FSJ who has them

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
CF... that is freakin' AWESOME! Thanks for the vids! Looks like you need a front (selectable) locker and maybe a provision for a parking brake? :O

gas4blood

Observer
I cant believe I haven't posted in this thread yet. Its been a while since I have been on here.

Here is my 1979 Wagoneer

Stock 360 v-8 with 90,000 miles
Custom exhaust
TH400 with dual tranny coolers
Quadra-trac with part time conversion
Warn locking hubs
Dana 44's front and rear
Thick gear TJ 4.11's
Rear SPARTAN locker
35" KM2's
Slight trimming
Roller fender lips
SURCO safari rack
Home built rear bumper with swing out tire carrier
YAESU FT2800M
Vintage AM/FM/CB
Lots of other stuff I am sure that I am forgetting.

I will be starting a thread soon about the journey that has brought this Jeep to this point and where it is going in the future.

538961_10151074304212842_1910184504_n.jpg
IMG_0536.jpg

Last edited:

Blinkinlights

Love the old FSJ's. Started with an old 1987 Grand Wagoneer and have since had a 1997 Land Cruiser 100 and now a 2006 Range Rover HSE but I'm thinking of turning the old Waggy into an Expedition vehicle.
Specs:
1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
360/727/208/Dana44/Dana44/3.31's
Aussie lockers front and rear
BJ's 6" lift kit, Front and rear Dozer bumpers
Mile Marker 10500 Hydraulic Winch
Mile Marker Locking Hubs
Moved axles 11" further apart
35x14.5x15 Boggers on 15x10 Wheels

01230016.jpg

171af3dd.jpg

IMG_9440.jpg

IMG_97911.jpg

IMG_2833.jpg

IMG_2892.jpg

Blinkinlights

Thanks. As a trail machine where we have a lot of deep mud holes, it's about perfect right now. The 33x12.5x15 Mud Terrains I had on it originally just didn't provide enough flotation for such a heavy vehicle so it would sink into the mud. These 35x14.5x15 Boggers are just perfect and it pretty well goes where I want it to without any problems.

So naturally, a lot of the people in the club are getting older, myself included, and the travel bug is getting worse so it's just about time to start making the changes to more of an expedition vehicle. The Boggers will go, and I might go with a 5.3 drivetrain or better yet, 4BT, and then rig it for overland trips.

Right now it's pretty purpose built so it's not a pretty as yours but I never wanted to paint her and the have it all destroyed by the trees on the trail.

Greg

PGT

Adventurer
I posted this in the other thread but figured those in this thread would appreciate them too.

this isn't mine (it almost was) but I figured you guys would appreciate it. It's a '78 Cherokee Chief Sport; it was for sale locally a year ago and I DESPERATELY wanted to buy it. We had just bought a new house six months before and I promised I'd get through the end of the year without "wasting" money on toys. In retrospect, we both agreed we should have ignored that and bought it.

It ended up down in NC somewhere....whomever got it was a lucky SOB. 92k original miles and a full Edelbrock build on the 360. Almost too nice to wheel...which was my conundrum at the time.

gas4blood

Observer
Thanks. As a trail machine where we have a lot of deep mud holes, it's about perfect right now. The 33x12.5x15 Mud Terrains I had on it originally just didn't provide enough flotation for such a heavy vehicle so it would sink into the mud. These 35x14.5x15 Boggers are just perfect and it pretty well goes where I want it to without any problems.

So naturally, a lot of the people in the club are getting older, myself included, and the travel bug is getting worse so it's just about time to start making the changes to more of an expedition vehicle. The Boggers will go, and I might go with a 5.3 drivetrain or better yet, 4BT, and then rig it for overland trips.

Right now it's pretty purpose built so it's not a pretty as yours but I never wanted to paint her and the have it all destroyed by the trees on the trail.

Greg

Sounds like a cool build is coming in the future:)

I never really considered my Jeep to be "pretty" haha. Dont let the clean paint and shiny tires in my pictures fool you, I have wheeled this thing plenty. I do try my hardest to keep in it good shape though. Now that I think of it, two of the only real dents this Jeep has were caused by me and an encounter with some trees on the trail.

I would love to do a 4bt swap someday. I had a few other vehicles before this that were more purpose built. One toyota for rock crawling and a Scout II. Over the years I have really decided that mountain trails and expedition type wheeling is more my taste. I like a good challenging trail but wheeling is more of a means to an end for my family. The scenery and experiences along the way are what we enjoy the most.

Keep us posted on the transformation of the Wagoneer!

Blinkinlights

gas4blood - I read your build thread from start to finish. I knew what was going to happen when you started talking about injuring yourself on the brakes. Nice pics and a great Waggy war wound. haha That's the Blood part of the Blood Sweat and Tears that goes into all our old FSJ's.

I went through the vapor lock issues on my Wagoneer and solved them with an electrical fuel pump. Your carburetor problems are easily solved with a quadrajet which has been referred to as redneck fuel injection. The problem with the Holleys and the Carters/Edelbrock is that when you get off camber, the fuel dumps from one fuel bowl to the other. The quadrajet has one fuel bowl in the center and never has that problem. This video shows the Waggy out at a nearby four wheel park and the hills that I went up with no problems except that I missed connecting the main ground on the engine, which caused me some grief at the time until I figured it out. Since I installed that carb, I never had a problem with any hills up or down. Additionally, we go up to trails in the Rockies, I don't know if we hit the elevations you were describing but I never had an issue.

It's great to see you out using that old Wagoneer. I used to go out all the time but not so much lately. I'm turning 50 next year so I want to go down to Moab and possibly the Rubicon Trail next year. I need to do some mods to the old girl. The 5.3 would be the best option, with just fuel injection a cheaper second and just fixing what I have as being a probable third.

I'll make sure to post here when I make the changes. I also need to convert the interior for expedition trips as well. I ripped out all the carpet and used hippo liner on the entire floor, removed the rear seats and replaced the front ones with seats from a Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer.

Greg

gas4blood

Observer
gas4blood - I read your build thread from start to finish. I knew what was going to happen when you started talking about injuring yourself on the brakes. Nice pics and a great Waggy war wound. haha That's the Blood part of the Blood Sweat and Tears that goes into all our old FSJ's.

I went through the vapor lock issues on my Wagoneer and solved them with an electrical fuel pump. Your carburetor problems are easily solved with a quadrajet which has been referred to as redneck fuel injection. The problem with the Holleys and the Carters/Edelbrock is that when you get off camber, the fuel dumps from one fuel bowl to the other. The quadrajet has one fuel bowl in the center and never has that problem. This video shows the Waggy out at a nearby four wheel park and the hills that I went up with no problems except that I missed connecting the main ground on the engine, which caused me some grief at the time until I figured it out. Since I installed that carb, I never had a problem with any hills up or down. Additionally, we go up to trails in the Rockies, I don't know if we hit the elevations you were describing but I never had an issue.

It's great to see you out using that old Wagoneer. I used to go out all the time but not so much lately. I'm turning 50 next year so I want to go down to Moab and possibly the Rubicon Trail next year. I need to do some mods to the old girl. The 5.3 would be the best option, with just fuel injection a cheaper second and just fixing what I have as being a probable third.

I'll make sure to post here when I make the changes. I also need to convert the interior for expedition trips as well. I ripped out all the carpet and used hippo liner on the entire floor, removed the rear seats and replaced the front ones with seats from a Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer.

Greg

Dude I have no clue what you are talking about! haha. I think you have my Wagoneer confused with someone else.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader

Jakes01234

Explorer
That things beautiful and it would be one fun ride home hahaha
There is no buy it now button and im not one for bidding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk