Fuel mileage for vans

CSG

Explorer
My PW Traverse has the 5.4 V8. I run Michelin LTX tires and drive conservatively. I've been averaging about 17 MPG in combined driving.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
V10 SMB's generally get 11-12 and the Diesels get 16-18.

Our 2003 V10 with 4.11's and 35's usually gets around 10-11.. sometimes 12. We get our info from the Scanguage.

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
This may be a good time to discuss everyone's method of calculating MPG's. Especially with vans that may have larger tires & speedos that may not be 100% accurate.

I fill up till the pump clicks off, get my mileage from my GPS trip computer, then divide the mileage by the gallons. Simple as that, reset, start over.

Maybe I have been misinformed but I was told that you can take your vehicle to a speedo shop and they will calibrate your speedometer with the larger tires/wheels and then your MPH, and so on will be accurate. Is this not true?

EMrider

Explorer
V10 SMB's generally get 11-12 and the Diesels get 16-18.

Our 2003 V10 with 4.11's and 35's usually gets around 10-11.. sometimes 12. We get our info from the Scanguage.

That is pretty close to what I get with our diesel SMB 4x4. I check mileage with the GPS and it is consistently about 16mpg for highway driving.

R

Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Maybe I have been misinformed but I was told that you can take your vehicle to a speedo shop and they will calibrate your speedometer with the larger tires/wheels and then your MPH, and so on will be accurate. Is this not true?

On some vehicles, yes. Some trucks can be calibrated with an aftermarket tuner. Some can't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven