Fuse block for accessories

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Depends on the fuse block. I have seen some where all are hot with a single hot input. Others have two different positive inputs allow you to have always hot and switched hot. Many different ways of doing things. BTW relays are your friend for doing switching.

As for hooking up lights (or anything for that matter) you have two different ways to do it, series and parallel. In the light example, series will divide the voltage by the number of lights (i.e. 12v input + 3 lights = each light runs at 4 volts). Parallel adds the current together for each light (lights peak load .25A x 4 lights = 1A total draw).

To help wrap your head around electricity, research Ohms Law and that can help explain things. Also, don't confuse AC and DC electrical. Though similar, they have some definite differences. DC is easy for me, AC I am still somewhat fuzzy on at times.

cool. thanks mike I was just reading a bit about wiring in parallel vs. series.

Seems like parallel is the way to go, to keep it simple cuz I can just glean the peak load from each accessory and ensure that I don't go past the 70-80% mark per circuit, as you were saying.

Also, I like the idea of having the rest of the lights still burning if one goes out if they're in parallel, as opposed to acting like fuse and breaking the circuit as with a series setup. cool.

Last edited:

ExpoMike

In your case, you have to go parallel since you are using pre-made lights that are designed for 12 per set.

If you were building your own from scratch, you could design them for series or series/parallel to work with 12vdc source.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
In your case, you have to go parallel since you are using pre-made lights that are designed for 12 per set.

If you were building your own from scratch, you could design them for series or series/parallel to work with 12vdc source.

Did you see the ones I was looking @ on west marine?

why exactly do they have to go parallel? Something to do with having a resistor and a diode in each unit?

Are they rated for a certain standard circuit? (e.g. 15amp?)

adrenaline503

Explorer
you should be able to go in series, unless there is some sort of termination at the end the strand you cant tap in. Do you have the specs on the the lights?

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
you should be able to go in series, unless there is some sort of termination at the end the stend you cant tap in. Do you have the specs on the the lights?

Not quite decided yet. there are some on the west marine site I just saw that draw very little amperage. These would be interior lights for different idea's I'm tossing around.

Then, I'm thinking of wiring several sets of rock/undercarriage lights, as well as driving lights together. Those will likely be Hella 500's or IPf's standard fare.

After that I would like to wire a work/back up work light on a telescoping pole for afterdark camp setups, etc. probably a tractor supply or cheapie used Hella/Piaa/4wheelparts special, etc.

I'm more trying to understand what kind of off the shelf products I should be looking at, so its all fairly flexible at this point.

:chef:

ExpoMike

Unless they are designed for "daisy chaining" most lights have a + wire and - wire. The assembly is rated for 12vdc input and need this voltage to run. If you put them in series, remember you divide the voltage by the number of units. If you have three assemblies in series, each unit only gets 4vdc which is not enough to light the units.

If you have units that will daisy chain, most likely they are doing so in parrallel, just internally.

adrenaline503

Explorer
Unless they are designed for "daisy chaining" most lights have a + wire and - wire. The assembly is rated for 12vdc input and need this voltage to run. If you put them in series, remember you divide the voltage by the number of units. If you have three assemblies in series, each unit only gets 4vdc which is not enough to light the units.

If you have units that will daisy chain, most likely they are doing so in parrallel, just internally.

Right. But most circuits are internally wired parallel in case you lose a light. Since LEDs dont burn out that often I have no idea how they are wired.

ExpoMike

Right. But most circuits are internally wired parallel in case you lose a light. Since LEDs dont burn out that often I have no idea how they are wired.

Correct, an array of LED's in a housing would be wired in parallel to prevent a single light from killing the whole array but you cannot wire a series of arrays together in series because the array needs a specific voltage input to work correctly. In series the voltage is divided evenly across all arrays. For multiple arrays to work, they have to be in parallel so they all see the same voltage.

Make sense. :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

adrenaline503

Explorer
Oh, it makes sense. I just wonder if it NEEDS that much voltage. Might be set up to run on 12 but only needs 4 or something. I just wired up a GPS that took anywhere from 9 to 48 VDC.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Not that cheap but here is a great option that also includes relays. I ordered two of these direct from waytek but you have to put about an hour in to make sure you have absolutely all the parts and it adds up to close ot what he is selling these for (except that you get a lot of spare parts). I figure I can order two fuse panels only more for the next vehicle with the $75 each I figure I put into each fuse panel...

http://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/348604-universal-aux-fuse-relay-block-opinion.html

attachment.php

attachment.php

These are basically water proof except for submersion... And very nice I think...

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
Sorry, hijack

Sorry, for hijacking this thread, but I'm somewhat in the same situation. Planning on running a 12 fuse Blue Sea block in my TJ and wondering if anybody has some photos of the mounting location(s)? Thank you in advance.

barlowrs

Explorer
Sorry, for hijacking this thread, but I'm somewhat in the same situation. Planning on running a 12 fuse Blue Sea block in my TJ and wondering if anybody has some photos of the mounting location(s)? Thank you in advance.

My full write-up should be up next week, but I mounted mine in my engine bay.
Also, I want to give credit to tooblutacoma06 and his install thread for my inspiration: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37333&highlight=blue+sea

Here is mine:
IMG_1838.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven