minority so all you taco owners, keep enjoying them. For me I'd consider a tundra but never another taco.

Clutch

<---Pass
My impression before buying the Tacoma was that it's a truck that looks like a car, but after owning one I realized it's a car that looks like a truck. It was gutless, very uncomfortable to drive, poor mpg, and components were weak. Cost me 10,000$ in mods and upgrades that ultimately didn't make it any more of a truck than it was. The final straw was when I hit a pothole and bumped the alignment out AGAIN. If it's a truck you need, don't get a taco. If it's an SUV you need, buy an SUV. Lots of people that love Tacoma drive them like cars sometimes never even using the bed or using it once a year for a dirt bike or helping a friend move. Well, then they are great I guess. Great engines and reliability, I guess. My ford diesel has 335k on it and does everything the Tacoma did and more, a lot more.
Anyway I'm in the minority so all you taco owners, keep enjoying them. For me I'd consider a tundra but never another taco.

Yep...different strokes for different folks. I actually down graded to the Toyotas from F250-350's when I quit working construction, simply don't need that much truck right now. Maybe when I retire...might move back up to a 3/4-1 ton again, or a van.... might even just get a full on RV by then, who fricken knows...have 20 years to think about it....10, if I play my cards right. :D

Those Tundras are nice, heard they give you a new one if you run your old one up to a million miles. :D

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/05/16/toyota-tundra-million-mile-official/

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable

I can partly relate. I test drove a new Tacoma and put a deposit down on one about 6 months back. After I really had time to think about it I canceled the order. I ended up ordering a F-350 crew cab, should be here in a few weeks. If you don't need a full-size truck then a Tacoma is nice, but I thought it would be dumb for me to keep 2 daily drivers.

p nut

butter
...P nut
You are in a good state to be in for back country travel, as is Clutch and myself too. I spent 10 days in Moab last summer and loved it. I will be back. It is good to hear that we are all getting a lot of snow fall. It might keep us out of the mountains for a bit longer but the precip is needed and appreciated.
Mikey

Moab is nice, but I much prefer San Rafael Swells. Mostly because I enjoy the solitude. Last year when we were down there, I think we saw 3 people total. Lots of places to explore, awesome camp sites, hiking, etc. I'm fortunate to live so close. I'm sure you've got lots of places like that where you're at as well.
_
Regarding the Tacoma, I don't have one, but they're good trucks. I'm not sure why Paddy's so disappointed, but let's first clarify that Toyota never marketed the Tacoma as a HD truck. It's a "lifestyle" truck. Driving to the beach, crawling up rocks, home depot runs, etc. Was there ever an emphasis on its towing capacity or payload? It's a great truck for its intended purpose, which it does exceptionally well. You can't blame the truck and call it a POS, just because it doesn't fit your needs.

Clutch

<---Pass
Moab is nice, but I much prefer San Rafael Swells. Mostly because I enjoy the solitude. Last year when we were down there, I think we saw 3 people total. Lots of places to explore, awesome camp sites, hiking, etc. I'm fortunate to live so close. I'm sure you've got lots of places like that where you're at as well.
_
Regarding the Tacoma, I don't have one, but they're good trucks. I'm not sure why Paddy's so disappointed, but let's first clarify that Toyota never marketed the Tacoma as a HD truck. It's a "lifestyle" truck. Driving to the beach, crawling up rocks, home depot runs, etc. Was there ever an emphasis on its towing capacity or payload? It's a great truck for its intended purpose, which it does exceptionally well. You can't blame the truck and call it a POS, just because it doesn't fit your needs.

I started buying Toyota trucks, because they were car like....after operating heavy equipment all day, want something small and nimble for a daily. At the time (25 years ago, already!??) the Toyota fetched 20+ mpg's, and my F250 got 8. Fullsize trucks sure have caught up in the mileage department. However I haven't had a vehicle payment in 20 years...as much as I look...really don't want to spend the money on a new(er) truck. Even though they are better than my Tacoma.

Think when guys overload them, is when they get unhappy with them. Keep 'em light, and they are find. About 2 weeks out of the year I "need" a fullsize truck...can't justify the expense for the other 50 weeks.

I augment mine with a trailer...so don't feel I never have enough space to carry stuff.

You know, they make e-fat bikes, too!
_
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmG7dpgd_pY
_
Speaking of fat tires, I've been on the hunt for a TW200 for a while. Just waiting for the right one to pop up. It's slow enough I won't get in too much trouble. And it's cheap. Right up my alley.

Those are sweet!

---

I have tried to talk the better half into a TW200...but she is dead set on 2-Strokes. Saving my pennies to buy a Beta XTrainer for her.

http://www.betausa.com/content/beta-xtrainer

p nut

butter
I started buying Toyota trucks, because they were car like....after operating heavy equipment all day, want something small and nimble for a daily. At the time (25 years ago, already!??) the Toyota fetched 20+ mpg's, and my F250 got 8. Fullsize trucks sure have caught up in the mileage department. However I haven't had a vehicle payment in 20 years...as much as I look...really don't want to spend the money on a new(er) truck. Even though they are better than my Tacoma.

Think when guys overload them, is when they get unhappy with them. Keep 'em light, and they are find. About 2 weeks out of the year I "need" a fullsize truck...can't justify the expense for the other 50 weeks.

I augment mine with a trailer...so don't feel I never have enough space to carry stuff.

Truck + Trailer seem to be the ultimate set up. So versatile, and addresses the payload issue as well. If I had a trailer, I may even be happy with something like a 4Runner as well.
_
Yeah, money spent on my truck....it gets to me at times. Before this truck, I hadn't had a car payment in many years. Only way I can justify it is, it's safer for the kids and they're more apt to come on trips with me. That's priceless. :D

Clutch

<---Pass
Truck + Trailer seem to be the ultimate set up. So versatile, and addresses the payload issue as well. If I had a trailer, I may even be happy with something like a 4Runner as well.

We have an Isuzu Trooper as well, unfortunately it isn't 4WD, but only really need to trailer to trailheads. Hey, whatever works, right? ;)

It is like having a fullsize 8' truck bed, without having a fullsize truck...no wheel wells to deal with either. The bikes practically load themselves. Don't have to kill myself trying to get them into a high truck bed. I don't know what Paddy was saying, haul a dirt bike once a year!!?? during riding season I am out 1-2 times a week, do 3-4 day weekends tossed in there too.

1382176_10153107721999630_3618845066935930356_n.jpg

Riding season is going to have a late start this year...this time last year I was out there....this area is under about 15"+ of snow right now...imagine the peaks are under several several feet of snow

Another reason we moved to Idaho, takes me 25 minutes to get to this Northend of this riding area. :D

Desert to Alpine trails all in one area.

12592672_10153944917504630_5775284104674502092_n.jpg 12631424_10153944917644630_1997066151186056220_n.jpg

12647364_10153944917884630_7163780353628957230_n.jpg 12654665_10153962914834630_6589831964399596557_n.jpg

13325611_10154285028069630_4660909721598877374_n.jpg 13221505_10154265899889630_5452726774973351581_n.jpg

_
Yeah, money spent on my truck....it gets to me at times. Before this truck, I hadn't had a car payment in many years. Only way I can justify it is, it's safer for the kids and they're more apt to come on trips with me. That's priceless. :D

If we had kids, would definitely have a new vehicle...however... :D

Not single, but you get the point. ;)

someone-loves-you-drive-with-care-racine-im-single-nobody-2298111.jpg

...doesn't keep me from looking, I keep on seeing Chevy Colorados everywhere now, probably because I want one. (next week it will be something else) ;)

Last edited:

p nut

butter
I agree with you--I think people use the truck bed plenty. Even avg joe like me. Although I'm not dropping 2 tons of cinder blocks, or throwing sharp tool boxes at my aluminum bed every day, at least every weekend, it's filled with bikes, sleds, wood (bob fires up the canyon), etc. All it is is a maintenance free, extra large car trunk.

Eh, I'd hold off on the Colorado's. Nice trucks. But wait to see what Ford brings with the Ranger. Then we can beat that horse to death many-a-times over and end back up here.

mkitchen

Explorer
So far most of my trips have been from my driveway, but with the new camptrailer, I am looking forward to spending time in the comfort of the tent trailer while riding or 4 wheeling in new areas. With Mo and I both using CPAP's, we can no longer tent but we are getting by. Regardless, I don't think I could get along without a pickup. I also have a small flat bed like yours Clutch, that I can tow behind Reuben or the Tundra.
Mikey

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater