Front bumper build. Step by step guide...

boo471

Adventurer
Hoops added

I did some work on the bumper yesterday. I was mainly focusing at getting the hoops mounted and starting to look at the internal reinforcements of the bumper.
I wasn't sure about using hoops at first but once I got them on i was very happy with it and thought it look pretty cool actually. It kind of makes the bumper a lot more aggressive.

Added the main center hoop to the bumper. It has about 30 degrees lean forward and is wide enough to house my 2 9" HIDs.
DSCF2759_zps51f41048.jpg

DSCF2760_zps1e86784f.jpg

After that I started to play around with the head light hoops. Trying to find a good balance of protection and lean inboards/down to get that aggressive look. Once I had them where I wanted then I started doing the notching, by hand of course :)
DSCF2761_zpsedee50b4.jpg

DSCF2762_zps7e2382aa.jpg

DSCF2763_zps09b80093.jpg

DSCF2764_zpsdc3b5189.jpg

I welded on tabs for my lights and test fitted them. Looks like one damn aggressive Baja racer in the front now
DSCF2765_zps7430ddf2.jpg

DSCF2767_zps1c21804c.jpg

I also welded on some grid plating(or what ever you call it in English) to cover the vent holes so no big rock and other crap will fly in and hit my radiator.
DSCF2768_zpsba7ffdae.jpg

Here is my "winch" in its position so I can start looking at a winch mounting plate and where to mount a cross member. I noticed that I wasn't able to move it as far to the side as I want to after I rounded the edges so the fairlead might not get perfectly centered.
DSCF2769_zpsdc880f87.jpg

This Is what it looked like at the end of the evening.
DSCF2770_zps67a42742.jpg

DSCF2771_zps038e5efd.jpg

I hope I will be able to build some this weekend and hopefully get the reinforcements done so I can start welding everything and get this sucker done soon. I have a busted shoulder and spending this many hours every other evening building a heavy bumper like this is not really helping out :)

Last edited:

java

Expedition Leader
Looking Great! but can you put the light tabs on the inside? I know those lights are really deep.

I have the 7" version, you will be happy, they are bright.

boo471

Adventurer
Looking Great! but can you put the light tabs on the inside? I know those lights are really deep.

I have the 7" version, you will be happy, they are bright.

That was my plan but then I cant open/close the hood. :(

Yeah I tried them on the back yard and they throw out some serious light.

java

Expedition Leader
That was my plan but then I cant open/close the hood. :(

Yeah I tried them on the back yard and they throw out some serious light.

Yeah I was having the same issue. I was able to turn the mount 90 degrees and have the tabs vertically. Might be an option, but mine still just touch the hood when opening.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Looks great dude! Having just built a rear swing-out bumper by hand using fluxcore, I can totally relate to what you have been up to, however your design is way more ambitious. Looking forward to seeing the finished results.

boo471

Adventurer
Looks great dude! Having just built a rear swing-out bumper by hand using fluxcore, I can totally relate to what you have been up to, however your design is way more ambitious. Looking forward to seeing the finished results.

Thanks. Well if your going to do it. Do it dirty. Flux core is a little ruff but it works.

Nice bumper build by the way. Looked really good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Coming along just gravy buddy. That grid stuff is typically called "expanded metal".

I like the lights and I don't see any cooling issues with them like that. kudos

I did some work on the bumper yesterday. I was mainly focusing at getting the hoops mounted and starting to look at the internal reinforcements of the bumper.
I wasn't sure about using hoops at first but once I got them on i was very happy with it and thought it look pretty cool actually. It kind of makes the bumper a lot more aggressive.

Added the main center hoop to the bumper. It has about 30 degrees lean forward and is wide enough to house my 2 9" HIDs.
DSCF2759_zps51f41048.jpg

DSCF2760_zps1e86784f.jpg

After that I started to play around with the head light hoops. Trying to find a good balance of protection and lean inboards/down to get that aggressive look. Once I had them where I wanted then I started doing the notching, by hand of course :)
DSCF2761_zpsedee50b4.jpg

DSCF2762_zps7e2382aa.jpg

DSCF2763_zps09b80093.jpg

DSCF2764_zpsdc3b5189.jpg

I welded on tabs for my lights and test fitted them. Looks like one damn aggressive Baja racer in the front now
DSCF2765_zps7430ddf2.jpg

DSCF2767_zps1c21804c.jpg

I also welded on some grid plating(or what ever you call it in English) to cover the vent holes so no big rock and other crap will fly in and hit my radiator.
DSCF2768_zpsba7ffdae.jpg

Here is my "winch" in its position so I can start looking at a winch mounting plate and where to mount a cross member. I noticed that I wasn't able to move it as far to the side as I want to after I rounded the edges so the fairlead might not get perfectly centered.
DSCF2769_zpsdc880f87.jpg

This Is what it looked like at the end of the evening.
DSCF2770_zps67a42742.jpg

DSCF2771_zps038e5efd.jpg

I hope I will be able to build some this weekend and hopefully get the reinforcements done so I can start welding everything and get this sucker done soon. I have a busted shoulder and spending this many hours every other evening building a heavy bumper like this is not really helping out :)

boo471

Adventurer
Front bumper build continues...

This weekend was spent working on the bumper. There was a lot of progress on it. I added the reinforcements needed. I also added a cross member, Winch plate and boxed in the area holding the winch plate and mounting plate.

I also welded all the welds on the entire bumper. Full welds on the outside of the bumper and seems on the inside since I will smooth out the outside of the bumper and remove some material I wanted more welds on the inside as well.

Surprisingly there was very little warping. This is a benefit with using smaller pieces and lots of triangles in your design. It makes it VERY strong.

I started with adding reinforcement plates to the "wings"
DSCF2772_zpse109b7c0.jpg

Good penetration for a cheap welder and using no gas.
DSCF2776_zps8c4dde26.jpg

Then I added the cross member and started working on the boxed in section which will strengthen up the entire area around the mounting plate and winch plate.

Prepped with welds before adding parts (I wont be able to weld here after adding the parts boxing in this area.
DSCF2773_zpsda296a6a.jpg

Started boxing in
DSCF2774_zpsb54a0613.jpg

DSCF2775_zps5dc37f43.jpg

Added the winch plate. In the end I did 3 runs on all welds holding the winch plate.
DSCF2778_zps84404045.jpg

Continued boxing in
DSCF2780_zps762bf777.jpg

DSCF2782_zpsa470502e.jpg

Then I started welding all the welds on the outside. Started with the tubes.
DSCF2781_zpsa4877fe9.jpg

DSCF2783_zps9215f0c0.jpg

and then just work my way from side to side to keep the warping in check. You have to be careful about where to weld here to not get a completely crooked bumper.
DSCF2784_zpsc9138e78.jpg

DSCF2785_zps49a3143c.jpg

At the end of the weekend it looked something like this. It took my about 5hrs to weld everything.
DSCF2786_zps160841a5.jpg

DSCF2788_zps4b2bd0f0.jpg

I added another tab as you can see on the passenger side tube. This will hold my CB antenna.
DSCF2787_zps38b60a4a.jpg

Now I have a a few fun hours of grinding to do to make the outside of the bumper smooth and seamless.

To be continued.

boo471

Adventurer
Coming along just gravy buddy. That grid stuff is typically called "expanded metal".

I like the lights and I don't see any cooling issues with them like that. kudos

Expanded metal. Ok good to know. Being a Swede some of the English words don't come natural to you. I dont think I even know what this is called in Swedish :)

Yeah I think I will be good with the lights. Probably no problems there.

//Marten

fireball

Explorer
Wow! Very nice. Seeing the step by step process really makes you appreciate all the time and effort required. And makes the high price tag of arb tjm etc seem a bit more reasonable!

boo471

Adventurer
Wow! Very nice. Seeing the step by step process really makes you appreciate all the time and effort required. And makes the high price tag of arb tjm etc seem a bit more reasonable!

Thanks! Well most of the manufacturers will use laser/water cutting. Jigs and might even use robots to weld. So that will will lower the cost for manpower massively.

I only have a few hundred in materials in it but I have a lot of hours in it.

If I did a second one it will probably be a lot shorter since I have kept all the templates. And now know the design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC