Full Size Dodge Thread

jonathon

Thank you for the informaton i will definitely look into it. Yes i figured i would need a good winch! what disadvantages do you think my long wheel base will have for me?

Negotiating tight turns without dragging the rear axle over whatever you’re trying to go around. You get really good at multipoint turns. You can go anywhere a short bed can, just with a little more finesse.

Gummee

wannabe traveler
So the new-to-me Ram 2500 arrived a few weeks ago. Ride sucks eggs. I thought my 2wd PSD rode somewhat stiffly. This thing is like the deuce and a half I drove while in the Army. Maybe even stiffer.

Gotta do something about that before driving to Big Bend next winter.

M

Halligan

Adventurer
So the new-to-me Ram 2500 arrived a few weeks ago. Ride sucks eggs. I thought my 2wd PSD rode somewhat stiffly. This thing is like the deuce and a half I drove while in the Army. Maybe even stiffer.

M

Check out Carli or Thuren suspension systems. Your ride will improve drastically if you invest in one of them.

chet6.7

Explorer

M
Do you usually drive around empty? Put a few hundred pounds in the back as see how you like it.If you put a Carli or Thuren front level with good shocks it will ride better in the front.If you put Thuren's rear coils in you will lose payload capacity,I suspect the ride is better though.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'd go with Thuren as his King's come in six different valving's. If you're going to keep the truck they are worth it. His coils run super smooth,trackbar's superb. Everything he sells is well engineered. Small business too.

Gummee

wannabe traveler
Do you usually drive around empty? Put a few hundred pounds in the back as see how you like it.If you put a Carli or Thuren front level with good shocks it will ride better in the front.If you put Thuren's rear coils in you will lose payload capacity,I suspect the ride is better though.
It isn't the back that's bad, it's the front!

IDK if there's 'diesel' springs in the front that's making the thing ride like a tank or just that I need to adjust my expectations.

Thuren doesn't seem to make springs for my gen gas trucks these days. ...at least not in the 'I don't want any more height' springs that I want

M

chet6.7

Explorer

IDK if there's 'diesel' springs in the front that's making the thing ride like a tank or just that I need to adjust my expectations.

Thuren doesn't seem to make springs for my gen gas trucks these days. ...at least not in the 'I don't want any more height' springs that I want

M
It would help if you gave more info on your truck,year,gas,diesel,ect. I put Thuren front springs on,it does ride better in the front,the rear is stiff over a steep and high speed bump.What size tire are you running?

Last edited:

jonathon

M

Tires and tire pressure play a huge role in ride feel. If you’re driving a stock 2nd gen with stock size cheerio tires inflated to 80 PSI it’s going to be rough.

Gummee

wannabe traveler
It would help if you gave more info on your truck,year,gas,diesel,ect. I put Thuren front springs on,it does ride better in the front,the rear is stiff over a steep and high speed bump.What size tire are you running?
I thought I did, but if I didn't:

2004 2500 crew cab shortbed w the 5.7 engine and a 5MT. That 5MT is the reason I bought the truck.

There's an ARE cap on the back that may be helping a wee bit

AFAIK it's bone stock suspension-wise, but I've only had the thing for a few weeks. Can't register it cause the DMV is closed. Grrrr

M

nitro_rat

Lunchbox Lockers
Thank you for the informaton i will definitely look into it. Yes i figured i would need a good winch! what disadvantages do you think my long wheel base will have for me?

Just turning radius really. Sometimes the extra wheelbase helps, sometimes it hurts. Climbing up hill you'll have an advantage over SWB rigs, tight trails will be more challenging because it takes more space to maneuver. I also got stuck across a narrow road several times as the front and rear tires would end up in both ditches high centered in the middle. I've always ran Suburbans and now I have an Excursion. I'm working on restoring my '84 K20 Suburban as the Ex is just too damn HEAVY.

Gummee

wannabe traveler
Tell us about the tires,size,air pressure,maybe we can help you out if we know the tire specs.
The PO put stock wheels/tires from a '16 Laramie on the truck before I got it. 20" wheels: 285/60/20 IIRC

Checked the pressure the other day and dropped em all to about 50psi

M

chet6.7

Explorer
The PO put stock wheels/tires from a '16 Laramie on the truck before I got it. 20" wheels: 285/60/20 IIRC

Checked the pressure the other day and dropped em all to about 50psi

M
20's are rough riding because of the small sidewall,maybe a 37 on a 20 rides better,I don't know,but I suspect it helps..The more sidewall the more cushion,also probably more sway in a corner,trade offs with everything.Some like 17's for the sidewall,but,check the weight rating of 17's.I stayed with 18's as a good compromise.My take is, go to a bigger tire in the 20, or, go to a smaller wheel diameter for a better ride.
Weighing you truck and consulting the tire manufacturer's website for the weight/payload specs would be something to look into.Money,money.

Gummee

wannabe traveler
20's are rough riding because of the small sidewall,maybe a 37 on a 20 rides better,I don't know,but I suspect it helps..The more sidewall the more cushion,also probably more sway in a corner,trade offs with everything.Some like 17's for the sidewall,but,check the weight rating of 17's.I stayed with 18's as a good compromise.My take is, go to a bigger tire in the 20, or, go to a smaller wheel diameter for a better ride.
Weighing you truck and consulting the tire manufacturer's website for the weight/payload specs would be something to look into.Money,money.
yeah, it's all about the benjamins, ain't it?! ...or lack of benjamins anyways.

I'm thinking going back to stock sized wheels, with a larger diameter tire to soften the ride some. This thing ain't a sports car so cornering isn't my main concern

M

edited to add: while I'm thinking about it who makes a good spare tire carrier that doubles as a rear bumper?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues