Fuel capacity

So, whatcha got?

I've got 9 5-gal scepter cans. That plus the 21gal tank and the 14mpg "crappy, woods-roads" mileage I get, gives me an "effective" range of appx ~1000mi. Much more if I'm a "good boy".

So, imagine there's no more fuel being refined. How far are you going to get?

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
23gal stock tank, gonna put in a 20gal aux tank eventually. Two jerry cans sit on top. Currently getting 13mpg, so I can make it nearly 400 miles before I have to worry.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
19 gals stock tank + 21 gal auxiliary tank = a comfortable 500 mile range with 100 mile reserve to bone dry. I do have another 20 gallon marine tank that had previously installed and is still set up for a quick connection. I found that it was not needed and carrying the extra weight was more of a liability than advantage.

cruiser guy

Explorer
50 gallon long range tank in the '55 now and I'll be doing the same with the '60 this summer. Multiply that by a very conservative 20 mpg (25 is possible, remember I'm running diesel) and I have a range of 1000 miles without any jerry cans. Add in the 3 5 gallon jerry cans and the range becomes a minimum of 1300 miles. Not bad for an SUV.

The single large tank and lack of jerry cans is a bonus in Mexico where jerry cans can cause you problems due to fuel export restrictions.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
At an average of 6.7 lbs per gallon I've concluded that for me personally ~35 gallons is the breaking point. Beyond that the weight penalty becomes a large consideration.

That said, the Sub has a 40 gallon OE tank. So best case known possible is a 620 mile range. Patch has a 17 (with a replacement ~33 in SolidWorks), so a current best case 320 mile range with potential future best case 560 mile range. My 60 is stock and I've no idea what it's range will be, yet. I have a 45 gal tank that may just fit it......

The more important question is: How long can your bladder go? :sombrero:

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
46 Gallon transfer flow tank with 20 gallons spare on the back. So 66 total gallons. With mileage being at 11-12.. we can do anywhere from 600-800 miles on one fuel up. Not super impressive given the V10.. but acceptable range.

If we had the diesel, we'd be getting 1000-1200 miles per fuel up :D

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
how far ?

21 gal tank (2) 5 gal jerry cans 25 MPG 775 miles before I have to stop and pick up used veggie oil at the ransacked McDonalds.

EricG

Explorer
25 gal tank on a Discovery, so about 10 miles. On a good day I can get a little over 350 miles on a tank, that is if I want to push it with the gas light on.

Really depends on the wind,anything on top, stars and moon.

rickc

Adventurer
The Hummer has a 25g main and 17g reserve so at an average of 12mpg it has a 504 mile range.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
My backcountry Scout (Festus) has a 33 gal main tank and two 10 gal aux tanks. Then I carry a minimum of 4, and sometimes 6, 20L Nato cans. So I always start with either 73 or 83 gallons of fuel on board. I don't know what mpg I'm getting, but I know I can go a LOOoong way between fuel stops.

JP

Robthebrit

Explorer
2x100 gallons, 12-14mpg, 2400-2800 miles.

I never typically have that much because of the weight and the effort it takes to lug it around.

Rob

t0mills

Adventurer
My suburban has a 42 gallon tank, but actually holds 44 gallons if you count all of the lines and filler.

On my last trip out, I would refill every 500miles or so, and only put in 38-39 gallons.

I've also got 4x 5L Jerry Cans, but no where to put them....yet.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Had my main tank custom rebuilt (CBI - see link below)) from 90L to 160 L, about 1400 km range...~ Home to Salt Lake City on one tank, now to install a latrine!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy