Garage find, 1985 fj60.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Hey there,
The wife and I have been contemplating picking up a few vehicles as projects to eventually rent to the film and TV industry that she works in. We wanted those vehicles to be ones we can enjoy ourselves. We agreed that one of the models would be a fj60 or 62. Turns out our friends dad has a 1985 fj60 sitting in his garage for 10 years or so. I asked her if her dad would interested in selling it. He first tried to talk me out of it by letting me know the horrible gas mileage it gets and every other thing that would go wrong. I told him I was aware of a lot of the vehicles faults.
I stopped by the garage today to see the brown 1985 fj60 used as art storage. I couldn't find any rust on the vehicle. Nothing on the roof or around the windows. Looked under the cruiser, saw a few leaks but a clean frame. My friend told me that when she was a kid they traveled through a view states that used salt in the roads so her dad had the underside coated prior to the trip. Interior was just ok. Some cracks in the dash and stains on the floor. Seat covers so I'm assuming the worse. Engine was rebuilt prior to parking it for 10 years or so. My friend found the last service record in the glove box. In 05 it was smogged and then put on non-op. That was at 185k. I have yet to hear an asking price but my friend thinks that if he was to get the price of the rebuild back he would be happy. I asked her to try to get a ball park from him.

If I was to pick up one of these I would first get it driving and safe. I imagine a new battery, fuel system flush/replacement, fluids all around etc. anything else? Next would be transmission swap to a h55f.
Let me know what you all think. I have done some reading on the 60's but this would be my first.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Hard to tell from just those pics, but it looks REALLY nice. Engine compartment looks great. In my mind, even with the unknowns, that is probably a $5-6K vehicle. Since it sounds like you can trust the seller and it probably has no major issues (engine or tranny), it probably is just some elbow grease from being an $8-10K vehicle. I think I'm being pretty conservative with those numbers too.

I would say anything under $5K is a bargain (unless the interior is completely shot) provided you're willing to put the time in to get it running. I sold my 60 series years ago, but from my recollection, the smog pump is a major expense and problem area, but I assume it may be smog exempt now even in California. If not, there are some cheaper pumps, but they are failure prone. Other than that, it is just tuning the carb and navigating the numerous vacuum lines and little vacuum switches.

I'm not sure I would want another one unless it could be made smog exempt. I would probably just run a cat and tear the rest of the stuff out. But that is just me. I do miss my 60 series and it wasn't near as nice as that.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
...but I assume it may be smog exempt now even in California.

Yeah nothing newer than 1975 is smog exempt here.
Still waiting on a price from the owner. If its out of my budget I told them I would help the post it online.
I'll get more pictures next time I see it.

justcuz

Explorer
If your wife works in the industry she probably knows that they usually prefer lighter colored cars and most movie stars can't drive a stick.
So unless it will be rented as a backround car and specified in your contract that no changes are made to the vehicle, you may not make a ton of money.
I had a couple of old cars on a studio rental list for several years, only got called about 3 times.
There are guys out there now who own a ton of cars and are used almost exclusively for movie rentals.
Then there are the horror stories about how guys have had cars hacked up or wrecked by the studios, so do your research and be aware.
I am only saying all this because it looks like a nice vehicle and would hate to see it needlessly abused for a few hundred dollars you would make from the studio rental.
Oh and I know the studios have insurance for all this, but in my mind having done this in the past, it's not at all as glamorous as it seems.
Movies shoots can be boring, time consuming and frankly quite agitating if you have some pissy self absorbed actor instilling some drama in every take.

Last edited:

Colington

That's a great find in a good color too. If it's a battery, deep clean and some new fuel away from running well, it's a 10k all day cruiser here in San Diego. These have seen a big jump in price over the last three years and the runs free ones command a premium. A quick peek at craigslist here has several (higher mileage) light rust and ugly as sin models going for 7k plus...

Go for it.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
If your wife works in the industry she probably knows that they usually prefer lighter colored cars and most movie stars can't drive a stick.
So unless it will be rented as a backround car and specified in your contract that no changes are made to the vehicle, you may not make a ton of money.
I had a couple of old cars on a studio rental list for several years, only got called about 3 times.
There are guys out there now who own a ton of cars and are used almost exclusively for movie rentals.
Then there are the horror stories about how guys have had cars hacked up or wrecked by the studios, so do your research and be aware.
I am only saying all this because it looks like a nice vehicle and would hate to see it needlessly abused for a few hundred dollars you would make from the studio rental.
Oh and I know the studios have insurance for all this, but in my mind having done this in the past, it's not at all as glamorous as it seems.
Movies shoots can be boring, time consuming and frankly quite agitating if you have some pissy self absorbed actor instilling some drama in every take.

My wife works in costume so she did not know the color preference of movie, thanks for all the info. We will keep that in mind. She is going to speak to the transpo department on her next gig.

Getting a price out this guy is like pulling teeth...

zimm

Expedition Leader
you must be young.

show up with cash in hand and typed up intent to sell. if you wait, someone like me shows up with cash in hand and trailer, and gets a deal.

as tuco said, when you have to shoot, shoot. dont talk.

huntsonora

Explorer
you must be young.

show up with cash in hand and typed up intent to sell. if you wait, someone like me shows up with cash in hand and trailer, and gets a deal.

Yep! Cash motivates

justcuz

Explorer
My wife works in costume so she did not know the color preference of movie, thanks for all the info. We will keep that in mind. She is going to speak to the transpo department on her next gig.

Getting a price out this guy is like pulling teeth...

Did he at least say how much the rebuild cost him? If he wants to recoup that I would have that cash in hand when you visit him next.
I concur with the rest of these guys, when you pull the cash out of your pocket, if he is really motivated, he will sell.
That being said, he sounds like he was talking you out of it because of bad gas mileage etc. He might not be ready yet.

JasonRedwood

Explorer
you must be young.

Ha, "young"/inexperienced... thats why I'm here lookin for advice.

Did he at least say how much the rebuild cost him? If he wants to recoup that I would have that cash in hand when you visit him next.
I concur with the rest of these guys, when you pull the cash out of your pocket, if he is really motivated, he will sell.
That being said, he sounds like he was talking you out of it because of bad gas mileage etc. He might not be ready yet.

His daughter texted me the other day that he did pay around 5k for the rebuild but he said he wasn't looking to get that much. Walking around their house they don't really seem to be ready to part with much of anything.
I'm going to go over there with cash in hand after I finish up a couple freelance jobs.

Thanks for all the input fellas.

onemanarmy

Explorer
If you can get it for $5k, do it. as long as there isn't a hole in the block. Even then, it may be worth it.

A rust free 60 would net you close to 10k on the right coast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online