Garmin Edge 705

Scott Brady

Founder
I have talked with Christophe about this unit a bit, but wanted to see if any other forum members have experience with it.

Garmin Edge 705

cf-lg.jpg

You can integrate other devices, like a HR Monitor, etc., which I should probably have after my last ride with Christophe :D

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I thought I'd bring our discussion here to see if it ignites any sparks.

I've been using various computers over the years since '86 when I mounted my first Cateye Solar (still a great unit). The Garmin Edge 705 might be in my opinion the best bicycle computer ever to hit the market.

Pros: It's wireless. It installs in seconds and hops from bike to bike without tricky calibrations. The screen allows you to customize the data sets you want to see at any given time. It offers far more data than most other units, especially when paired with an ANT+ compatible watt meter.

Cons: The training software provided by Garmin is terrible. Polar's training software is far superior as is the software from Power Tap, SRM, etc. If you want to process all that training data with the Garmin software, you're going to be bummed. As a backcountry unit, the 705 is marginal at best. For one thing, the battery isn't good for more than 15 hours before it needs recharged - no AAs. I've done rides that lasted longer than 15 hours. It also can't easily mark way points and label them as other Garmin units can. I didn't really like the cadence/speed sensor mine came with so I ditched it.

The heart rate monitor seems to work quickly without any problems with cardiac drift. Durability has been fine for me, but I'm very careful with my stuff. Others have had issue with durability, but this is a chronic problem with mountain bikers and their toys in general.

Overall, as a bicycle computer it doesn't get better. As a backcountry GPS unit, it leaves much to be desired.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
For one thing, the battery isn't good for more than 15 hours before it needs recharged - no AAs. I've done rides that lasted longer than 15 hours.

I noticed that it is charged from a standard mini-USB, which would open up the possibility of solar and other small aux. chargers.
81-000003-1.jpg

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
I've been drooling over one since they first came out, but I never considered using one on a mountain bike. On a mountain bike I want to find/stay on the right trails and then get back to my car regardless of where the trail spits me out. I couldn't care less about speed or power output, though on occasion I will ride with a HRM because so many rides start out up, followed quickly by Up, UP and UP!!!, and I need to make sure I am not putting out too much effort too early. If I'm pulling the girl in a trailer I won't bother with a HRM because I don't need a computer to remind me how much I am suffering.

Also, as I am very candid about, I have absolutely no skills on a bike and having a $650 GPS on my handlebars is pointless, let alone a $1,000 rear wheel with a Powertap. It all depends on your goals, but if it were me I would go with a used eTrex (or something similarly functional and disposable) and a cheap HRM with instantaneous and max HR (so you can see how hard you were working when you were seeing spots on that last climb), probably about $175 for both. Put the remaining $475 toward something that matters (new seat, shock, wheels, tires, etc.).

Riding on the road is a totally different story. It is much easier to get really lost on road than off (at least where I tend to ride) and wind up several towns away from where I thought I was. On road I actually would like to monitor several variables (speed, average speed, avg grade, max grade, speed over grade, HR over grade, power output mapped to terrain and HR, etc.) for training, long term tracking, immediate curiosity, etc., not to mention a GPS map of where I am and how to get back to the car/home. This is where the 705 is peerless and the battery life isn't so much a concern.

You might also see whether "there is an app for that."

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
BigGreen and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum. I'm sure that has much to do with where we ride and what info we want from those rides. For me, it would be impossible to get lost on our paved roads but we've got probably 150 miles of trails in the area with not a single one of them longer than 5 miles. A typical ride offroad for me might link up as many as two dozen different trails. Having a GPS to record those rides (maybe with some navigation) is nice.

I also agree that having a bunch of data on a mountain bike isn't always necessary. Knowing my speed and cadence on a singlespeed mtb is pointless, but those digits on my cyclocross or road bikes helps me hone my fitness. Most data I get on the mountain bike is just for gee-whiz factor. On the road I use that data for structured training.

I'm also of the opinion that a HR monitor is little more than a funny number generator without using those digits in proper context. So you're HR on a climb hits 175. What does that mean? Nothing unless you put that in context with a very specific training plan or understanding of how your HR impacts your performance.

The one thing I find very cool about the 705 is the ability to route-share from unit to unit. I can rip out a cool ride, meet up with another buddy with a 705 and I can have my 705 tell his 705 where I went. That instant route-sharing is bound to catch on.

billy

Love it!

I use mine for road biking, mountain biking, hiking, and off roading. I wanted a unit that could do it all, and this is it. It can navigate you through the streets in whatever city as long as you have the maps installed; no sound, however.

Combine it with Garmin's Connect website, which is free, and you have a very powerful tool!

http://connect.garmin.com/dashboard?cid=43932

--Billy

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I wanted a unit that could do it all, and this is it. 32[/url]

--Billy
First, I'm of the opinion that Garmin is evil and their next breakthrough product is likely to be a Death Star looming over the earth, but they are really savvy people.

None of their GPS units are truly "do all" units. Some have some crossover ability from car to pack to moto to bike, but for the most part, if you want a backcountry unit you have to get one of their handhelds. If you want a bike computer, you have to get an Edge, etc. That's smart.

The Edge 705 comes darn close to the do all, but not quite completely.

OneTime

Adventurer
I really wish someone would make a small 'do-all" like the Bushell Onynx with satalite radio, weather and something with Spot capabilites would be great. Having a bike, hike and vehicle units sucks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online