Full Size Dodge Thread

The Namqualanders

Halo everyone.

I am new to this site and to overlanding in the USA.

I am from South Africa originally where i did a lot of off roading and overlanding throughout Africa, but most vehicles used for off roading and overlanding in South Africa would be about the size of Tocoma, Tundra or Rangers and off coarse Land Cruiser and Land Rovers.

I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 with the 8ft bed, other than airbags , a bullbar bumper and some LED lights it is still standard. i tow my RV all the time as we are Full time RV living and use this truck for towing only for the most part.
Any advice and information on my truck and if it will make a good 4x4 overlanding truck , i know the wheelbase being so long might be a downside, but do i have to buy another vehicle just for overlanding or will my dodge get me by all or most of the time? i cant necessarily afford another vehicle just for overlanding and my wife's civic wont do it either so i am hoping you guys have some good news for me to get started.

Maybe you guys can help with ideas of some upgrades that i would need or things i could add to make it better, i dont need to spend too much money if npot necessary, i still have to use it for towing my RV too but i would definitely appreciate some tips and ideas to make my pickup work .

Also i am new to this forum hopefully i posted my question in the right place.

Thank youpickup.jpgpick.jpg

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Did you put some snow plow springs on it? The Ranch Hand combined with the leverage of the bikes must strain the springs.

The Namqualanders

Did you put some snow plow springs on it? The Ranch Hand combined with the leverage of the bikes must strain the springs.
No sir, i did not change the springs, the ranch hand is pretty heavy , the bike on the other hand doesn't weigh much and i don't load it up there regularly i just had to take it with me this time i took the picture, i did not seem to make a difference after i loaded the little bike on there.

The Namqualanders

Here is my 2000 ram 2500 24v 5.9 diesel automatic, Been lurking here a while reading as much as i can. Bought a used camper shell and cleaned it up, bought some cheap white roll on bed liner and sealed it all up. Currently have a 50w renogy solar panel run to a goal Zero 150 Ive had for years. Got a yeti in the back seat at all times i keep tied down and snacks in. Working on slowly getting a bed and drawer system built to put into the camper that I can also easily take out. Hoping to do a bunch of road/overland trips here in the future as things die down around the country. Anyways, I was goign to make a thread to introduce myself BUT I saw this and figured I’d throw it in here. View attachment 581936
I like that,it looks nice! i would be interested to hear more about the trails you go on with it. i am just starting out here in the USA and am very eager to get going and explore some rural USA.

The Namqualanders

A
DP8pUas.jpg

A little Oregon Trail action.
Awesome, do you ever do serious 4x4 off road trails with it? i will be very curious to hear about it or see some pictures of what it can do, i have a 2009 8ft bed dodge ram 3500 and haven't been able to take it on any trails yet but i am curious how it will do and how much of a disadvantage the long wheel base will give me?

jonathon

A

Awesome, do you ever do serious 4x4 off road trails with it? i will be very curious to hear about it or see some pictures of what it can do, i have a 2009 8ft bed dodge ram 3500 and haven't been able to take it on any trails yet but i am curious how it will do and how much of a disadvantage the long wheel base will give me?

Not a whole lot of trails around here though we have lots of USFS and BLM roads that vary from well graded to almost washed out. The long wheel base works really well for those, smoother than shorter trucks in my opinion. The big downside is tight turns take some effort.

sherpa1

I am running 295 70 18 nittos. They are almost 35 inches tall and 12 1/2 inches wide. I went from 15/16 mpg in the city to 12/13. I almost wish I would have gone 285 for mpg advantage.

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Maybe you guys can help with ideas of some upgrades that i would need or things i could add to make it better, i dont need to spend too much money if npot necessary, i still have to use it for towing my RV too but i would definitely appreciate some tips and ideas to make my pickup work .

Also i am new to this forum hopefully i posted my question in the right place.

Thank you

I ran an '09 QCLB 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi for a few years. Ended up with some wheels about like yours, 35x12.50R20 MT's, Ranch Hands front and rear, 12k winch, biggest Weatherguard tool box they make.

Biggest problem was terrible ride. Added diesel springs to the front, that did wonders for the ride quality. Bilstein remote resi's and extended control arms rounded out the suspension. And a front sway bar delete. Ended up riding pretty good for a fraction of the cost of the Carli/Thuren stuff.

Winch was the biggest need because once you get the big girl stuck the Tacos and Wranglers of the world will be unable to assist...

The extended control arms got the tires out of the cab corners but I still needed to drop the bump stops a little to keep them off the corners of the bumper at extreme flex and lock!

jonathon

I am running 295 70 18 nittos. They are almost 35 inches tall and 12 1/2 inches wide. I went from 15/16 mpg in the city to 12/13. I almost wish I would have gone 285 for mpg advantage.

That’s 2500 fuel mileage! 5.7 Hemi with 3.92 gears?

Im at 12.5 city and 16 highway with my 2500. Most of my driving qualifies as city so my average is just under 13. I’m expecting to drop to 12 MPG city and 15 highway on my 2500 when I go up to a 295/70R18 but I have a 6.4 Hemi with 4.10 gears. The stock 275/70R18 tires are only about 1” shorter and 1” narrower than the 295/70R18 tires will be. Difference is pretty small.

The Namqualanders

Thank you for the informaton i will definitely look into it. Yes i figured i would need a good winch! what disadvantages do you think my long wheel base will have for me?

I ran an '09 QCLB 2500 with the 5.7 Hemi for a few years. Ended up with some wheels about like yours, 35x12.50R20 MT's, Ranch Hands front and rear, 12k winch, biggest Weatherguard tool box they make.

Biggest problem was terrible ride. Added diesel springs to the front, that did wonders for the ride quality. Bilstein remote resi's and extended control arms rounded out the suspension. And a front sway bar delete. Ended up riding pretty good for a fraction of the cost of the Carli/Thuren stuff.

Winch was the biggest need because once you get the big girl stuck the Tacos and Wranglers of the world will be unable to assist...

The extended control arms got the tires out of the cab corners but I still needed to drop the bump stops a little to keep them off the corners of the bumper at extreme flex and lock!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater